• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumping out of lurker mode as well. Not to drop "My dog knows a high-level Sprint rep who knows a cat who knows a Verizon rep" post, but to ask a semi-serious question, that might be stupid:

Every time I got a phone from Verizon (in store), they ripped it open to set it up for me. Assuming it comes out in stores the same time it hits online, I'd most likely just drive over and pick one up before my 9:30 class. Of course I'd have to be in and out and not let them set it up.

Basically: Is it possible to just go in, pay for the phone, then leave without them activating it for me?

Welcome to the party!

Store hours vary depending on location IIRC. Maybe not if the GNex is dropping tomorrow, though. But it probably won't considering they're not going to make an announcement tonight and they would have to do so before store hours tomorrow, and we haven't heard reports of shipments coming to other stores yet.

Yes, that is correct. I have one by me that opens at 9. Although I wonder if that's another difference between the corporate stores and resellers

Upvote 0
While I'm certainly not cool enough to have a real "Source", I just came back from a visit to my local VZW corporate store (Avondale, AZ) where I needed to inquire about a billing issue.

Obviously while there, I was going to squeeze them for info.

I talked to 3 different people, including Kyle, the manager on duty. Believe me, they were seemed more interested in watching the Bears/Chargers on tablets than helping me or feigning or disavowing any knowledge about the Nexus. The 2 salesmen said they were waiting for the Nexus too and had heard absolutely nothing, and that I would probably find out before they do.

Kyle (the manager) said they hadn't even received training on it yet, so tomorrow was definitely not happening "but it could still be sometime this week". He stated that if it was going to be tomorrow, they'd have them in the back and they didn't. He said he had heard absolutely zilch also.

I watched very carefully for any tell-tale evasion or deception and could detect none. They were glued to the tablet and casually answering my questions as easily as answering someone who had asked for the time of day.

I even showed them the screenshot on my Xoom of the new phone release date page that showed "Samsung Galaxy Nexus w/o 11/21" and they said they'd never seen anything like that before. I did get one of the salesmen to take my number and agree to text me when he heard some news or got training for the Nexus.

I know this isn't much, but it's another piece to add to the larger intelligence picture. I will dutifully report back if I hear anything.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is correct. I have one by me that opens at 9. Although I wonder if that's another difference between the corporate stores and resellers

They have different levels of retailers. One of my best friends works for a reseller but they aren't one of the premium super resellers so they struggle to get any phone on release day much less a hot phone. Took them about a week to get the Razr. Your basically a second class citizen if you arent a corporate store or a giant independent chain the way I understand it.

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
Last time I checked If you account for the $10.00 "cool phone tax" sprint was $10.00 cheaper than Verizon.

With a 22% business discount, no Sprint 4g build out here it's not even comparable.

Okay let me put it bluntly then. I would pay $30 more a month for the same service if the company didn't screw me around.

Like I said I don't know what I'm doing yet but VZW is getting on my last nerve. THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

:)

Reactions: cusjs and BabyBlues
Upvote 0
I don't even know what to think anymore. I don't even know why I'm so anxious, since my current phone work perfectly. I just really wanted a pure Google phone uninhibited by Verizon. If that doesn't happen, then I guess I'll just keep waiting. Though the RAZR is very tempting, despite being locked down. Who wouldn't like a phone wrapped in Kevlar? Its a phone and a trauma plate wrapped in one!

OT:

I really used to be a St. Louis Rams fan, but lately they're just a bunch of masochistic exhibitionists. They love getting spanked on national TV every Sunday. However, my Packers never disappoint.

Upvote 0
While I'm certainly not cool enough to have a real "Source", I just came back from a visit to my local VZW corporate store (Avondale, AZ) where I needed to inquire about a billing issue.

Obviously while there, I was going to squeeze them for info.

I talked to 3 different people, including Kyle, the manager on duty. Believe me, they were seemed more interested in watching the Bears/Chargers on tablets than helping me or feigning or disavowing any knowledge about the Nexus. The 2 salesmen said they were waiting for the Nexus too and had heard absolutely nothing, and that I would probably find out before they do.

Kyle (the manager) said they hadn't even received training on it yet, so tomorrow was definitely not happening "but it could still be sometime this week". He stated that if it was going to be tomorrow, they'd have them in the back and they didn't. He said he had heard absolutely zilch also.

I watched very carefully for any tell-tale evasion or deception and could detect none. They were glued to the tablet and casually answering my questions as easily as answering someone who had asked for the time of day.

I even showed them the screenshot on my Xoom of the new phone release date page that showed "Samsung Galaxy Nexus w/o 11/21" and they said they'd never seen anything like that before. I did get one of the salesmen to take my number and agree to text me when he heard some news or got training for the Nexus.

I know this isn't much, but it's another piece to add to the larger intelligence picture. I will dutifully report back if I hear anything.

Yep I don't think we should expect being able to buy the phone tomorrow, but rather some sort of announcement on Verizon's part. Let's keep our finger's crossed!

Upvote 0
If I am allowed some latitude to make a few assumptions I would like to pose a hypothetical?

Assume the phones are in an American warehouse somewhere or better in the process of making to the stores.

Assume all bugs are worked out or any minor bugs that may still exist are easily fixed w/ an OTA patch.

Assume there is no stall tactic to sale more 'x' phones before the GNex release.

If these assumptions all hold true I truly truly cannot see a VZN not shooting for a BF release with lots of fanfare and advertising going on from Samsung and Google unless I am so blinded by the fact this phone is truly not a mainstream phone that will bring masses to the wonders of an android phone and it is only for us nerds that are on the fringe.

Thoughts, retorts, etc?

Upvote 0
If I am allowed some latitude to make a few assumptions I would like to pose a hypothetical?

Assume the phones are in an American warehouse somewhere or better in the process of making to the stores.

Assume all bugs are worked out or any minor bugs that may still exist are easily fixed w/ an OTA patch.

Assume there is no stall tactic to sale more 'x' phones before the GNex release.

If these assumptions all hold true I truly truly cannot see a VZN not shooting for a BF release with lots of fanfare and advertising going on from Samsung and Google unless I am so blinded by the fact this phone is truly not a mainstream phone that will bring masses to the wonders of an android phone and it is only for us nerds that are on the fringe.

Thoughts, retorts, etc?

I agree with this hypothesis. And all of the assumptions you've made are relatively safe to assume at this point, so I don't see why we couldn't see an announcement some time this week (if not tomorrow).

After reading P3Droid's tweet, however, I'm beginning to think that we may not see anything tomorrow, but rather an announcement at some point during the week and the phone available for order the following Monday. It would miss BF, of course, but I'm starting to think that maybe we're being a bit TOO hopeful. I know nothing though, as do many others, so only time will tell unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone! Hope you had a good Sunday? It's a short week coming up. I have decided it is a good thing this phone is most likely not coming out this week. I would be in the doghouse for a long time for ignoring my family on thanksgiving. I am happy with the phone I have, so no worries about jumping on something else. And most of all, I can prove to Verizon that I am a bigger man than they think I am, no problem just smiling and nodding at all their BS. Or as we say in the south... "Bless your heart".

Upvote 0
They are silly because its all speculation. We no nothing about when they are going to announce or release this phone. All we can do is take a wild guess.

But perhaps he was saying they're silly as in it's silly to believe the phone will come anytime soon... he seems like he would know, but still I am very skeptical about this whole thing.

Upvote 0
I have enjoyed reading this thread and appreciate folks who bring info from their "sources", but I think it might be time to admit no one knows when this phone is coming out if nothing goes down tomorrow.
LOL, how true.

Again, some sources are certainly reputable, but info changes at the drop of a dime and what was valid yesterday, doesn't apply anymore.

The only thing we could see tomorrow is an announcement or pre-order. No chance it will be in any store.

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones