• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 35 years in the IT industry (25+ in programming) don't quite mesh with what you are saying so I'll take the question elsewhere but thanks for the response.

Tethering can (and has on some models) been locked via a kernel switch. Or they could modify the relevant framework to inhibit it.

It's open source, yes, but until an independent dev accesses the source and modifies or rebuilds it appropriately, the feature may be easily locked out.

AndroidForums.com has determined that activity breeches your contract and that providing information on this for Verizon customers is condoning fraud. Despite it being fair game here in the past, that's how it shapes up today.

Upvote 0
I mentioned this earlier today, but this does sound earily similar to the Razr release. When a Moto employee was questioned about why the bootloader was locked, he said "it was Verizon's decision". Is that odd that the carrier would have that kind of control???

You would think Google/Verizon/Samsung would have that decision made before announcing it on Verizon in the first place, but Verizon getting the device and then trying to hold Google/Samsung hostage does have a much better ring to it :) Have a backbone Google.

Upvote 0
I agree with this hypothesis. And all of the assumptions you've made are relatively safe to assume at this point, so I don't see why we couldn't see an announcement some time this week (if not tomorrow).

After reading P3Droid's tweet, however, I'm beginning to think that we may not see anything tomorrow, but rather an announcement at some point during the week and the phone available for order the following Monday. It would miss BF, of course, but I'm starting to think that maybe we're being a bit TOO hopeful. I know nothing though, as do many others, so only time will tell unfortunately.

But I am not even talking in terms of hope. If this phone is so cutting edge and tada why would you miss out on the biggest shopping day in the year? Are we/the phone truly that fringe that Verizon would/does not view it as a huge marketing opportunity that can't be missed. I am thinking purely from a business sense.

Upvote 0
OK, since I haven't heard this question asked in the last 3,000 posts or so (I know I could have easily missed it and the answer as fast as this thread moves)...

How long after the general release in corporate stores does Costco get their phones?
For the Bionic and RAZR, they had them on Launch day.

Doesn't mean much for the GNex though, as the only thing we can be completely certain of is chaos.

YankeeDudeL verified that they will be getting stock in, priced at 289. Don't know if that includes some sort of limited time bundle. That updates previous info that said the GNex would be home delivery only.

Upvote 0
But perhaps he was saying they're silly as in it's silly to believe the phone will come anytime soon... he seems like he would know, but still I am very skeptical about this whole thing.

P3 is a great developer (albeit a shady one for charging people money for his work, pretty sure he is breaking some sort of law for profiting on pre-released open source code.)

However, he knows nothing about these kinds of things. He isn't as "in the know" as he would like you to believe with company politics or strategy. On more than one occasion, he "reconfirms" leaks he finds on other websites and makes them appear as his own. Who knows what or who is sources are.

As somebody who is well-known in the Android field, he has a responsibility to verify his info before he runs with it. He runs with it as soon as he "gets" anything (and I say that loosely because my feeling is he makes stuff up as he goes along). He has said it will be out almost every Thursday since the end of October. He says there are bugs, but then gives it a glowing review, and then says the device is ready for primetime. He constantly contradicts himself.

There is no doubt in my mind that, at least with issues dealing with the release of the device, he knows absolutely nothing.

Upvote 0
If there is no announcement tomorrow then I have to start believing the Dec 8 date is really the end-all-be-all.

I can't imagine them announcing a phone for Black Friday any later than tomorrow, and I don't see them releasing it shortly after Black Friday...that just makes no sense.

They either want it out for Black Friday or they are planning on waiting until beginning of Dec for some reason...

Upvote 0
If I am allowed some latitude to make a few assumptions I would like to pose a hypothetical?

Assume the phones are in an American warehouse somewhere or better in the process of making to the stores.

Assume all bugs are worked out or any minor bugs that may still exist are easily fixed w/ an OTA patch.

Assume there is no stall tactic to sale more 'x' phones before the GNex release.

If these assumptions all hold true I truly truly cannot see a VZN not shooting for a BF release with lots of fanfare and advertising going on from Samsung and Google unless I am so blinded by the fact this phone is truly not a mainstream phone that will bring masses to the wonders of an android phone and it is only for us nerds that are on the fringe.

Thoughts, retorts, etc?
Black Friday release makes zero sense in my opinion.

BF is about the mad rush and good deals. Not about standing around a corporate store, looking at your watch while you wait for a sales rep to help you. BF also benefits retailers because they also get collateral sales along with luring in shoppers for the "killer" deals. But what's Verizon's angle. They aren't going to get extra sales. It's not like you are going into a store and say, hey, let me also pick up a few phones for the family.

I see no upside to a BF release. In fact, I see a slower sales day because of the other shopping.

Upvote 0
if I had to be any age again - I'd be 11. 6th grade was good. Teens - too much fake drama, 20s - lots of real life drama -- looking forward to hitting 30. Besides, I apparently look like I'm 17, I got carded for an R-rated movie last year! I celebrated/moped after with a beer (which I didn't get carded for :thinking: )

I guess if I could go back to an age it would probably be 17-18. It was just really fun in High School to just play sports, float through school and generally not have anything important on my plate!

As for the carding, it makes no sense! I went to by an "M" rated video game which you just have to be over 17 for and I wasn't able to buy it (I'm 23) because I had forgotten my license at home so they had no "proof" I wasn't 17. Then like 2 days later I walk into the liquor store and buy 2 things of vodka and I didn't get carded. Yep makes a ton of sense.

Upvote 0
Black Friday release makes zero sense in my opinion.

BF is about the mad rush and good deals. Not about standing around a corporate store, looking at your watch while you wait for a sales rep to help you. BF also benefits retailers because they also get collateral sales along with luring in shoppers for the "killer" deals. But what's Verizon's angle. They aren't going to get extra sales. It's not like you are going into a store and say, hey, let me also pick up a few phones for the family.

I see no upside to a BF release. In fact, I see a slower sales day because of the other shopping.

Just because BF makes zero sense, I'm going with BF. Precious little else in this saga has made much sense.

Upvote 0
P3 is a great developer (albeit a shady one for charging people money for his work, pretty sure he is breaking some sort of law for profiting on pre-released open source code.)

However, he knows nothing about these kinds of things. He isn't as "in the know" as he would like you to believe with company politics or strategy. On more than one occasion, he "reconfirms" leaks he finds on other websites and makes them appear as his own. Who knows what or who is sources are.

As somebody who is well-known in the Android field, he has a responsibility to verify his info before he runs with it. He runs with it as soon as he "gets" anything (and I say that loosely because my feeling is he makes stuff up as he goes along). He has said it will be out almost every Thursday since the end of October. He says there are bugs, but then gives it a glowing review, and then says the device is ready for primetime. He constantly contradicts himself.

There is no doubt in my mind that, at least with issues dealing with the release of the device, he knows absolutely nothing.

EXACTLY RIGHT!

P3 has done some great things from a developer standpoint. He was great supporting the DX.

As part of TBH, they've released some great stuff. I don't necessarily have an issue with them charging for thier app which collects all updates centrally. They've also got in trouble for some of it, like the Verizon tethering hack.

But he doesn't work for Verizon and has no information on a release date. All he hears is second hand info, while admittedly he gets more inside info than most of us, it isn't coming from upper management with decision making capability. He's getting it from grunts (no offense intended), who are passing it on to us grunts. He has some friends who allow him to use thier developer phones who work for both Motorola and Samsung.

So when he talks about technical details, I tend to listen, because I do respect him for his knowledge of the Android platform. But when he talks about getting X number of twitter followers so he can talk about things, or talks about things non-technical, I just put my hands over my ears and shake my head.

Upvote 0
I have enjoyed reading this thread and appreciate folks who bring info from their "sources", but I think it might be time to admit no one knows when this phone is coming out if nothing goes down tomorrow.

And we appreciate your post welcome here :)

One more wknd in the books, that much closer to getting a phone we're all interested in!

Finally caught up and appreciate all the good reads gang this is a good place with good peeps (em :)).

Hope we're all able to put aside any distractions for the week ahead and be thankful for all the things we need to be thankful for.

We can definitely speculate that this phone can't come soon enough. So who's staying up late night just to make sure :p I am

Reactions: jdduncan11
Upvote 0
I have enjoyed reading this thread and appreciate folks who bring info from their "sources", but I think it might be time to admit no one knows when this phone is coming out if nothing goes down tomorrow.
On the contrary, I know exactly when this handset is coming out.

Sometime before the end of the year. :D

And that's all Verizon has officially committed to.

Upvote 0
On the contrary, I know exactly when this handset is coming out.

Sometime before the end of the year. :D

And that's all Verizon has officially committed to.

Well then they end up losing a customer (actually 5) because we are all up for new phones on ATT and everyone is asking for new ones. I asked everyone to shop Verizon and ATT just in case. They wait too long I will have a hard time giving up unlimited data in hopes someday soon over and over again. (God I just made the holidays sound so material) :(

Upvote 0
Okay folks, back from the field. You Gonna Die v.4 had three jumps... two of them successful. He's back in the OR (my friend's workbench) for some minor repairs (two broken servos, and a broken toe). The third jump was obviously the final as his chute didn't open at all. I have three videos to post - the first two jumps from a ground-based camera and an on-board video of the 2nd jump that turned out pretty cool.

Off to watch the Giants/Eagles... Go Giants! See you Nexus'ers tomorrow!

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones