• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, another long-time lurker emerging from the shadows...

I'll add my own "spoke to verizon store rep and this is what s/he said" anecdote (nothing earth shattering and outside the bounds of current speculation).

I went in to participate in verizon's generous rental program. I've been using a samsung non-smart phone, and for the last two weeks the screen has been 80% black and a good 2/3ds of the buttons non-functional. I'm under a one year manufacturer's warranty, but I've avoided the hassle of going in and getting it replaced thinking, like many of you, that the Nexus was just around the corner. And indeed, the Nexus seems to have an uncanny ability to be just around the corner...

Not having been on any kind of data plan, the double data deal was appealing to me, and I decided rather than just replacing the broken dumb phone I'd rent a Rezound for the time being and get signed up for double data.

While there, UPS shipments were coming into the store (don't get hopes up -- i dont want to string you along). I saw at least 20-30 decent sized boxes being taken to the back. One of the managers was joking with a sales rep, saying "I think we know what those are..." and the rep responded excitedly "really???". Naturally, I couldnt help but interject? "the GALAXY NEXUS??." The manager chuckled and said "ya right." The rep told me they were probably iphone 4s (they had been waiting for a new shipment), and then added that the nexus probably wouldnt be here for "at least two weeks." I will say that this sales rep based on the rest of our conversation didn't exactly inspire confidence that she knows much about phones, android, verizon, life (?) etc, so of course take this with a grain of salt.

I know that there is some question as to what the holiday return policy is. (For those ethically opposed to the rental program, I'd recommend not reading further...). I didn't mention to this rep specifically what I planned to do, but she did explicitly say that I have 14 days from activation, and that the holiday return policy is only for unactivated phones. This definitely spooked me, but luckily I've got a transcript saved with a discussion with an online CSR, and if I have problems, I plan to leverage that as much as possible.

Here are some relevant bits from the discussion with the online CSR (from a few days ago):

CSR: If you return the phone in the 14 days you can get the upgrade back .
me: ah,great. this is helpful. i thought i saw somewhere a deal verizon was running where you have until jan 14 or some date around then to return phones. i don't remember the details exactly. do you happen to know which deal I'm talking about?
CSR: Okay, you are referring to the holiday return policy .
me: so how does that work? because if we buy a phone now? do we have until january 14th to return? not 14 days from now?
CSR: Yes this is correct , if you order a phone today you will be able to return it by Jan. 15 2012.
me: does it matter whether i activate it or not?
CSR: Yes this is correct, if you activate the device you can still return it .
me: ... ok this is my last question, just so i can make sure i haven't missed anything
me: 1) i buy, for example, a razr today, signing up for the double data deal and also using an upgrade i have available. 2) i use this phone and assuming the nexus launches sometime between now and jan 15, i return the razr, pay a 35 dollar restock fee. 3) i use that same upgrade to buy the nexus, and i remain on the double data plan
CSR: Yes you can get the upgrade back if you return the phone by Jan 15 , I currently do not no if the promotion will still be on for double the data .
me: oo wait, but if i buy the razr now, dont i already get on the plan? so i would just be switching the razr for the nexus, not my plan.
CSR: Yes this is correct , you will still get this data package .

So I guess the takeaway is, different reps are saying different things. So try a few times and try to get it in writing? The online CSR interface on vzw's webpage has a nice feature where if you want they will email you a transcript of the discussion.

I apologize for low helpfulness to words ratio, but I thought given how much of a free-rider I've been, I'd try to contribute something, however small.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Come on! People go.off.on a sports, food, car or whatever tangent to release the stress over this TOTALLY SCREWED UP LAUNCH DATE or lack of one and its cool. I know I don't mind.

Someone tells a joke or makes a humorous statement to do the same which they clearly state it is such and.BAM!!!! People start with attitude!

EVERYONE is sick of the fiasco of a launch so please JUST RELAX¡!!!!!!!¡

Reactions: Reborn58
Upvote 0
nope. but didn't you say your local verizon store had a box that couldn't be opened until today? any chance of following up with that?

That's what the rep told me was they are "sealed and I can't open them" this is a high volume store and I believe they have the phone but just can't release them until Verizon gives the go ahead.

I called 3 or 4 times trying to speak to the rep that sold me the Razr and couldn't get her because she was always with another customer. I left a message and never received a return phone call. I might try again today.

She didn't say that they couldn't be opened until today, I was pretty convinced from the info on these forums that the 21st would be the day not her she had no clue, she was just positive they would have the phones when they are released.

Reactions: Needz_Android
Upvote 0
Hi all, another long-time lurker emerging from the shadows...

I'll add my own "spoke to verizon store rep and this is what s/he said" anecdote (nothing earth shattering and outside the bounds of current speculation).

I went in to participate in verizon's generous rental program. I've been using a samsung non-smart phone, and for the last two weeks the screen has been 80% black and a good 2/3ds of the buttons non-functional. I'm under a one year manufacturer's warranty, but I've avoided the hassle of going in and getting it replaced thinking, like many of you, that the Nexus was just around the corner. And indeed, the Nexus seems to have an uncanny ability to be just around the corner...

Not having been on any kind of data plan, the double data deal was appealing to me, and I decided rather than just replacing the broken dumb phone I'd rent a Rezound for the time being and get signed up for double data.

While there, UPS shipments were coming into the store (don't get hopes up -- i dont want to string you along). I saw at least 20-30 decent sized boxes being taken to the back. One of the managers was joking with a sales rep, saying "I think we know what those are..." and the rep responded excitedly "really???". Naturally, I couldnt help but interject? "the GALAXY NEXUS??." The manager chuckled and said "ya right." The rep told me they were probably iphone 4s (they had been waiting for a new shipment), and then added that the nexus probably wouldnt be here for "at least two weeks." I will say that this sales rep based on the rest of our conversation didn't exactly inspire confidence that she knows much about phones, android, verizon, life (?) etc, so of course take this with a grain of salt.

I know that there is some question as to what the holiday return policy is. (For those ethically opposed to the rental program, I'd recommend not reading further...). I didn't mention to this rep specifically what I planned to do, but she did explicitly say that I have 14 days from activation, and that the holiday return policy is only for unactivated phones. This definitely spooked me, but luckily I've got a transcript saved with a discussion with an online CSR, and if I have problems, I plan to leverage that as much as possible.

Here are some relevant bits from the discussion with the online CSR (from a few days ago):

So I guess the takeaway is, different reps are saying different things. So try a few times and try to get it in writing? The online CSR interface on vzw's webpage has a nice feature where if you want they will email you a transcript of the discussion.

I apologize for low helpfulness to words ratio, but I thought given how much of a free-rider I've been, I'd try to contribute something, however small.

Cheers

Excellent first post, and welcome! We appreciate the info!

Upvote 0
Anyone know if there are any official oddsmakers offering odds on the release of this phone? I'm fairly certain a technically savvy bookie could make a tidy profit on this clusterf**k...

With all the recent bad publicity (volume bug, bezel size, no USB mass storage, bloatware conspiracies, etc) I'm beginning to think the Rezound might not be a bad idea after all. I'm watching the Rezound's "All Things Root" board to see what news comes out there almost as often as checking the latest on the Nexus debacle.

Upvote 0
Don't expect Verizon to honor something just because you have it in writing. If the policy is that you can return it 14 days after activation but someone told you otherwise and you try to return it late they will probably refuse it. I have had Verizon tell me something and document it on my account and other reps refuse to honor it even though they tell me that they see it on my account.

Reactions: Member112085
Upvote 0
That is a better idea. I wish there was a place to archive the actual video itself, that way we never lose it in case Youtube pulls it down.

No worries, even if Youtube pulls it down (which they have no reason to), I still have it saved on my hard-drive. ;)

Thanks Early for the new thread :)

Upvote 0
Don't expect Verizon to honor something just because you have it in writing. If the policy is that you can return it 14 days after activation but someone told you otherwise and you try to return it late they will probably refuse it. I have had Verizon tell me something and document it on my account and other reps refuse to honor it even though they tell me that they see it on my account.

Huh? The extended holiday return policy is clearly written on the receipts.

Reactions: xavious85
Upvote 0
Guys, I've been big-time hating on Verizon, but I think that's just because they're an easy target. I do agree that some more transparency would be good form. But, I really believe they wanted this phone out before black friday. Why on earth would they deliberately release their biggest phone after the biggest shopping day? Now I know people will say that they just want to sell the RAZR, but I call crap on that because they're paying for an exclusivity deal for the Nexus. They know it will sell and they want it out. We've heard some pretty disparaging remarks from Google insiders (e.g., Panda) that are painting a bad picture of Verizon, but remember, Google's tendency is to launch now and fix later. I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon did find some hiccups and really want to get this phone out, but want to have minimal issues. We think it's bad press for them to not release the phone, but imagine the bad press if they did release the phone and then all of their customers complained of a volume bug or something like that. I'm not saying I agree completely with how Verizon has handled things, but I also think that the reports of corporate games is being blown out of proportion. I doubt we'll see this phone as soon as we'd like, and I doubt we'll hear anything from Verizon until they are sure that it's ready (which, realistically, is good business practice). Once it's ready, I think they will act very fast on it. After all, accessories are already in stores, many employees have reported on being trained already. We just need the phones. It will come.

And with that long catharsis, I'm ready to shower and begin the productive portion of my day.

I also believe they want this thing out ASAP....the holiday shopping season starts on BF and everyday after sales are lost to other carriers that this phone is not on the market. I picture a bunch of nerds working 24/7 trying to fix every lil bug that comes up to have it as near perfect as possible and out as soon as the shopping season starts.

Some will say 'oh so what if 1 or 2 thousand customers/potential customers are lost to another carrier they don't care' Posts here has shown they do care about each customer and their contract by jumping through some serious hoops to make them happy. IE Hans.

I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theory nor that they will refuse to launch on BF if the phone is ready. I personally believe it will be ready very very soon and they are working around the clock to get it ready.

I also think I said I was jumping off this crazy train last night but yet here I am.....and to think I gave up crack for this.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones