• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, today my wife and I each ordered a Rezound from Amazon for one cent each as new Verizon customers. It was too good a deal to pass up, especially when you're needing to purchase two phones. I will miss not having the Galaxy Nexus but I don't think I'm settling much by getting the Rezound. I'll keep following the thread (just not as religiously) in large measure because it's a great community of interesting people who for the most part get along and are very entertaining.

I hope all the Nexites will have their phones soon with no problems, 32GB of storage, and a wonderfully awesome experience.

Awesome, enjoy! If I could have gotten the rezound for 1 cent with a renewal and not new contract I would have done the same, $300 savings on each phone is one heck of a deal. But I cannot and at this point am going to wait and wait (and wait) for my galaxy nexus. :)

Upvote 0
Jeez, Verizon just can't win, can they?

They don't specify a release date, because they don't know it yet. Reaction: JUST TELL US THE DATE! I HATE VERIZON!

They want to test the phone to ensure, to the best of their ability, that the LTE version works correctly on their network. Reaction: STOP DELAYING! I HATE VERIZON!

When people demand more information, they respond to inquiries by saying "We haven't determined the date yet, and we want to make sure the phone works right before we release it." Reaction: THEY'RE LYING! I HATE VERIZON!

Suppose they had announced it and then had to miss it -- which is exactly what would have happened if they'd announced 11/17 or 11/21 -- the reaction would have been STOP LYING TO US! I HATE VERIZON!

If they just went ahead and released the phone now, which is what so many people seem to want for some reason, the reaction would be THIS PHONE IS A BUGGY PIECE OF CRAP! I HATE VERIZON!

Apparently, there is literally nothing they can do that won't anger people. Is it any surprise that they continue to ignore the complaints? I would.

Here's an experiment. Seriously, everybody try this:

For just a moment, try assuming that Verizon is not evil or incompetent. Assume that they actually want to release the phone and sell it, and that they are working as hard as they can to get the phone to us, taking into account all of the complicated factors they have to worry about. Assume that they will release it as soon as they possibly can -- after all, at the moment it is only costing them money -- and they will tell us as soon as they know when that will be.

Try thinking positive thoughts: "Wow, too bad there are bugs, but I'm glad Verizon found them. I'm going to hope that their people find a solution quickly."

Yes, we're all frustrated and disappointed that the Galaxy Nexus isn't out already. But maybe, just maybe, it's nobody's fault.

Ok time for the flip side. Lets just say Verizon had intentions of selling this device on 11/17 or 11/21 and they came out today or PRIOR to today with a press statement something like this:

Dear Loyal Verizon Wireless Customers,
As you have probably heard by now we are set to release the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It is the cutting edge of technology and is as promised by Samsung, "Beyond Smart". We desperately wanted to get this device in as many hands as possible as quickly as possible so we set deadlines for ourselves. We had hoped to get it to you by November 21, 2011 at the very latest. However, our final round of testing found issues that would make the phone less than it should be for you our valued customer. In order to maintain our high standards of customer satisfaction we have a team of developers working day and night to ready this device for sale. Please bear with us through this process. We have committed to get it to you as soon as we can. We think you will be very pleased with the Nexus experience and are committed to get it to you before the end of the year.

Regards,
Verizon Wireless Big Wig

If they had done something like that to be proactive, I think we as a whole could have dealt with it. As it is, they leave themselves open for disdain.

Upvote 0
December 8th, yikes! That seems a long way away from the "pre-BF" push Verizon supposedly had. Wonder if this means we'll get a preorder on the 1st? We already have accessories in stores and training to many employees, what are we going to do on this forum for almost 3 weeks? That Incredible thread post count is history, but seriously, we went from imminent launch to almost 3 weeks away. It's kind of like thinking a first date has ended only to find out you have to drive the person home. Awkward....Time for me to go back to work, I can't camp out for another 3 weeks.

Reactions: harpua
Upvote 0
I asked my sister:

(non-quoted for ease)

How do you know it's definite?

She texted back:

Three different people have told me.

So, my question is, are these people at Verizon reading the blogs and talking about it, or is it based on inside info?

So I texted:

Blog readers or inside grapevine?

She texted back:

Huh?

I texted back:

Idiot, are they getting info from internet or VZ bosses?

She texted back:

I don't know, but one of them should know from VZ corp. Idiot!

Easy there Hans. Don't make her angry......

Upvote 0
Most of this is solved if they would just be forthcoming and tweet "this is why we haven't confirmed a release date...".

Well, to be fair, if it's about a bug with the phone itself (not saying it is, but if it is), then I would guess that even Samsung and Google would want to avoid the bad press and keep it quiet.

I say, whatever is happening is what's best for us in the long run. Sure, the next few weeks are going to be agonizing, but it's going to be worth it, because no matter what the delay was originally for, they now have time to fix the bugs reported in the UK.

Upvote 0
Over a month ago I posted a theory explaining why I thought 12/1 would be the release date, and people gasped that I would dare to give voice to such blasphemy.
12/8 huh? I was hoping that 12/1 would turn out to be a bad guess, but now it seems like my guess was wrong in the wrong direction!

Edit: Oh, fwiw, a friend of mine who works at a VZW corporate store just sent me the following message:

Just checked our in transit reports and no nexus. That's for today and tomorrow.

Obviously that jives with what everyone else is hearing...

Upvote 0
Can't we all just get along?!?!?! Personally, I find numerous things posted by numerous people on this thread "annoying" in one way or another. However, this is a public forum, and nowhere in the rules does it say "don't post stuff that may annoy other members". Remember, for every thing that annoys you, you yourself have probably posted something that annoys someone. And for every post that annoys you, there could be 100 people who enjoy reading it. You can't please all the people all the time. I'm not trying to flame or call anyone out, but come on...lighten up, and just scroll right past posts that you find annoying. :)

Can we get a "Thumbs Down annoying" button?

Upvote 0
Again, I think the reason most people are mad is because Verizon is jerking us around. By that I mean, they KNOW what's holding the phone back and instead of telling folks what the issue is, they are choosing to ignore customers.

You might ask, well they're trying to protect the GNex from a harmful reputation that might hurt sales. Two things to that:

1. Keep it vague. Even releasing a tweet stating that more information will be released about the Nexus once all issues are cleared would be good enough. In fact, higher ups keep emailing people that contact them making similar statements.

2. Anyone remember that antenna issue with the iPhone 4? Looking back, I realize that while Jobs was rather arrogant about the issue, at least he addressed the freaking issue...And that address came from one of the most controlling CEOs (in terms of information) ever...

1. But even that wouldn't be good enough for a lot of people. It's a lose lose situation for VZ

2. VZ might still not know all the issues (if there are)

I digress, I speculate, just like a lot of us here, but I think what his point was since no one really is in the know except for a few select people we should cut some slack. That is how I see it anyways.

Upvote 0
December 8th, yikes! That seems a long way away from the "pre-BF" push Verizon supposedly had. Wonder if this means we'll get a preorder on the 1st? We already have accessories in stores and training to many employees, what are we going to do on this forum for almost 3 weeks? That Incredible thread post count is history, but seriously, we went from imminent launch to almost 3 weeks away. It's kind of like thinking a first date has ended only to find out you have to drive the person home. Awkward....Time for me to go back to work, I can't camp out for another 3 weeks.

3 weeks away IS imminent :p

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
Thanks for these images -- look legit enough for me.

Just changed the countdown widget on my phone to 12/8 (unwillingly, but I did it).

Can we have Steven, Rob or Phases put a 12/8 countdown back in the OP, maybe?

Or maybe just leave it off since nobody really has a clue when it will launch.....

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Jeez, Verizon just can't win, can they?

They don't specify a release date, because they don't know it yet. Reaction: JUST TELL US THE DATE! I HATE VERIZON!
They want to test the phone to ensure, to the best of their ability, that the LTE version works correctly on their network. Reaction: STOP DELAYING! I HATE VERIZON!

When people demand more information, they respond to inquiries by saying "We haven't determined the date yet, and we want to make sure the phone works right before we release it." Reaction: THEY'RE LYING! I HATE VERIZON!

Suppose they had announced it and then had to miss it -- which is exactly what would have happened if they'd announced 11/17 or 11/21 -- the reaction would have been STOP LYING TO US! I HATE VERIZON!

If they just went ahead and released the phone now, which is what so many people seem to want for some reason, the reaction would be THIS PHONE IS A BUGGY PIECE OF CRAP! I HATE VERIZON!

Apparently, there is literally nothing they can do that won't anger people. Is it any surprise that they continue to ignore the complaints? I would.

Here's an experiment. Seriously, everybody try this:

For just a moment, try assuming that Verizon is not evil or incompetent. Assume that they actually want to release the phone and sell it, and that they are working as hard as they can to get the phone to us, taking into account all of the complicated factors they have to worry about. Assume that they will release it as soon as they possibly can -- after all, at the moment it is only costing them money -- and they will tell us as soon as they know when that will be.

Try thinking positive thoughts: "Wow, too bad there are bugs, but I'm glad Verizon found them. I'm going to hope that their people find a solution quickly."
Yes, we're all frustrated and disappointed that the Galaxy Nexus isn't out already. But maybe, just maybe, it's nobody's fault.
Maybe if they were more transparent then we would not have this problem.
For example:
Not Real Information said:
Oct 17: We have a tentative launch date of November 17, with final testing starting next week.

Oct 26: We have found a bug with the battery draining within 2 hours when using the GPS and NFC at the same time. We are working to find and fix the problem, we will post an update on Friday.

Oct 28: We currently are working to a solution to fix the battery problem but will have to push the release date to November 31.
And so on

On a side note, if you want to know how a smartphone goes from concept to launch on AT&T, Engadget has a great articles on it.

How an AT&T smartphone comes to life: behind the scenes (part one) -- Engadget
How an AT&T smartphone comes to life: behind the scenes (part two) -- Engadget

Reactions: drbugsmn
Upvote 0
12/8 is disappointing, seeing as the rest of the world should be getting the device this week.

I am not even upset that the release is so late, rather, throughout this entire process we have heard NOTHING official from any company involved.

I don't even care if Verizon gives us a date. I would be totally satisfied if they made an official statement that said "We are currently testing the device."

Anyway, I am going into lurk mode, and will only comment if something interesting comes up. Until then, I want to wish everyone a
Happy Thanksgiving!

funny+turkey-600x450.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones