• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
i understand the rationale, and i also am one who doesn't believe that hating on VZW (even if deserved) is worthwhile. BUT, here is where i think your reasoning breaks down: EVERYONE who has reviewed this device has not given any indication of technical difficulties. by all accounts, and from all the info we have, this device is ready to go. rather, the info that is coming out (albeit from anonymous sources, but it's still info) is that the "technical issues" are being caused by VZW, itself!! in other words, the phone isn't coming out yet because VZW is trying to take a Nexus, and make it not-quite-a-Nexus by adding VZW apps - which, in turn, is causing "technical issues."

by way of example, lets assume you have leased a car, and your lease is about to expire. the new model of your car has been released by the manufacturer in Europe and other countries, with no issues. but, here in the US, the exclusive dealer for your auto wants to put on some after-market add-ons, to promote the dealership. these add-ons don't make the vehicle more efficient, run better, or worth more - in fact, most of the people waiting for the auto don't want the add-ons. however, these dealer add-ons are causing problems with the car, and the dealer is telling you that you will have to wait for a few more weeks while it sorts out these "technical issues."

now, are you saying there's no reason whatsoever to be upset with that set of circumstances?!

I really cannot disagree with what you are saying! :)

Thank you! :)

Upvote 0
I've been too busy at work and just caught up. I get news in at the weirdest times and have to edit out personal stuff from The Source, who is now my friend. My friend trusts me to edit out personal stuff.

If I'm at work or if I'm driving I can't edit, but I feel you should know, especially since folks are always asking me for info both here and in inbox. So I tell you when info hits my inbox. I am self-employed and very, very busy. So I post what and when I can.

I apologize for any hardship or inconvenience this causes.

No apology required. Keep doing exactly what you've been doing Stephen.

Upvote 0
I've been too busy at work and just caught up. I get news in at the weirdest times and have to edit out personal stuff from The Source, who is now my friend. My friend trusts me to edit out personal stuff.

If I'm at work or if I'm driving I can't edit, but I feel you should know, especially since folks are always asking me for info both here and in inbox. So I tell you when info hits my inbox. I am self-employed and very, very busy. So I post what and when I can.

Thank you for everything Steven! I think I speak for a lot of us here in saying you're awesome and keep doing what you're doing!

Reactions: smp2k and MoPhoMan
Upvote 0
The idea that VZW could fix everything by just being "more transparent" sounds nice, but it just isn't realistic. For two reasons.

First, it wouldn't actually help anything. I guarantee that if they put out a press release explaining the reasons for the delay, there would immediately be responses from people saying "I call BS. They're just delaying it because they want to sell more RAZRs" or whatever. We've already seen that reaction to the e-mail responses some people have gotten. So why bother?

Second, no corporation works that way. You don't voluntarily announce that one of your products is faulty and then explain exactly what's wrong with it. Especially since the vast majority of Verizon's customers are NOT all that concerned about the Nexus (most customers won't know about it until it's available). Why tell people in advance: "We've got this great new phone coming, but it's got problems!" Far better to just wait until you have a product that works, and then announce it to the world.

It's also unrealistic to say "I don't care if there are bugs! Just release it and fix the bugs later!" In saying that, you're forgetting that customer service is a HUGE expense for a company like Verizon. Each and every customer-service call they receive costs them a certain number of dollars. Developing and pushing out an OTA costs money. Fixing the problems that inevitably arise when an OTA fails on somebody's device costs money. It would be foolish and irresonsible for Verizon to knowingly release a device that has bugs.

Verizon's official position has always been:

- We're going to release the Galaxy Nexus before the end of the year.

- We'll let you know when it's ready.

I don't see where in there they have lied, jerked anybody around, played games, or behaved in any way unethically. It appears to me that they are acting like a responsible publicly-traded corporation should act.

Upvote 0

No apologizing. You do us all a great service with your VOLUNTARY information.
Yes, I bolded it because Steven is in no way, shape or form obligated to give us anything other than fair modding. Don't like it - don't read it.
There, I feel better and have now said what I wanted. :D

I'm in middle TN... I'll have to beam with myself :p

::chuckling behind hand::
That sounds so dirty.

Upvote 0

You have nothing to appologize for! :)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Early can we please PLEASE get a slap-smack-spit button installed?

What do you want, money? I can give you money! A car? I know a chop shop owner in Chicago that can get you a Lexus.

Name your price!

If we did it, I would have to say it would cost something to do it. Either a monetary fee, or like 10 thanks subtracted from your total for each one... Otherwise guaranteed this place would turn into a Three Stooges episode.

edit: On second thought, it probably still would.

Upvote 0
The reason why Verizon has not announced anything regarding this phone and the rest of the world is releasing it is pretty obvious

1) They are bloating the phone - Although Apple and the iPhone get perfect treatment, updates from apple, no pre-installed verizon apps whatsoever, they couldn't care less about Google. They see the money in the iPhone and giving Apple what they want, and the decision is made.

2) They are desperately trying to sell the Droid RAZR. Verizon and Motorola have always had a good relationship, and this particular phone furthers both the Droid and the RAZR brand names.

What they want is for people to cave, to give in and say "I'm getting a RAZR". It is a more profitable device for them and their brand. Honestly, I would not be the least bit surprised to see the released date pushed way past December 8th. From their perspective, we are all a flock of potential RAZR owners. The longer they hold onto the Nexus, the more people will jump off the Nexus bandwagon.

Upvote 0
she just needs to put it up against yours and it should work

Yes, I think that's part of the curriculum in most health classes now.

"How to beam responsibly."

Make sure you both have screen protectors.

I know, I know, all the kids say only one needs it, but trust me, you don't want that nasty scratch always there, reminding you of that stupid Beam session you wish you could take back.

Upvote 0
On a side note, those of you who are trying to defend VZW in saying they have done nothing wrong... *Sigh*. Correct, they have not yet broken any promises. But that does not mean they shouldn't be held to a higher standard. When they are the exclusive carrier of a phone announced months ago, and the rest of the world is receiving it, it is just abusive to do what Verizon is doing. Not a lie, not illegal, but definitely abusive and shameless.

Upvote 0
My mind has been known to be in the gutter, but you always come through shining and I can continue to count on ya thanks! :p

if-it-werent-for-the-gutter-my-mind-would-be-homeless.jpg

Upvote 0
Yes, I think that's part of the curriculum in most health classes now.

"How to beam responsibly."

Make sure you both have screen protectors.

I know, I know, all the kids say only one needs it, but trust me, you don't want that nasty scratch always there, reminding you of that stupid Beam session you wish you could take back.

Wow that was hysterical....sorry

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones