• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone! Wow I can't believe the hostility from yesterday! I tried to catch up but when it got bad I just fast forwarded to the last page...

Anyone know if the letter went out yet?

BB, how do you make your avatars? are they all just photochopped or are you making those from scratch? You can pm me if you feel uncomfortable about talking about it here.

I hope something solid comes out this week at least. If its just another week or two I can wait but I'm going to need a solid piece of info by black friday or I'm gonna be trying out a Razr and Vigor(still can't say the R word...ugh..)

The letter went out and Rob, the owner, spent a while on the phone with his Verizon contacts. Essentially he was told the same thing as us, that Verizon would release the device as soon as it was ready, but could not commit to a date.

Someone wanna link to Rob's post? I can't remember what page it was on.

Nvm, found it :D

Upvote 0
Good morning everyone! Wow I can't believe the hostility from yesterday! I tried to catch up but when it got bad I just fast forwarded to the last page...

BB, how do you make your avatars? are they all just photochopped or are you making those from scratch? You can pm me if you feel uncomfortable about talking about it here.

I hope something solid comes out this week at least. If its just another week or two I can wait but I'm going to need a solid piece of info by black friday or I'm gonna be trying out a Razr and Vigor(still can't say the R word...ugh..)

Yep, the letter went out, and recieved a reply, with nothing but the standard company line of still undergoing testing. Disappointing, but Verizon has their story, and they are st.t.t.t.t.i.i.icking to it.

I am afraid you will be trying out the two R phones, as we won't be getting anything solid until after BF. (If by solid you mean VZW announcement, as it is the only way anything becomes solid with this phone).

Ninja'd by the YouTube master.

Upvote 0
No. He hasn't. Even he said OT is ok. He asked us to stop jockeying for the 1,000 post marks.

So no jockeying for 1,000 post marks, but 100's of pages of worthless commentary on the number of posts, page numbers and size of this thread compared to other threads that adds ZERO value to this thread is ok. That makes sense. :thinking: Got it.

Thanks for the clarification. :D

:cool:

Upvote 0
So no jockeying for 1,000 post marks, but 100's of pages of worthless commentary on the number of posts, page numbers and size of this thread compared to other threads that adds ZERO value to this thread is ok. That makes sense. :thinking: Got it.

Look, I admit, this thread isn't a work of art. But we're all here, and we're enjoying ourselves. If you don't want to join the party, that's fine, I'll just again direct you to the OP.

I just want to point out that you sparked a dozen posts that also contribute to the "useless post" count.

Upvote 0

If you don't like it PM one of the mods, they can clarify it for you.

Upvote 0
I have an odd question....maybe you could all help....
Woz got a Nexus.
Samsung reps, and others have gotten a Nexus.
Contests like on twitter by Google, winners got a Nexus.
But does anyone know what Carrier versions they are all receiving?
A couple of the comments on this thread indicated Samsung Rep at a Verizon store....Have we had any comments from anyone to indicate what carrier those phones are running on?
Because I gotta say...if any of those phones are already running on Verizon....That would just be FRUSTRATING!!

Upvote 0
So now we're fairly certain about 12/8? I'll take it! Like numerous others said, I'll count on that and if it comes earlier be pleasantly surprised. Although I'm sure I'll also be harboring some hope on earlier, just so I can finally replace this OG Droid!

My Droid started acting up around this time last year. First it was the headphone jack, getting kinda flaky. Most likely because I use it as my music player at work, 8 hours a day. I also kept the phone on the media dock charging the entire time (so I'd still have a charge when I left work), which has seriously killed the battery. At this point I can't make it 8 hours with even light usage.

First I waited for the Bionic, then passed when I heard about all the issues. Then I was hoping for the S2, only to have VZW pass on it. Now I'm stuck on the Nexus, which at first seemed like PERFECT timing (back when we thought 11/17, same day they turned on 4G in my area).

I'm just hoping that VZW is being up front about the delay being due to issues. I'd hate to see a repeat of the Bionic, although with the reviews that are out I'm sure that won't happen.

So was there any point to this post? Yeah - to kill a few minutes at work with my ramblings.

Here's to a speedy 16 days!

Reactions: RkyMtnTiger
Upvote 0
Whats with all the talk about renting phones and the return policy?:thinking:

Is it supposed to be cool these days to rip Verizon off by depreciating one of their devices just because you want a new phone right now while you wait for the GN?:thinking:

I seem to understand this forum does not condone discussion of tethering via hacking ware. Is this not some kind of Mal method or procedure?

To me getting a device just so one can play with it will cause more harm than good. After they have had enough Verizon will just massage their return policy to the point that folks with legit reason's for returning a device will suffer. And I will not blame Verizon for doing it.

My guess is they will shorten it by 5 day first.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Upvote 0
The letter went out and Rob, the owner, spent a while on the phone with his Verizon contacts. Essentially he was told the same thing as us, that Verizon would release the device as soon as it was ready, but could not commit to a date.

Someone wanna link to Rob's post? I can't remember what page it was on.

Nvm, found it :D

Did anyone really expect anything different from VZW? Much thanks to Rob for trying.

Upvote 0

I agree the 20-30 posts trying to get a XX000 was distracting and unnecessary. But even the Mods were respecting the milestones, by not deleting posts to uphold the result. Rob came in and made some valid comments, as a result of this weekend's melee and this thread becoming lets say unfriendly. But I do feel the levity brought about by the occasional off-topic jaunts helps keep us cool. This thread has been way too chippy the past few days, and while it is understood everyone is frustrated, as we all REALLY want this phone, we need to be a little more respectful of each other. Gotta avoid the critical, sarcastic posts of each other as much as possible, as you don't really know who can take that kind of stuff gracefully and in good humor, and who is going to get upset (I found out the hard way). If you have a problem with a post, Either use iReport, or PM the member and resolve it that way.

Upvote 0

Is it supposed to be cool these days to rip Verizon off by depreciating one of their devices just because you want a new phone right now while you wait for the GN?:thinking:

I seem to understand this forum does not condone discussion of tethering via hacking ware. Is this not some kind of Mal method or procedure?

To me getting a device just so one can play with it will cause more harm than good. After they have had enough Verizon will just massage their return policy to the point that folks with legit reason's for returning a device will suffer. And I will not blame Verizon for doing it.

+1

Upvote 0
Silly, I've already been president :p

I'm just glad the video's gotten to the point where it's popular enough that it's been reposted 3 times in this thread :D

I posted a while back about it, and so did someone else I think, but did you see that Kellex posted a story about it on Droid Life? I am sure that helped the number of views. You should put a counter on your profile of how many views it gets! I wish I could watch it here at work, but youtube is blocked by our proxy and the 3G/4G signal isn't so good here in the basement where I work.

Upvote 0
Okay so lots of craziness yesterday that I missed... And I will today too, working from 9 till noon at one job then 1 till 1 at another shoot. Long long day. But hopefully we get something concrete! And hopefully someone remembers to PM me when that happens! BB, Im looking at you sister!

Of course I will!

Since the letter question was answered I will skip that.
My avatars are done in photoshop. Although I take no credit in the figures because those I don't do, nor do I have the knowledge to create them. I do put additional clothing on some of them so that they are pg-13 though. And I put the text in. Google is my friend in finding those pics.

Reactions: bldgengineer
Upvote 0
So ive left my name and number with local corp verizon store. My phone rings at 6 am with a number that looks vaguely familiar. I jump out of bed, expecting to hear whispers from the customer service rep: "weve got them. Be here at 10...."

But alas...it was only the electrician calling to say he will be at my store in about 15 minutes...can I meet him. Super disappointment...

Reactions: sneakking
Upvote 0
So now we're fairly certain about 12/8? I'll take it! Like numerous others said, I'll count on that and if it comes earlier be pleasantly surprised. Although I'm sure I'll also be harboring some hope on earlier, just so I can finally replace this OG Droid!

My Droid started acting up around this time last year. First it was the headphone jack, getting kinda flaky. Most likely because I use it as my music player at work, 8 hours a day. I also kept the phone on the media dock charging the entire time (so I'd still have a charge when I left work), which has seriously killed the battery. At this point I can't make it 8 hours with even light usage.

First I waited for the Bionic, then passed when I heard about all the issues. Then I was hoping for the S2, only to have VZW pass on it. Now I'm stuck on the Nexus, which at first seemed like PERFECT timing (back when we thought 11/17, same day they turned on 4G in my area).

I'm just hoping that VZW is being up front about the delay being due to issues. I'd hate to see a repeat of the Bionic, although with the reviews that are out I'm sure that won't happen.

So was there any point to this post? Yeah - to kill a few minutes at work with my ramblings.

Here's to a speedy 16 days!

Well considering we have had equivalent evidence of both a 17th and 21st release, and neither of those happened, I wouldn't bet my life on the 8th. But it is the rumor with the most evidence supporting it at this point.

Reactions: harpua
Upvote 0
I have an odd question....maybe you could all help....
Woz got a Nexus.
Samsung reps, and others have gotten a Nexus.
Contests like on twitter by Google, winners got a Nexus.
But does anyone know what Carrier versions they are all receiving?
A couple of the comments on this thread indicated Samsung Rep at a Verizon store....Have we had any comments from anyone to indicate what carrier those phones are running on?
Because I gotta say...if any of those phones are already running on Verizon....That would just be FRUSTRATING!!

They're all on Verizon. We know the phone exists and at least some have been produced, we just don't know when Verizon will be generous enough to sell it to us :rolleyes:
Anyway, the twitter contest winners don't get their phones for like 10 weeks or something, and by that time, I would hope the Nexus is out.

I posted a while back about it, and so did someone else I think, but did you see that Kellex posted a story about it on Droid Life? I am sure that helped the number of views. You should put a counter on your profile of how many views it gets! I wish I could watch it here at work, but youtube is blocked by our proxy and the 3G/4G signal isn't so good here in the basement where I work.

Yeah, I saw the droid-life article, I think that's what spread it around mostly.
Plus P3 sent it to BMX and then BMX spread it around the android dev community :)

Reactions: nexusprimepls
Upvote 0
Ok, had parent teacher conferences until 9 last night. I think I'm caught up. Can anyone that knows please confirm for me what happened last night. From what I can tell:

1. The site was shut down again by Rob after he gave us what he found out from Verizon.

2. People started flaming each other (although I don't know why because the posts were deleted).

3. Best Buy came out with a Nexus Prime Ad and the conspiracy theorists believe that the true hold up is not bugs but changing the advertising or boxing or something.

4. December 8th is looking more and more legitimate.

5. When you do a search on Verizon Wireless for Galaxy Nexus you only get a charger but if you search Prime and anything it takes you to the Galaxy Nexus sign up page.

Am I missing anything else that is important?

Reactions: drbugsmn
Upvote 0
Friends,

We have administrative blessing for off topic posts. The only thing that is being discouraged is encouraging people to pad the posting in order to get to a specific milestone.

"Look we have 50k is allowed" while "lets see if we can pad the count to get to 50k" is obviously not.

The administrator put a note in the OP about just this point. Read it. It's not too boring. I promise. :p

Additionally, bickering about this adds to the post count and stirs up a negative vibe, so let's cut the discussion off. It's unnecessary, unwarranted and unproductive.

OT= good. Bickering= bad.

Thanks!

Steven

Upvote 0
So ive left my name and number with local corp verizon store. My phone rings at 6 am with a number that looks vaguely familiar. I jump out of bed, expecting to hear whispers from the customer service rep: "weve got them. Be here at 10...."

But alas...it was only the electrician calling to say he will be at my store in about 15 minutes...can I meet him. Super disappointment...

Wow. That's a harsh wake up.

Upvote 0
Well considering we have had equivalent evidence of both a 17th and 21st release, and neither of those happened, I wouldn't bet my life on the 8th. But it is the rumor with the most evidence supporting it at this point.

But we've still got the confirmed 12/31 date (since VZW did say "this year"), and I can live with that too. I just figure 12/08 is more reasonable. Can't imagine they'd want to release at the very end of the year, so close to CES. Then again, they did say "summer" for the Bionic, only to release it a mere 2 weeks before the end of summer.

I'll still go with that 12/8, until they say further, but comfortable knowing that if 12/8 doesn't happen it won't be more than 3 weeks after that.

Upvote 0

It's the techno-way of occupy whatever street. If the man does not give you what you think you deserve, cost the man cash. Make the man see that you can fight back. In both cases it does not matter whether you actually have logic as long as you feeel like you are sticking it to the establishment. (Now in this case the man is verizon) And in both cases it will cost others to clean up the mess. At least in this case Verizon is not knuckling under.

As they told Rob, they will get it out when they are ready like it or not. Dont think Rob got much else out of them with his mighty stature :p
than anyone else did by calling CRS.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones