• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the authorized retailers can buy the phone for $619, wouldn't that make you think the retail price for the customer is going to be higher? That retailer has to make some money in there somewhere

I am assuming that was the price the customer will be charged. Yes if $619 is retailer discounted pricing, that will change.

Upvote 0
My sympathies on your suffering. You can step out soon and join us in the light. If the phone is working then I'd say wait. I know it's painful but you will be rewarded greatly.

What I really need to do is ignore this site for the next couple weeks. I just started lurking last week and I swear I've become addicted. So....hard....to look....away...

You've gone 3 years and you shouldn't have to wait an additional 2 weeks for the GN. You should totally rent now. It's worth it. :cool:

It's so hard to detect sarcasm over teh intrawebz...

Upvote 0
If the authorized retailers can buy the phone for $619, wouldn't that make you think the retail price for the customer is going to be higher? That retailer has to make some money in there somewhere

Authorized retailers don't believe in profits! :D My guess is that it's going to be closer to BB's price of $800. I don't know if I'd buy this phone off-contract when there's a possible quad core ICS phone coming out in the coming months.

Upvote 0
When did it stop being beneficial to build your own computer?

Quite a few years ago, actually. I too, was an avid computer builder and used Asus motherboards exclusively. However, most store-bought computers come with dual- or quad-core processors, tons of RAM, and video cards that we only dreamed about a few years ago.... all for about $800. My profit margin became too narrow and my computer support moonlighting has long-shifted from "I love doing this and the extra money is nice" to "I don't like doing this anymore but I still need the extra money".

Not only that, I just don't have the time for computer games anymore, so why do I need a custom-built, fire-breathing, high-end gaming computer? As soon as a component fails in my current desktop, I plan to buy a laptop as that will more than suit my current computing needs. I only turn my desktop on once or twice a week now as it is, because I can use email and Internet on my Asus Transformer... and that's 90% of what I do with a computer.

Priorities shift in life... I haven't turned on my Nintendo Wii in months. :(

Reactions: DSCR and drbugsmn
Upvote 0
What I really need to do is ignore this site for the next couple weeks. I just started lurking last week and I swear I've become addicted. So....hard....to look....away...

It's so hard to detect sarcasm over teh intrawebz...

It's not an addiction until you are using your phone and iPad keep up and avoid using work Internet. Oh wait...........

Upvote 0
Now is there a way to get rid of the google search bar at the top...thats the real question...:thinking:

The search bar up top doesn't bug me too much, looks like there is room for four rows of icons which is what I have on Gingerbread anyways. If, however, hiding the search bar opened up another row of icons that'd be something I'd like to see.

I'm sure one of the devs will find a way to hide it, but the question then remains will it just be blank space or usable space.

Upvote 0
So here are the numbers for those of us who don't have an upgrade handy, if the $619 price is correct. With 7% tax (my tax), the phone at retail comes to $663.39. By adding a line, phone price is $320.92, plus $14.61 for 24 months for the extra line, Comes to $671.63. But if you can get a loyalty discount, that will reduce the cost of the subsidized phone to $249, and end up being cheaper overall @ $618.13

the way i look at it is, with adding a line, you aren't really saving any money, but its an easier up front cost with 2 years of "financing" basically. Definitely easier for many to pay $320 up front and paying $14.61 a month, (wouldn't it technically be for 20 months, since Verizon's "years" when it comes to upgrades are 10 months?) At least that's how I've always seen it happen for myself.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I was not familiar with ASUS either but did some research and seems like a pretty decent product. I watched a number videos on Youtube with the tablet and keyboard together and thought it was awesome. The Transformer 1 has pretty good following as well. The T2 gets pretty good reviews and is scheduled to Ice Cream Sandwich very soon after the new year and if I'm not mistaken the first Android to do so. Here is a review from CNET, I know not great souce but it is a good basic run down.
Asus Transformer Prime is dressed to impress | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

I too would buy an Asus product due to their reputation. My experience with Asus has soley been with computer components. Really like their motherboards. I've been curious about their turn key products. This Transformer looks awesome.

Upvote 0
You've gone 3 years and you shouldn't have to wait an additional 2 weeks for the GN. You should totally rent now. It's worth it. :cool:

I don't think the rental program is worth it.
1) there's no release date, and, I don't even want to finish this thought.....
2) I'll have to pay $35 to restock said phone... which negates my last NE2 $30 discount. I feel like I'm pinching every penny, here, but $30 is $30 and adding $35 to my phone purchase, just to try out a phone I don't want doesn't sound worth it, to me.

... and while I'm in miserly Scrooge McDuck mode, What's a loyalty discount? I've been on Verizon since about 1999 and have brought in a whole family plan's worth of lines and even spun off a former family line into it's own plan. Don't I deserve a $50 loyalty discount?

Upvote 0
the way i look at it is, with adding a line, you aren't really saving any money, but its an easier up front cost with 2 years of "financing" basically. Definitely easier for many to pay $320 up front and paying $14.61 a month, (wouldn't it technically be for 20 months, since Verizon's "years" when it comes to upgrades are 10 months?) At least that's how I've always seen it happen for myself.

You are under contract for 24 months, so if you decided to cancel the line, you would need to wait the full 24 months before cancelling it. That is what I am basing my calculation on. If you want to continue to keep the line, and just use it for extra subsidized upgrades, technically you could use the 20 month calculation, as that is how often it would yield an upgrade...

Reactions: lickwidravr
Upvote 0
The search bar up top doesn't bug me too much, looks like there is room for four rows of icons which is what I have on Gingerbread anyways. If, however, hiding the search bar opened up another row of icons that'd be something I'd like to see.

I'm sure one of the devs will find a way to hide it, but the question then remains will it just be blank space or usable space.

I actually like the search bar up there. I think the 3 bottom buttons look better than 4, and I don't put any icons or anything up that high on my screen. Plus it is nearly transparent except for the outline. I know most on here won't keep it if they don't have to but I will

Reactions: DSCR
Upvote 0
I don't think the rental program is worth it.
1) there's no release date, and, I don't even want to finish this thought.....
2) I'll have to pay $35 to restock said phone... which negates my last NE2 $30 discount. I feel like I'm pinching every penny, here, but $30 is $30 and adding $35 to my phone purchase, just to try out a phone I don't want doesn't sound worth it, to me.

... and while I'm in miserly Scrooge McDuck mode, What's a loyalty discount? I've been on Verizon since about 1999 and have brought in a whole family plan's worth of lines and even spun off a former family line into it's own plan. Don't I deserve a $50 loyalty discount?

Actually it doesn't exist anymore. You used to get a "additional" rebate on top of the normal upgrade discount. For example the upgrade price for the GN would be 299$ you get a additional 50-100$ dollars off that price. (note: some people still have a left over discount from before the program ended)

Upvote 0
gotta love android devs! I'm still wondering how well/poorly apps will work without the hard menu button

In my experience they are absolutely fine. The only issue I've had is with using the keyboard. Occasionally I'll brush the 'Home' button while trying to tap space bar, slightly annoying if you're in the middle of composing an email.

Upvote 0
Actually it doesn't exist anymore. You used to get a "additional" rebate on top of the normal upgrade discount. For example the upgrade price for the GN would be 299$ you get a additional 50-100$ dollars off that price. (note: some people still have a left over discount from before the program ended)

right, I have a leftover $30 (I was on the cheapest plan, so I only get $30, not $50), but I swear I saw someone talking about getting their last NE2 as well as a "$50 Loyalty Discount" ... so I assumed it was something else.

Upvote 0
I actually like the search bar up there. I think the 3 bottom buttons look better than 4, and I don't put any icons or anything up that high on my screen. Plus it is nearly transparent except for the outline. I know most on here won't keep it if they don't have to but I will

IF it doesn't take up additional real estate I'm ok with it. If it takes away an entire row I will not be happy. I do like just the three buttons though. If I'm being picky I wish the house was shaped differently. It looks weird to me

So 4 x 4 makes me happy. :)

Upvote 0
You are under contract for 24 months, so if you decided to cancel the line, you would need to wait the full 24 months before cancelling it. That is what I am basing my calculation on. If you want to continue to keep the line, and just use it for extra subsidized upgrades, technically you could use the 20 month calculation, as that is how often it would yield an upgrade...

thats what i usually do, it's a good "plan of action" if you are addicted to the latest tech. Here's my usual scenario(doubt i'll do it with the Nexus though since this is the most anticipated phone of the year and will be incredible)

I have a family plan, 4 lines, 2 are mine.

I have my main line, and a spare which i use for quicker"upgrades".

If you plan it out well, you can have an upgrade every 10 months.

This is how i started. Got my line, waited 10 months, added a line to get an upgrade (now with 10 months left on my main) waited 10 months, used my main line upgrade(10 months left on my add-a-line) and so on and so forth. Good upgrading "loop-hole" that can't really be removed.

Addition: It was easier when they had 1 year contracts because then you could upgrade even easier and it didn't cost much extra to upgrade with a 1 year contact v.s. a 2 year contract. I see a 14 dollar monthly cost as a fairly cheap way of getting around 1 year contracts if you plan it like i stated above.

Upvote 0
IF it doesn't take up additional real estate I'm ok with it. If it takes away an entire row I will not be happy. I do like just the three buttons though. If I'm being picky I wish the house was shaped differently. It looks weird to me.

And I can bet you that since adding the search button so easy that someone will find a way to change those icons to your liking.

This is the best part about the awesome Android developers AND the use of soft buttons.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones