• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few years ago, actually. I too, was an avid computer builder and used Asus motherboards exclusively. However, most store-bought computers come with dual- or quad-core processors, tons of RAM, and video cards that we only dreamed about a few years ago.... all for about $800. My profit margin became too narrow and my computer support moonlighting has long-shifted from "I love doing this and the extra money is nice" to "I don't like doing this anymore but I still need the extra money".

No kidding. The big box companies can get the hardware at such heavy discounts, and when you take into account the fact that they subsidize the OS on it as well, it's almost impossible to build your own computer for any competitive cost.

There are still good reasons to build your own PC - customization, and the long term support for component hardware is generally better than the big box places (e.g. you can get stuck with a Dell where you can't upgrade the CPU because they aren't providing a BIOS update), but for strict cost, it's just not worth it. Especially when you factor in time to build it, and that support is limited to you personally tracking down the problem and figuring out who to call, instead of calling Dell or HP or whoever and saying, "it's broken - you figure it out and fix it."

I was building machines in the late 90s and even on into maybe 2002 or so, but the profit margins just plunged once online-ordered, fully customizable PCs were being offered from all the mainstream manufacturers. I still build my own but there's no profit in it anymore.

Upvote 0
4x4. The area under the search bar acts like a normal homescreen.

Im running 5 X 5 on launcher pro. ugh. I don't want to run a launcher on ICS. Guess Ill have to change it back to 4 X 4 now so I can get used to it again.

These are the kinds of things I'd like to see in ICS. Could care less about dumb camera tricks and the like. Make the launcher more customizable. And only 5 screens? I wanna be able to change that too. Home screen looping? please!?! Maybe (hopefully:thinking:) Launcher pro will get updated.....

Upvote 0
Who wanted a search button on their device? This is why I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE android development and its developers.

Screenshot_2011-11-22-13-17-37.png

22 Nov: UI patches (LHS / RHS / Both / Search Button / When Hidden) - Android @ MoDaCo

I'd personally prefer a menu button over the search one. Have they made it possible to add that yet? Either way any development is good news.

Upvote 0
thats what i usually do, it's a good "plan of action" if you are addicted to the latest tech. Here's my usual scenario(doubt i'll do it with the Nexus though since this is the most anticipated phone of the year and will be incredible)

I have a family plan, 4 lines, 2 are mine.

I have my main line, and a spare which i use for quicker"upgrades".

If you plan it out well, you can have an upgrade every 10 months.

This is how i started. Got my line, waited 10 months, added a line to get an upgrade (now with 10 months left on my main) waited 10 months, used my main line upgrade(10 months left on my add-a-line) and so on and so forth. Good upgrading "loop-hole" that can't really be removed.

Addition: It was easier when they had 1 year contracts because then you could upgrade even easier and it didn't cost much extra to upgrade with a 1 year contact v.s. a 2 year contract. I see a 14 dollar monthly cost as a fairly cheap way of getting around 1 year contracts if you plan it like i stated above.

Wow $168 a year just to have the option to upgrade to the latest and greatest... you must be rich! :D That's a good strategy. So do you use both phone lines on a daily basis?

:cool:

Upvote 0
And I can bet you that since adding the search button so easy that someone will find a way to change those icons to your liking.

This is the best part about the awesome Android developers AND the use of soft buttons.

So true and I love them all for doing it.
I think I'm just so used to the htc home button that the Samsung one looks funny

Upvote 0
I'd personally prefer a menu button over the search one. Have they made it possible to add that yet? Either way any development is good news.

He hasn't added a large menu button, but did a find a way to leave the three-dot menu button active at all times as well as relocate it. It is linked in that post -- screenshot below.

Screenshot_2011-11-22-13-17-33.png

Upvote 0
Quite a few years ago, actually. I too, was an avid computer builder and used Asus motherboards exclusively. However, most store-bought computers come with dual- or quad-core processors, tons of RAM, and video cards that we only dreamed about a few years ago.... all for about $800. My profit margin became too narrow and my computer support moonlighting has long-shifted from "I love doing this and the extra money is nice" to "I don't like doing this anymore but I still need the extra money".

Not only that, I just don't have the time for computer games anymore, so why do I need a custom-built, fire-breathing, high-end gaming computer? As soon as a component fails in my current desktop, I plan to buy a laptop as that will more than suit my current computing needs. I only turn my desktop on once or twice a week now as it is, because I can use email and Internet on my Asus Transformer... and that's 90% of what I do with a computer.

Priorities shift in life... I haven't turned on my Nintendo Wii in months. :(
Ok well for your personal situation. You said it like it was just how it is now. I do agree on the low end its hard to beat a prebuilt when you include windows. But I hate the low quality parts and crappy cases OEM's use. I will always build my own pc's.

Upvote 0
No kidding. The big box companies can get the hardware at such heavy discounts, and when you take into account the fact that they subsidize the OS on it as well, it's almost impossible to build your own computer for any competitive cost.

There are still good reasons to build your own PC - customization, and the long term support for component hardware is generally better than the big box places (e.g. you can get stuck with a Dell where you can't upgrade the CPU because they aren't providing a BIOS update), but for strict cost, it's just not worth it. Especially when you factor in time to build it, and that support is limited to you personally tracking down the problem and figuring out who to call, instead of calling Dell or HP or whoever and saying, "it's broken - you figure it out and fix it."

I was building machines in the late 90s and even on into maybe 2002 or so, but the profit margins just plunged once online-ordered, fully customizable PCs were being offered from all the mainstream manufacturers. I still build my own but there's no profit in it anymore.

Yeah I have switched to laptops now that my computer gaming days are over. My dad and I had a decently successful computer building business while I was in high school, paid for my car and gas. He kept it up when I went to college, but it basically dropped down to making him just enough to keep his personal computer up to date at all times. Now he doesn't even do that.

Upvote 0
Phew! Missed a lot this AM beuenas dias hermanos y hermanas

Me: "Siri, when will Verizon actually release the Galaxy Nexus?"
Siri: "Wouldn't you rather know the meaning of life?"

Ok, that conversation never actually happened, just figured I'd inject a funny for my first post in this epic thread. I'm a long time Touch Pro 2 victim and am looking forward to getting my hands on my first Android device :). I'm just as frustrated with the rest of y'all as to how Verizon has botched this release.

And a fun 1st post by you welcome here brainis

Okay so lots of craziness yesterday that I missed... And I will today too, working from 9 till noon at one job then 1 till 1 at another shoot. Long long day. But hopefully we get something concrete! And hopefully someone remembers to PM me when that happens! BB, Im looking at you sister!

Nothing missed really you did good to stand clear of the heat :)

So no jockeying for 1,000 post marks, but 100's of pages of worthless commentary on the number of posts, page numbers and size of this thread compared to other threads that adds ZERO value to this thread is ok. That makes sense. :thinking: Got it.

Thanks for the clarification. :D

Call it what you will!

Whats with all the talk about renting phones and the return policy?:thinking:

Is it supposed to be cool these days to rip Verizon off by depreciating one of their devices just because you want a new phone right now while you wait for the GN?:thinking:

I seem to understand this forum does not condone discussion of tethering via hacking ware. Is this not some kind of Mal method or procedure?

To me getting a device just so one can play with it will cause more harm than good. After they have had enough Verizon will just massage their return policy to the point that folks with legit reason's for returning a device will suffer. And I will not blame Verizon for doing it.

My guess is they will shorten it by 5 day first.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

I agree with the exception of those who are presently experiencing a dying phone

Did anyone really expect anything different from VZW? Much thanks to Rob for trying.

Nope and yes Rob and the admin done very well

You can lay money on 'prior to Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark saying Happy New Year '

lmao :D

Hey everybody, first time poster :) I've been following this thread some several thousand messages ago haha.
So I was inspired by Hansolo and wrote Verizon execs and I actually got a phone call back! (Not much about the Nexus, to skip straight to that, jump below) I wrote not just about the Nexus but...

• My Droid's service has diminished since the installation of 4g in our area.
  • $300 for a phone that only lasts 18 out of the 24 months of a contract is total crap. My OG Droid is on its last leg. Phones' lifespans should last considerably longer for the price we pay.
  • My phone has an ever increasing number of problems as it ages.
  • The Bionic, and now Nexus, release fiascoes are ridiculous.
I didn't get much of a response but wanted to go ahead and share. YES, a CS rep, Ron T., from the executive's office did call me back. That in and of itself is impressive. Nice to see a company caring enough to call me. But honestly that's as good as it got.

I didn't get anything like Hansolo (no $50 credit, no offer for a replacement phone, etc, I've been a customer for 10+ yrs) The real sad thing about it is that they never once even said something like "I'm sorry sir, is there anything we can do to improve your experience?" They never once just offered to help, in any way. Just a simple "I'm sorry, what can I do?" That should be minimal, standard Customer Service. While the guy was friendly, he pretty much just gave me the... This is how it is, deal with it approach. The most "helpful" thing he mentioned was reminding me I could use my warranty replacement policy (which I pay 6.99 for) to get a new phone. That's it.

I appreciate Verizon getting back with me. They said they understand my concern. But they never offered any help with an appology. In the end I don't know that it made any bit of a difference. There was no pledge to improve the service coverage experience. I was told prices and plans aren't changing and they only "hope" the quality of technology improves. They're doing what they can about the Nexus.

Nexus info: The only thing the guy mentioned was he hadn't heard about any problems causing a delay (not so sure that I believe him there). The volume bug in the UK is tied to the radios and frequency over there, theoretically shouldn't have any impact in the US. And they'll release it by Christmas. It isn't much of anything, but it's what I got.

In short, I thank them for the call, but they really did nothing in the line of caring to make sure my experience with them is a positive one. Thanks for nothing VZ.

Nice to hear someone speak of VZ's courtesy. Welcome to the forum!

Ok, I'm getting fed up suffering through my Blackberry's endless life. I've had this stupid thing for 3 years now and I want to step out of the dark ages. I really don't want to go the "renting" route out of fear that Verizon will donkey punch me in the face then point and laugh after they delay the GN, but I'm getting to the point of no restraint. Should I wait until 12/1 to rent? That way I figure I'd still be within the return period if they delayed it a few days. I figure I can hold off for another week.

Hi. My names Dubie and I'm living in the past. I need help.

Welcome to the forum I had a Blackberry once back in the olden days :p

Stick it out!

Me also!

Upvote 0
Ok well for your personal situation. You said it like it was just how it is now. I do agree on the low end its hard to beat a prebuilt when you include windows. But I hate the low quality parts and crappy cases OEM's use. I will always build my own pc's.

Oh I agree about that... at least computer cases aren't that horrible tan/beige anymore! :p

Upvote 0
Much Agreed!!!! However, will this be hard to add, or is it like installing an app???

Paul said that when Clockword is available on the device he will ZIP them into CWM packages.

For right now it requires a few lines in ADB, but its very simple and you can copy/paste his adb commands for easier execution.

Upvote 0
Yeah I have switched to laptops now that my computer gaming days are over. My dad and I had a decently successful computer building business while I was in high school, paid for my car and gas. He kept it up when I went to college, but it basically dropped down to making him just enough to keep his personal computer up to date at all times. Now he doesn't even do that.

Nice I've been building them (1st for customers now for family/friends) since 2000 super fun. I wished I could stick with just a laptop... phone has become my mobile browser of choice. Still, nothing like a big powerful desktop with an SSD for those other tasks we all do like edit HD video, edit RAW images, all while F@H :p

Can't wait to browse the forums on the GN really looking forward to it

Reactions: DSCR
Upvote 0
If the authorized retailers can buy the phone for $619, wouldn't that make you think the retail price for the customer is going to be higher? That retailer has to make some money in there somewhere

I don't know it works for VZW. I own a Cricket store and we only make between $10 and $30 a phone. So if they get it for $619 I would guess our cost is around $$630 to $650

Upvote 0
Wow $168 a year just to have the option to upgrade to the latest and greatest... you must be rich! :D That's a good strategy. So do you use both phone lines on a daily basis?

i don't use the add a line at all, i have a dummy phone on it at all times(a voyager) when you lump up the sum like that it does seem expensive, but when its broken down every month its much more affordable, I'm by no means rich AT ALL lol, i graduated college February of 2010 and started working May 2010, i'm paying off student loans and a new car i got around the time i started working. So definitely not rich lol. :p

Reactions: OhMyNexus
Upvote 0
Looks like I'll actually get to use LTE on my Galaxy Nexus. December 15th has all the dinky towns around me getting LTE service which has put me in total shock when I read that. A town of 5,000 is getting LTE before some big cities. I wasn't expecting it until well after 2012. That news almost makes up for all the GN "delays".

Now the question is, What will come first? The GN or my LTE network?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones