• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say it as many times as you want but the non believers will not listen ;)

i just don't understand the "it varies by who you talk to" argument. it is what it is, and it can't possibly be different from one store to another. trust what is printed on the receipt! a contract only consists of what is written; you cannot hold someone to an unprinted policy that you may or may not have explained to them. simple as that.

Upvote 0
The reason all these wireless company's are so secretive now is because of all these people that rent phone's knowing they have intention's on keeping them. It's also the reason price's have gone thru the roof. 750.00 for a phone is bull crap I guess people think they have a right to rip big company's off.And can't understand why these company's seem to be ripping them off.

Upvote 0
DROID Charge Gingerbread Changelog Posted, Android 2.3 Finally Arrives – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Unrelated: News for anyone who has a droid charge. Apparently verizon finally approved an official gingerbread build for it, and scheduled it to ota on November 29th. It's only a year late, and will finally make all the lte phones on gingerbread or higher.

Related news, this is why I want a nexus phone from now on, no more of this slow samsung update process. Figures this gets announced and released right before I'm about to get one.

Upvote 0
The reason all these wireless company's are so secretive now is because of all these people that rent phone's knowing they have intention's on keeping them. It's also the reason price's have gone thru the roof. 750.00 for a phone is bull crap I guess people think they have a right to rip big company's off.And can't understand why these company's seem to be ripping them off.

The retail price of a device is set by the manufacturer, not VZW or any other carrier. The subsidized price is set by the carrier, which they don't have to do, but in order to make them affordable for John Q. Public, they gladly do so that you will pay for their respective service. This is why Amazon can sell smartphones for a penny, and Verizon sells them for $299. As technology moves forward, the newest technology will always be expensive, and get cheaper as time goes on, but the price of small tablet computers that you can make phone calls on and navigate to Grandma's house for the holidays, will remain high, and I am glad that VZW will make it cheaper for me as long as I stay with them.

Upvote 0
i just don't understand the "it varies by who you talk to" argument. it is what it is, and it can't possibly be different from one store to another. trust what is printed on the receipt! a contract only consists of what is written; you cannot hold someone to an unprinted policy that you may or may not have explained to them. simple as that.

Thanks for being the first to finally get a receipt up on the board with proof.
Im in a pretty shtty senerio compared to some... I dont need to rent just to F around with a new phone, I need to lock into the double plan, I probably wont even take the phone out of the box.

Reactions: SolidOrange
Upvote 0

I am sorry this seems almost like an oxymoron....small consumer ripping off a major corporation? Everytime I turn around it is a major corporation trying to squeeze more money out of me. Business is business....they make the rules I use them for what works best for me as do they. Ripoff ='s charging you to tether your phone to use data you already pay for.

Upvote 0
This Droid 4 leak would explain why windsock was spouting off about the nexus release being closer to Christmas. More let downs from verizon perhaps.

What Droid 4 leak?

They're releasing a damn phone that we just glimpsed not more than 2 weeks ago? Before the SGN??

This is bordering on abuse.

Unfortunately, for me if it even pushes to the 8th that's too late for me :(

I leave for a cruise early on the 10th. and I've already decided if I don't get at least a week to play, I'm just going to wait till after. :/

I wouldn't worry, Crash. I'm sure we'll be in the same boat when you get back. At least you'll be able to take a nice break and relax.

I just hope I get the stupid thing before I leave for Colorado on January 15. :(

Upvote 0
@TheRealBeesley
✔ Beesley
@VZWSupport How about you just confirm a release date for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. 1000's of us WANT to spend money! Throw us a bone!

@VZWSupport
VZW Support
@TheRealBeesley We understand the want and need for this device; however, we do not have a release date. Thank you for your patience. ^LA

Upvote 0
The retail price of a device is set by the manufacturer, not VZW or any other carrier. The subsidized price is set by the carrier, which they don't have to do, but in order to make them affordable for John Q. Public, they gladly do so that you will pay for their respective service. This is why Amazon can sell smartphones for a penny, and Verizon sells them for $299. As technology moves forward, the newest technology will always be expensive, and get cheaper as time goes on, but the price of small tablet computers that you can make phone calls on and navigate to Grandma's house for the holidays, will remain high, and I am glad that VZW will make it cheaper for me as long as I stay with them.

I am not sure that I agree with the manufacturer setting the retail price. If you were to buy a phone outright from Best Buy you would pay much more than what you would pay buying it outright from Verizon. Once the phone is sold to the vendor, the vendor can decide on what they sell the device for. At least that is what I think on it. I could be wrong, happened once before. :)

Upvote 0
What Droid 4 leak?

They're releasing a damn phone that we just glimpsed not more than 2 weeks ago? Before the SGN??

This is bordering on abuse.

I wouldn't worry, Crash. I'm sure we'll be in the same boat when you get back. At least you'll be able to take a nice break and relax.

I just hope I get the stupid thing before I leave for Colorado on January 15. :(

I actually hope it drops before I leave at least. If not I'll be wandering around the boat looking for rich people to bum internet access off of so I check this thread :/

Upvote 0
I am not sure that I agree with the manufacturer setting the retail price. If you were to buy a phone outright from Best Buy you would pay much more than what you would pay buying it outright from Verizon. Once the phone is sold to the vendor, the vendor can decide on what they sell the device for. At least that is what I think on it. I could be wrong, happened once before. :)

This may be correct, but all consumer products have a MSRP.

Upvote 0
@TheRealBeesley
✔ Beesley
@VZWSupport How about you just confirm a release date for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. 1000's of us WANT to spend money! Throw us a bone!

@VZWSupport
VZW Support
@TheRealBeesley We understand the want and need for this device; however, we do not have a release date. Thank you for your patience. ^LA

WHAT PATIENCE??!@#!#!????

If we had patience, we wouldn't be bugging them every 5 minutes!

Upvote 0
Off topic:
So the Chiefs took Orton. McCown comes to Chicago. I sure hope Hanie is up to snuff.

Looking forward to the Harbaugh Bowl, San Fran at Baltimore. Should be a good game, sappy family soap opera aside.

On topic:

I'm starting to lean more and more towards blowing off Verizon, keeping the Dinc2, and just going with the Transformer Prime. I wanted the SGN for a big screen, HD, and ICS. Looks like the TP will have those too.

Oh no. It's called TP. :thinking:

Reactions: nexusprimepls
Upvote 0

Charging $700 for a piece of techno that cost about $50 to make is only that way so you feel like you are getting a great deal at $300 w/ a 'subsidized' phone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones