• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omap 4470 only has got a single-core PowerVr SGX544...

True, but I think you'll find that the higher performance Apple apps are actually using that second GPU as a specialized math processor, an old trick from the bit-slice processor days, and that that use allows an efficient fill of the remaining GPU.

So - depending upon software architecture, it's not safe to say that the GPU core loss will result in an actual performance loss. (Beyond the raw performance loss inherent in Android vs. iOS for highly specialized apps like that, per my earlier post on OS architectures.)

To clarify (and apologize if I'm repeating), I care about the end result in the platform and what is achieved as an end result.

Discussions of the raw SoC have too many variables to be really useful for our purposes, but that is just my opinion.

the SGX544MP2 will be in the OMAP 5 series, but when OMAP5 is avaiable in devices, the apple A6 will already be avaiable with an even better GPU :/
Perhaps true.

if i missunderstood you, pls excuse me :D
I think you're doing fine, with the exception that you forgot to read my mind on what I did not write! :D

Upvote 0
yup. omap5 looks to be android's best chance of catching up. it will be interesting to see what apple uses in the a6. probably just a 543/544mp4, right?

i see it differently than you i suppose. 4460 has been the rumor since june. many times from many "sources". exynos rumor has one source..from a few days ago.

Yes, we see it completely different. That's fine though. Moving on.

Upvote 0
iowabowtech-albums-my-pics-picture4329-lost-confused.jpg

For now.

Upvote 0
So, I've been watching this thread and dreaming of getting my hands on the Prime. Looks like an amazing phone.

That being said, I may be in a situation where it would be better for me to "wait for the next best thing". There's a good chance that I'll be redeploying to Afghanistan at the beginning of 2012 for like a 4 month tour. If this phone comes out Nov 3 as rumored, I'll get Nov-Dec and possibly Jan to play with it before I leave. Then it would be fairly useless to me for 4-5 months. And when I get back, there are going to be bigger & Badder phones out there.

So, Logically, It would be bettter for me to wait till next year to upgrade.
Emotionally, I want it now! :D
Let's just see if I can Hold out. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your service too, ASC! :)

Yeah, the quads should start rolling out by next summer... so if you only have one upgrade to burn and you can't wait, then get the GNP (Galaxy-Nexus-Prime). Otherwise, you MIGHT be better off waiting for that mythical but sure-bet "next big thing".

EDIT: BTW EarlyMon, that Dusty Springfield video was a classic touch! We all needed that... and I think we just got our new anthem around here! :p

Upvote 0
So um yeah guys....there's a new phone called the Nexus Prime. Have you heard about it?

Ok, totally and srsly lma0!!!

Fun Fact:

This article on engadget about the Nexus Prime Specs has got over 3000 comments :eek:

that's not so far away from this thread's ~4800 comments, so guys, push it :D

[sry Stephen i know you don't want this thread to grow fast :p]

// back to topic ;)

3000 posts - 1000 posts calling names - 800 posts complaining about name-calling posts = 1200 posts over there

We win. :) ;)

Reactions: UBRocked and r4yN
Upvote 0
i just realized that i'm addicted to this Thread and the Nexus Prime :eek:

i spend so many hours refreshing the latest page of this thread, searching for 'google nexus prime' on google and visiting other tech sites...

can someone explain what's this 'real life'? i guess i forgot...

and btw im stil refreshing this thread and writing comments, though i'd have to learn for anoher school examn tomorrow :(

and all about this damn phone, i'd better arrive soon... :D

Upvote 0
Yeah but then start subtracting all of the off topic and worthless posts in this thread and you will come close to the same number ;)

Sure, fine, ok - but do they have Steven belting out a Dusty Springfield number?

They do not.

Still winning over here.

:D:D:D

Upvote 0
Silly question (for post 4900), but:

Without the Samsung/Google announcement Tuesday, is there anything else at CTIA that we should be looking for? If so, what? :thinking:

well there's the chance that samsung & google will announce their new date for their UNPACKED event while CTIA...

they said they would announce a new date soon, but they haven't yet...

just a thought... ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones