• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on that. But wouldn't ICS + Sense be even bigger than stock ICS?

The HTC Ville leaked today with S4 snapdragon looks very interesting, but I'm worried that Sense in ICS might offset the speed/battery advantage that S4 brings.

That's exactly why I said we know some parts (kernel and Dalvik) will improve, but the rest we'll have to wait and see.

A lot of the functionality between ICS and Sense is similar in that apps operate on the intention of data use (*) - data ties to people (associations), you then choose your people-communicating actions. The interface looks people-centric rather than app centric in many key areas, at least it does to me - that seemed immediately obvious in the HK live vid on ICS.

If they just blindly shoehorn both in together without thinking, it's going to be a nightmare of incompatible duplication. I expect them to be smarter than that, I'm hard-pressed to see HTC not understand what's required there, but - we'll see.

(* footnote) Yes, that's a Sense feature already under patent troll attack by Apple. :rolleyes:

Reactions: drbugsmn and jmar
Upvote 0
Have we seen any additional evidence of a week-of 11/28 release? My rent-a-rezound has been keeping me busy after finally retiring my OG droid last week, but dammit I'm ready for my nexi.

Just that advertising map from awhile back. :thinking:

Attachments

• 11-1-2011verizonroadmap.jpg
    11-1-2011verizonroadmap.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0
Good news.. thanks for sharing!!

Ive been kinda quiet lately with the posts. But the closer to launch im getting more and more excited. I think I have watched every unboxing video there is. including different languages. haha
and no problem sharing. I just was skeptical with the info cause i have seen people get blasted for their info. didn't wanna start an argument

:(

Reactions: harpua and scottg96
Upvote 0
Have we seen any additional evidence of a week-of 11/28 release? My rent-a-rezound has been keeping me busy after finally retiring my OG droid last week, but dammit I'm ready for my nexi.

There was that leaked Verizon holiday ad (that was 100% legit) that said it would be $199.99 and the URL that it linked to had "111129-HOLIDAYSAMSUNG" in it... Also, there was that roadmap from a while ago that has been correct so far that lists the GNex "marketing" (or possibly even selling) beginning 11/28.

As much as I would like it to be true - and perhaps it is - I must ask...since when has anything about this launch "made sense"??? :D

Well technically, Verizon doesn't "make Sense". I believe HTC is the only one who makes Sense. ;)

Reactions: CaptainRon and jmar
Upvote 0
I don't see why ICS wouldn't support long presses on soft keys...?

My preferred use of QuickDesk is to map it to a long press on search rather than home - without the patch that Stigy turned us on to, there is no search key on the Nexus. And would the keys appear easily when I need them? Will QuickDesk even support ICS?

Big issues for me - I've relied on that app for over a year, can't say enough good about it.

edit - ninja'd by drhill :)

Upvote 0
Ive been kinda quiet lately with the posts. But the closer to launch im getting more and more excited. I think I have watched every unboxing video there is. including different languages. haha
and no problem sharing. I just was skeptical with the info cause i have seen people get blasted for their info. didn't wanna start an argument

:(

No worries... I've been on a negative swing lately regarding how VZW has handled this phone launch:eek:. I decided a little bit ago to try and be more positive and to start my own little vendetta to support others who are optimistic as well:D

So.... thanks again for sharing. I feel like we are going to get some good news this week.

Reactions: sweatyBeef
Upvote 0
I stopped at a Verizon store earlier today and can honestly say after looking at the current lineup that I feel like the Galaxy Nexus will be worth the wait. :)

And I agree with a lot of you in that the Razr feels too wide. And the Rezound screen looks great, if the Galaxy Nexus' is that much better I'm not sure if my tv will be able to compete with it, haha.

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
I feel like we are all at a major headlining concert. The main performer is playing coy and is reluctant to come out from behind the curtain. When all of the sudden the noise from the crowd starts to blend together to form a unified chant. At first its hard to make out but slowly you can piece it together. And as you finally understand what the crowd around you is chanting, you join in.
Nex-us! Nex-us! Nex-us! Nex-us! Nex-us! Nex-us! Nex-us! Nex-us!
It feels to me as if the lead singer is about to step out from behind the curtain to an enormous and thounderous reception...

Come on cyber Monday!

Upvote 0
FWIW when i went to my local corp. Verizon store to purchase the red DInc2 (not really purchase...it was free 50 +50 mail in rebate) for my mother, i got to speaking with the CSR that was helping us out and she was extremely nice and obviously i asked about the GN. She mentioned that she was also waiting on the GN herself and they didnt have any concrete release date info, i asked if there was any sort of official waiting list she said no, but that she could save my email address in her outlook and that she would send me any info she gets in regards to the GN. she sent me a test email to which i replied saying thanks for all of the help. this all happened on black friday.

she emailed me today saying:

" Very welcome :)! week of christmas eve is the expected launch time for the Nexus!"

take that with a grain of salt, and i hope to god she's wrong. figured i would share any info i could get.

Upvote 0
FWIW when i went to my local corp. Verizon store to purchase the red DInc2 (not really purchase...it was free 50 +50 mail in rebate) for my mother, i got to speaking with the CSR that was helping us out and she was extremely nice and obviously i asked about the GN. She mentioned that she was also waiting on the GN herself and they didnt have any concrete release date info, i asked if there was any sort of official waiting list she said no, but that she could save my email address in her outlook and that she would send me any info she gets in regards to the GN. she sent me a test email to which i replied saying thanks for all of the help. this all happened on black friday.

" Very welcome :)! week of christmas eve is the expected launch time for the Nexus!"

take that with a grain of salt, and i hope to god she's wrong. figured i would share any info i could get.

Thanks for the info, but week of Christmas eve is.......... not very likely I think.

Then again, I'm the optimist around here, so take my opinions with a grain of salt too :p

Reactions: lickwidravr
Upvote 0
I still think it's going to launch on 12/8, but if it does launch the week of 11/28, it won't be the 28th or 29th. If this week is the week, it will launch on the 1st because verizon normally releases phones on thursdays and with that business insider report saying that samsung confirmed it being delayed until december; it would be the perfect alignment that the thursday of that week is December 1st. It's an outside shot, but my money is still on the 8th.

That is going to be a very expensive day for me with the transformer prime also allegedly being released that day. Dropping over 1000 dollars on two android devices is going to be rough during the holiday season, but very enjoyable.

Reactions: Rybnik
Upvote 0
Im not sure if its hope or a dumb store manager. But the manager that took my alleged "pre-order" at the Verizon Reseller store. Emailed me today and told me that the phone will definitely release the "week of" the 28th! so take it as you want. Im holding out hope that it releases this week too!
ur not alone!

letting the flaming ensue! doubt me all you want guys.

I believe you I really do :)

Would love for your manager reseller to be correct thanks for the share!

And vette : naked all the way no screen protection no case. Been there it's just not the same.

Upvote 0

Almost threw up a little

Upvote 0

So she had no idea in the store, then got some kind of information between the time you asked in the store and when she emailed? So 12/19 - 12/23 (probably 12/22 if Verizon sticks to the Thursday release date).

I guess it sort of makes sense if the Droid4 is slated for 12/8. But that will really piss me off that they will be pushing another Droid phone before the SGN. It just seems strange that she had no info, then emailed you the week of the 19th. How long between your visit and her email with that info?

Upvote 0
There was that leaked Verizon holiday ad (that was 100% legit) that said it would be $199.99 and the URL that it linked to had "111129-HOLIDAYSAMSUNG" in it... Also, there was that roadmap from a while ago that has been correct so far that lists the GNex "marketing" (or possibly even selling) beginning 11/28.

Just to inject a bit of Verizon realism, the ad campaign that starts on the 28, according to that leaked document, refers to a general Samsung portfolio and sticks in a "with Galaxy Nexus" almost as an afterthought. It may be that we'll see a Samsung campaign begin on the 28, but with no inclusion of the Nexus until farther down the road.

I do think it's possible that we will hear something next week, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
The more I watch videos, the more I realize that ICS is really not that much different than the MIUI ROMs that I've run for the last few months, that's not to discredit it any way. Rather, I think it shows very favorably that Google has finally saw fit to include features into stock Android like that. I absolutely loved MIUI and the extra functionality it brought to the table, it'll be amazing to have a ROM that mirrors it in many ways and having it running on the HW it was designed to run on. I seriously (before the Nexus and ICS were debuted) thought about jumping off Verizon and buying an unlocked MIUI phone, I forget the name, and taking it to AT&T. Now I'll have the best of both worlds!

Upvote 0

Egads :eek: I hope she is dead wrong!

But if it takes till then, than so be it :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones