• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argh. At Verizon. Mom is getting a red Dinc2. Our sales guy's friend is a tester of the Nexus. Says the phone is drool worthy. The store in Riverdale NJ has accessories too. Won't let me see. But said he hears the 8th. That's my requisite story.

PS - I am dealing with a manager so take it fwiw

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Wait.. need to reactivate? You have unlimited data and you have to reactivate it? Can you lose it if you're technically out of your 2 year contract?

Well, I was still in my 2-year contract. (My Dinc Broke), and I switched to an old RAZR on October 30th. I just hung up with Chris who reactivated my unlimited data. You have 30 days to reactivate is what I was told. I had no problems. The guy at the VZW store said to ask for an "Inactive Price Request". Whole call took 3 minutes :D

Didn't want to ask for GNex news while I was begging for Unlimited data back.

So I should be good to exchange now when the GNex comes out, and keep my unlimited plan.

Upvote 0
That sounds like an interesting field and much less dry than my topic. I am finishing my degree in Industrial engineering. I don't know about you but I am much more efficient in panic mode!:p

BTW I am 36 and this is my 1st degree:eek:

I have a student (I work at a performing arts center at a University) that had to write a 12 page paper last week.... something about the "aviary community" and Mount St. Helen. YIKES!!!!
I've had a couple of recent students that are engineering majors. You people a special breed. I love the way engineers think. They have a weird sense of humor...but awesome.

Reactions: redchilicat
Upvote 0
The volume bug doesn't exist on the LTE version, that's been confirmed by various engineers. It's a result of the 900 MHz band interference, but the LTE version doesn't use that frequency.
Sure, but we haven't heard about any other major bugs. Perhaps there's some sort of equivalent for the LTE version? We may not use the 900 MHz band, but we do still use 2G coverage in certain areas. Either that or the "bug fix" thing really is fake. I'm not confirming one way or the other, obviously, just trying to talk out all the possibilities.

Upvote 0
I have been playing around with the daughters Atrix II and mercyy its fast. Of course I'm comming off a OG Droid but wow. If the GN is faster or better bring it.

The AtrixII has no easy way to toggle the 4G. And it says 4G in the top bar.

If there is anything you want me to try and/or report on let me know.

Im not sure if its hope or a dumb store manager. But the manager that took my alleged "pre-order" at the Verizon Reseller store. Emailed me today and told me that the phone will definitely release the "week of" the 28th! so take it as you want. Im holding out hope that it releases this week too!
ur not alone!
letting the flaming ensue! doubt me all you want guys.

It would be nice if true but ... Heh!... Most of us are numb to release rumors especially from Store Reps.

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
Argh. At Verizon. Mom is getting a red Dinc2. Our sales guy's friend is a tester of the Nexus. Says the phone is drool worthy. The store in Riverdale NJ has accessories too. Won't let me see. But said he hears the 8th. That's my requisite story.

PS - I am dealing with a manager so take it fwiw

did she get the red dinc2 for free?

Upvote 0
Sure, but we haven't heard about any other major bugs. Perhaps there's some sort of equivalent for the LTE version? We may not use the 900 MHz band, but we do still use 2G coverage in certain areas. Either that or the "bug fix" thing really is fake. I'm not confirming one way or the other, obviously, just trying to talk out all the possibilities.

I have to tip my hat to Verizon on this one though...maybe it does exist maybe it doesn't but why not avoid it all together. Kind of like not telling anyone you have a curable STD because that could crush potentials in the future through that darn rumor mill. Best to take your meds and clear things up first, keep it to yourself and then resume business as usual in a few weeks.

I think someone posted earlier to this topic that hit it on the head. Why allow any chance of this phone getting the label of being buggy...it will scare away normal Joe consumer.

Reactions: shawn218 and jbdan
Upvote 0
I have a student (I work at a performing arts center at a University) that had to write a 12 page paper last week.... something about the "aviary community" and Mount St. Helen. YIKES!!!!
I've had a couple of recent students that are engineering majors. You people a special breed. I love the way engineers think. They have a weird sense of humor...but awesome.

:eek: At least I only have to eek out 4 pages of BS! I thought that if I went into engineering I wouldn't have to do much writing, that was wrong, wrong, wrong... As for the sense of humor, one of my professors tells me I have no "filter" LOL

On topic, someone posted a link to skins a while back, does anyone think the special grippy backside of the gnex will be a problem when using them? I have a skin on my ipad2:eek: (Sorry I do like my fruit products too!) and would like to get one for the gnex.

Upvote 0
I have been playing around with the daughters Atrix II and mercyy its fast. Of course I'm comming off a OG Droid but wow. If the GN is faster or better bring it.

It would be nice if true but ... Heh!... Most of us are numb to release rumors especially from Store Reps.

Although if he put money down for an (albeit unofficial) pre-order, you would think he would only tell him if he was sure of it. I think it's pretty believable.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

If you like the Atrix II (very good phone), you're going to REALLY love anything with a fast S3 (Rezound), Exynos (most SGS2), or OMAP4 (RAZR or Nexasaurus).

The Atrix II's OMAP processor is clocked at 1 GHz - the Gnex tops that by a full 20% speed increase.

Upvote 0
I just noticed something... in the Getting Started (International) video, when the lady powers on the phone, there's an unlocked icon at the bottom of the screen (~0:36 in the following video):
Galaxy Nexus: Getting Started (International) - YouTube

But in an unboxing video, the icon isn't there (~3:21 in the following video):
Galaxy Nexus Unboxing and Hands On - YouTube

Does this have any significance?

The unlocked padlock just indicates that that boot loader is unlocked (fastboot oem unlock to unlock).

Upvote 0
Remember the infamous chart from the first couple thousand posts... I have updated it.
screenshot20111127at112.png

interesting. Each point marks every 1000th post milestone

Upvote 0

From Zen and the Art of Programming (going from memory here)-

The Master asked - How many sides does a box have?

"Six," replied the physicist.

"Strictly speaking, it's a cubiform so there are six inner sides and six outer sides for a total of twelve," replied the mathematician.

The engineer quickly replied, "Four."

"How so," asked the master?

"Four sides and a top and a bottom."

"I see," said the Master, and turning, continued, "and how about you?"

Irritated, the programmer replied that a box has exactly two sides.

"How so," asked the master?

"There's an inside where all the circuit cards go, and there's an outside where you connect the keyboard and monitor."

"Exactly," proclaimed the Master.

:D

Is there any reason not to root the phone as soon as I get it?

If I root it I can use Backup Manager Pro to reinstall all my apps with data, but for at least the near future I'd like to get any system updates and rather not lose that feature by rooting.

(Yeah I know I could have posted this in the All Things Root section, but I'd rather hang out here with my family)

The reason to root comes in two words - nandroid backup. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones