1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General ***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steven58, Aug 23, 2011.

1. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Alright, self-imposed one hour cool down period complete.

It is all still rumor, with the exception of Verizon press release stating before the end of the year. Will Verizon lie to us, and feed us a line about technical issues preventing them from keeping their promise? That is the route they will HAVE to take to delay it to first quarter. I just can't see it. The GSM version will have been released for a month and a half by that point, and probably running great. Furthermore it will have been announced by Verizon for almost 2 1/2 months. And finally, Google and Samsung own 2/3rds of Verizon's phone line-up (Samsung and Motorola). They do have liasons in VZW HQ. They have their own testers, and will know if VZW is full of it or not. Too much working against Verizon here for them to even consider pulling this off, even if their financial folks (who notoriously don't know anything else about the business based on my experience) want them to.

Advertisement

Mr. Link likes this.
  2. somethingelse

somethingelse Newbie
    None

Nov 29, 2011
    Want to talk about something else? I worked on the TI audio codec of the Galaxy Nexus that normally gets paired with OMAP4..

Behind the glass: a detailed tour inside the Samsung Galaxy Nexus -- Engadget

Yeah, it's my baby. Maybe that's why I want the phone so badly. Or when the whole "volume control" issue veered it's ugly head, I was expecting a call. Happy they solved it with software.

K-West, Penguissimo, BobF and 4 others like this.
  3. RookTheKlown

RookTheKlown Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 14, 2009
    RI
    I'm still hoping for the 12/8 release. Yes, we've had plenty of leaked pics with different dates, but they've all been individual. A picture here of 11/17, one showing 11/21 w/o, and some of them ended up being somewhat right. I remember the 11/21 w/o one did show accurate release dates for other phones, however I have no idea how well-known those dates were at the time. My point is that anyone can fake one of those screenshots, and if you know the release date for an unrelated phone, add that info to make it more believable.

Now with 12/8, there were 2 pictures both referring to that date, and both being different types of documents and with different types of info attached. The first (quoted somewhere above) shows the red Dinc2 on 11/25 and the Nexus on 12/8. Half of that one came true. The other was a document referencing marketing materials, which had Nexus stuff on 12/8, as well as new iPhone window graphics on 12/1. So when Thursday comes around, let's see what kind of window graphics are in the local stores. If there's new iPhone stuff, then that adds more weight to the 12/8 date.

Then there's still that advertising roadmap that showed that VZW wasn't going to start advertising the Nexus until about this time (after black Friday weekend), which would also work well with a 12/8 release.

No matter what, I hope something comes soon. This waiting was bad enough when I had a phone that worked. Now that my Droid finally died, it's excruciating.

4. Cam

Cam Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    USAF
    Shreveport, LA
    So the plan for months have been for me to join my wife (got married in Oct) on VZW and for us to both get GNexes. Now we're talking seriously about bringing her to AT&T with me, and both of us getting SGS II Skyrockets. I'm about ready to hop off this crazy train. I shouldn't be spending so much time worrying about a damn phone, and I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the apparent apathy that VZW shows towards its loyal customer base.

Whether the latest rumor from Han's sister pans out or not, with not even a peep from VZW by now, I doubt we'll even see that 12/8 release date. This just isn't worth the stress, at all.

Ninja Monkey and Trooper like this.
  5. Grendil

Grendil Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    Because many of us have nearly 2 year old phones on their last legs.

Also, it's just my view, but I have no use for tablets, until they can run the same programs my windows desktop or laptop can run. Anything that's much bigger than the nexus, I don't want to run mobile apps on. I will just stick to my laptop.

Ninja Monkey and Mittar like this.
  6. AlexKP

AlexKP Member
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    Male
    Student
    Seattle
    and from what I've seen it seems to be less of a finger print magnet as well...thinkin of goin with the 64gb champagne myself

7. Hustletron

Hustletron Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 29, 2011
    Against my better judgement I have finally decided to join the madness that is this thread/message board. I've followed this thread specifically since the pages were in double digits

I'd like to confess that I have been voicing my opinion on the piss poor "journalism" of Richi over at Computer World, he has done this three times now for the same phone and then wants to tell the people berating him not to take their frustrations out on him when it's Verizon's fault?

The guy has lost what little credibility and intelligence that I had given the benefit of the doubt of even having in the first place. People wouldn't cruicfy him if he hadn't taken it upon himself to make the outrageous claims that anything was confirmed much less a preorder date and then to base it solely on some guy's interaction with a representative of Verizon. /rant from 10 pages ago over

Moving right along, I broke down and decided to send an email to that VP of National Customer Service expressing my disappointment, while I didn't use as colorful words as others to express their feelings, I did exagerrate a bit I believe. I did this for two things: To hopefully express my own personal concern for the release of the phone and basically say that "WE WANT IT!!!" and hopefully to get a pity burner phone until then as my Fascinate SUCKS! I've looked on craigslist in my area, I'm not paying $300 for a Droid X or X2, it's just not gonna happen.

I used the email form thing that pops up when you click to contact them, I'd be willing to send my same letter directly to him from my large, national, corporate, transportation company email if someone had his email address they could post or PM me.

To Mr. Bianchi:

Hello Mr. Bianchi

As you are the VP of National Customer Service for Verizon Wireless which happens to be my personal as well as professional wireless provider I felt I could reach out to you to express my great disappointment in lack of communication to your customers for the release of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

I, as many other faithful Verizon Wireless subscribers, wait with a bated breath for any indication of when the Galaxy Nexus will release or even an indication of when I can give my hard earned money to Verizon to ensure that I get a Galaxy Nexus on its release date, however, I'm sure you're well aware there have been no public announcements regarding the aforementioned undisclosed information other than the painfully vague "before the end of year". Many Android community members are very excited to get their hands on this fantastic device as it will be the de facto standard for Android as well as smartphones for quite some time until the new wave of devices releases. Generally speaking there seems to be two different camps of Android users that I come into contact with regularly, those that want the best and newest thing and those that are in need of a new phone due to their current device slowly but surely breaking down from extended use; both groups have their hearts set on the Galaxy Nexus.

Personally I am using a tattered Samsung Fascinate that is worn, constantly restarts itself, locks up, freezes, and occasionally won't turn on for extended periods and unfortunately this device is doubling as my work and personal device and being that I work in the IT field for a rather large national company I utilize my phone quite a bit. As I stated initially, I am reaching out to you due to your role in Customer Service and due to my role as a Verizon Wireless customer to request any information that you may be able to provide on the release of the Galaxy Nexus as my current device is on its last leg while I pay month to month with Verizon and I would like to sign a contract and purchase the Galaxy Nexus as soon as possible, ideally before my Fascinate fails completely and permanently.

Any information and assistance you can provide would be immensely appreciated and I thank you for your time and consideration.

Colin Reynolds

8. MallardRider

MallardRider Lurker
    None

May 13, 2011
    just a programmer
    Southern California
    Verizon could be making a mistake if they push the G Nexus debut until Q1 2012. ATT and T-Mobile will offer the G Nex by then.

And by Q1 2012, everyone will want a quad core phone.

9. JustinHEMI

JustinHEMI Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Male
    Senior nuclear reactor operator
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ignorant of what?

We will have to agree to disagree.

I watched the same thing happen when I waited for the incredible and I feel now as I felt then..., Verizon has said nothing official, and I don't feel it is bad "customer service" not to say anything until they are sure with what they are doing.

Like I said earlier, if I dial *611 right now with an issue, I'm confident it will be handled professionally and well..., just as it has been since I was under Bell Atlantic. Great customer service. Not releasing a phone NOW just because I want it does not equal bad customer service, nor does not telling me about..., IMO.

10. shawn487

shawn487 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 20, 2009
    Sencore Electronics
    South Dakota
    Ya I am starting to feel this way also. But then again no matter what they are still getting my money since I wont be switching carriers so might as well get a 4g phone and use the f out of the data plan since I have unlimited. I am also looking at getting the Asus Transformer Prime tablet. The thing looks extremely nice.

11. Richman21

Richman21 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Male
    Financial Analyst
    Albuquerque
    Awesome! Check out the threads over here if you haven't already...

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime - Android Forums

12. JustinHEMI

None

Apr 29, 2010
    Male
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You're assuming that they expected something other than a late Q4 or early Q1 release. Since we are all speculating, I speculate that Google execs don't care about what some perceive as a botched released.

13. MoPhoMan

MoPhoMan Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 28, 2010
    Male
    Saving Babies
    Orlando
    And on that note (f-sharp) I'm out...play nice kids

14. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    True for Q4, but not for Q1'12. They specifically said in their PR "end of the year". Or are we arguing they said "the" without referring to 2011? :rolleyes:

15. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred
    Congrats!

Welcome. Thanks for going against your better judgment. We love new family members here. And our better judgement usually gets stuck in the doorway on the way in so you are in good company.

16. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tech Support
    Boston, MA
    I bought a living social deal - $25 for $50 off VZW phones or accessories.

It expires....12/31/11. This phone better come out in December. My last NE2 is 12/29 so I was probably going to wait three weeks for that anyway, so December stuff doesn't bother me. But talking about January? guhhhh

17. AlexKP

AlexKP Member
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    Male
    Student
    Seattle
    sometimes I wish I never found this forum/thread
    u know what they say...ignorance is bliss

18. vespadaddy

vespadaddy Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Trophy Husband
    Minneapolis
    Has anyone else started to upload their music library to Google Music while we wait for this phone to drop? I've never used a cloud-based music service before, so I have a lot of ripping/iploading to do. It makes me feel like I am doing something productive to prepare for the day VZW releases the Galaxy Unicorn.

19. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    BB - I am starting to wonder if you predicted today's news based on your choice for Avatar... did Han give you a heads up? ;)

20. Hustletron

Hustletron Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 29, 2011

I definitely feel like December would have arrived sooner had I not been following this thread for......I'd rather not remember how long.

21. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    I've been using the Google Music beta for quite a while and really like it. I currently have just over 4000 songs uploaded.

22. Grendil

Grendil Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2011
    I would agree that until the Rezound, Verizon was lacking in its selection of high end android phones, with the lack of the galaxy 2 and a bionic by the time it was releases, being not so cutting edge.

But you can't really say the galaxy 2 is a superior phone to the rezound, or that any carrier has a more powerful phone on its network. Some people will argue for one or the other, many don't like HTC phones and many do not like Samsung phones. No one has an ICS phone yet in the US, so that's what I am waiting for.

All that said though, it's no excuse for the way Verizon has handled the release of the nexus.

23. JustinHEMI

None

Apr 29, 2010
    Male
    Pittsburgh, PA

If it goes beyond the end of this year, I will be right with the rest of the people in this thread on the hate train.

As far as Q4/Q1, I'm not arguing anything. I work for a large electric utility, and I am only assuming..., like everyone else here does..., that some things aren't so inflexible that they don't have contingencies in place if it goes into another quarter. That is all I meant by the Q4/Q1 thing.

24. Sushibagel

Sushibagel Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Business Consultant
    Woodland Hills, CA
    What did I miss we are talking January now?

25. essplode

essplode Newbie
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Thats pretty awesome! How did you get involved with that? Do you work for TI?

Im studying to be an electrical engineer right now and I would love to be involved in something like that.

Tags: