• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.....perhaps it will in fact launch across all carriers at the same time. Ooooo the mystery deepens.
Man that's what I'm hoping for. I hope we get some news or at least some leaks real soon. This is the only thing that's keeping me from giving in to the Epic 4G Touch. If this thing can at least come to Sprint on Dec., a can wait.

Upvote 0
So this newest info shoots a hole through the BGR article.

BGR said, and I will quote ", not only is Verizon launching the Samsung DROID Prime, a device that is sure to be the new flagship Android phone ahead of the holidays, but the company will have the handset as an exclusive."

The UAProf clearly states the GT-I9250 is the Nexus Prime so I am now starting to doubt the veracity of the BGR article.

The i515 could just be a slight upgrade of the i510 aka Droid Charge. Wouldn't that be a death blow. I don't know gents, just throwing my thoughts out there because this all hinges on BGR's "credible source" claiming the i515 is the Prime. They were wrong about exclusivity what else are they wrong about.............

Upvote 0
Hey Steven! I remember you back from the anticipation of the original HTC Incredible (not sure why you got the Droid X if you love Sense so much though).

I can say I want pure android experience and easily rooting and changing ROMs. With all these manufacturers trying to make you go through hoops for that, or register with the company when you do, I really want a Nexus phone on Verizon. I wanted the original Nexus One on Verizon, but they cancelled those plans. So I got the Incredible instead. It's been good to me, but I want in on the dual-core LTE goodness now!!

Hey Viper,

I went with the DX because of the screen size. At the time I knew nothing about rooting, so an encrypted bootloader was a non-issue for me. Over time, I became a voracious modder and have come to deeply resent the locked bootloader. I enjoy modding so much, now, that I'll never jump through these hoops again. Unlocked, unencrypted bootloader for me.

Welcome back, btw! :D

Upvote 0
I guess to not worry people as much another fact that the specs of the phone have been changed would be that the UAProf says that the camera of the phone is a 2 megapixel camera, and we ALL know that there is no way that would happen (BUT and this is a BIG BUT, maybe this is the resolution for the front facing camera).

There is no way to tell, but lets all hope that Samsung is just toying with us. And if they are, this isn't funny. I wouldn't play a joke like this on anybody, cuz this is just sickening. . .Don't they know how much this effects us lol

I mean, I've already made a roughly 5'by4' space in my house for this device to sleep and rest on for crying out-loud. .IN BED WITH ME lol

Upvote 0
Something to also keep in mind people is that these next 3-4 weeks are going to be filled with so much misinformation your head will spin. Tales of locked bootloaders,launch dates, touchwiz, no touchwiz, launching with GB then ICS then GB then back to IC and everything in between.

Its going to get really insane. Just sit back and watch the grains of salt go flying by.
Yup, rumors & speculations. But, I thought that ICS was confirmed.

There is no way to tell, but lets all hope that Samsung is just toying with us. And if they are, this isn't funny. I wouldn't play a joke like this on anybody, cuz this is just sickening. . .Don't they know how much this effects us lol

I mean, I've already made a roughly 5'by4' space in my house for this device to sleep and rest on for crying out-loud. .IN BED WITH ME lol

Creepy! You and CK should switch usernames. lol. From the looks of it, the Prime sounds like it's going to be a really powerful phone. But, remember how these things go with the delays and more delays. I honestly would not be surprised if it releases next year (which would definitely suck). If that happens, there will probably be better phones available or close to being available. Just saying, be prepared for a possible long wait.

On a side note, the preliminary design look decent. But, I think the EU GS2 looks so much better. If I had to sleep with a phone in my bed, that would be the one, hands-down.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry about the DROID Prime being a piece of crap. Now that Samsung has confirmed the name of the next Nexus device, it would be extremely stupid to have a Droid PRIME come out on Verizon and be just a crappy successor to the Charge.

From one of the articles linked (the last one, I believe):

This document says the Nexus Prime is the GT-I9250, an internal codename we heard of before. The GT-I9250 may be the international version of the phone with the SCH-I515 possibly representing the Verizon-bound Nexus Prime.
This makes sense.

The one thing that DOES bother me a bit is the screen resolution and ARM11 processor mentioned. Hopefully these are just placeholders, but Google hasn't exactly been exemplary in putting out cutting edge tech devices for the Nexus in the past, right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the Nexus devices have always been a bit behind in tech upon release.

Edit: After some searching, I've found out that the 800x480 WGA display is what's used in the Nexus S, and I doubt they'd stay at the same place display-wise. Also, the ARM11 processor is what's used in the iPhone 3GS, (which wasn't the fastest out there even when it released), and I HIGHLY doubt Samsung would step backwards that much.

They're just placeholders.

Reactions: johnny#5
Upvote 0
I don't know anymore. There are too many "possibly's" in those articles. The only thing we have is an article from BGR stating that the Nexus would be a Verizon exclusive and now we know that's wrong. What else is incorrect in this article? I really hope I'm wrong about this but I'm starting to seriously doubt we are going to get the Nexus.

Looks to me like the i515 is an upgrade of the i510. Here's to hoping something breaks to prove me wrong.

Upvote 0
Gotta say I've been eagerly eyeing this phone for the past month. My buddy and I want to buy the phone off contract when it comes out because it seems that good. However, the absense of an hd display and/or absense of nexus qualities. I don't care if they call it droid, as long as they don't put any of their scum worthless apps on it and get updates as google releases. I'm done with mystery apps draining battery life and causing performance issues. My bet is it will be released within 2 weeks of the iphone launch not to steal all of apple's thunder but definitely make a dent.

Reactions: Thejungle
Upvote 0
Droid Bionic is being released with a veritable smorgasbord of bloatware, from Citrix to VZ Navigator. Verizon makes big bucks loading bloatware like Netflix and Blockbuster on phones... so don't expect a stock vanilla "Droid" Prime. I have a feeling that I'll be rooting this thing on Day 31 of ownership and freezing a whole slew of crapware with TiBU. Sad, but true. Why do they offer 1GB of RAM and then fill it up with their own garbage?

Because they CAN. :mad:

Upvote 0
.... The only thing we have is an article from BGR stating that the Nexus would be a Verizon exclusive and now we know that's wrong. .....

How is that wrong? Verizon will get an exclusive on SCH-i515, which is most likely the Verizon "exclusive" version of the Nexus Prime. GT-i9250 is most likely the international version.

But yes, there are too many "possibly's", but that's always the case with a new phone. Everything about the Bionic was speculation until roughly 2 or 3 weeks ago.

With this handset passing wifi and bluetooth, I'm still very optimistic about getting a premium handset with ICS coming to Verizon relatively soon. They can call it the Droid Prime, Charge II, or Pink Polyp LTE for all I care.

I just want it already!!

Upvote 0
How is that wrong? Verizon will get an exclusive on SCH-i515, which is most likely the Verizon "exclusive" version of the Nexus Prime. GT-i9250 is most likely the international version.

But yes, there are too many "possibly's", but that's always the case with a new phone. Everything about the Bionic was speculation until roughly 2 or 3 weeks ago.

With this handset passing wifi and bluetooth, I'm still very optimistic about getting a premium handset with ICS coming to Verizon relatively soon. They can call it the Droid Prime, Charge II, or Pink Polyp LTE for all I care.

I just want it already!!

I think he is talking about the Nexus Phone itself. There is so much confussion that people think the Nexus phone itself that we all expect is Verizon exclusive. That would be a fail on Googles part. I'm pretty sure every carrier that has a Nexus phone now will continue to. Now whatever IC phone Samsung is giving Verizon could be their version or just a phone in general with IC to compete or very much differ from the other SGSII. You don't have to be google to make an all stock phone. Personally I think if it is a stock phone it will be some exceptions like the G2x. It was nearly stock but had a few makeover areas. I think what's more important is what Google will be announcing and not what Verizon will be getting. There is still no hard concrete evidence of both being what and having what.

Upvote 0
Gotta say I've been eagerly eyeing this phone for the past month. My buddy and I want to buy the phone off contract when it comes out because it seems that good. However, the absense of an hd display and/or absense of nexus qualities. I don't care if they call it droid, as long as they don't put any of their scum worthless apps on it and get updates as google releases. I'm done with mystery apps draining battery life and causing performance issues. My bet is it will be released within 2 weeks of the iphone launch not to steal all of apple's thunder but definitely make a dent.

How this looks like? Tell us something about the UI and design!

Upvote 0

its incorrect because its not an exclusive. The Nexus Prime has been outed as the GT-i9250 and that means there is another version or worst yet that's the ONLY version.

Upvote 0
Droid Bionic is being released with a veritable smorgasbord of bloatware, from Citrix to VZ Navigator. Verizon makes big bucks loading bloatware like Netflix and Blockbuster on phones... so don't expect a stock vanilla "Droid" Prime. I have a feeling that I'll be rooting this thing on Day 31 of ownership and freezing a whole slew of crapware with TiBU. Sad, but true. Why do they offer 1GB of RAM and then fill it up with their own garbage?

Because they CAN. :mad:
Verizon bloat has nothing to do with a stock vanilla handset. A manufacturers UI on the other hand.........

Upvote 0
Verizon bloat has nothing to do with a stock vanilla handset. A manufacturers UI on the other hand.........

If I understand what you're implying, I agree. Bloat is annoying but can be easily frozen with root. A manufacturers UI means you are a slave to their update schedule. As I said before, with Samsung's poor update record and considering ICS will have tons of bugs (all new software does, it's just a fact of life), I may pass on the Prime. With vanilla Android, I'd expect bugs to get fixed more quickly. It doesn't surprise me that Verizon would screw up a potentially amazing phone.

I'm withholding final judgement until we get facts and not just more rumors.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
its incorrect because its not an exclusive. The Nexus Prime has been outed as the GT-i9250 and that means there is another version or worst yet that's the ONLY version.

Yes, the GT-i9250 has been outed as the Prime, but that doesn't mean it's not merely the international version of it. (GSM).

P3Droid, who's been on the inside of things in the past, has confirmed that SCH-i515 is the Prime for Verizon.

I don't think we'll be disappointed.

Upvote 0
I'm not putting much stock in their speculation in that article that Nexus Prime is coming to all carriers. The only concrete info there is Samsung confirmed they are making Nexus Prime and rest of it is all their speculations. So it could very well be Droid Prime (or whatever VZW calls) coming exclusively to Verizon as BGR reported.

As for the spec concerns that Nexus is lagging behind others, that's not necessarily true either. That WVGA leak is probably not real as ICS needs to have higher resolution. Nexus One had top notch spec when it hit. Only Nexus S had the same spec as SGS, but it was still comparable to other top device at that time though it was on the eve of dual core phones coming a few months later. Previous nexus devices were not sales hit due to poor marketing, timing and low availablity, not because its hardwares were not competitive enough. They were on T-mobile for first several months, retail online only or subdized on bestbuy only with next to zero marketing. I think this will all change with Nexus Prime, hitting verizon first exclusively and maybe other carriers later on, though it remains to be seen if Prime on verizon will have custom UI or not.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones