• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is either separate from system OR if it can be partitioned, I don't see the worry. It's highly unlikely the drive will fail completely. As long as recovery still works, you can mount the drive just like an external drive on your PC, right? I mean, if the current ROM is completely hosed and needs to be wiped.

I wouldn't count on that. Depending on how the phone dies from failed hardware (or maybe also from corrupted firmware?), there's no guarantee the phone would successfully mount on a PC. The data would still be on the flash chip inside the phone, but I have no clue how you'd retrieve it!

Upvote 0
hopefully we can finally put to rest the cpu nonsense :p:D edit: i see it's not going anywhere lol

curious. how many of you are going to stay stock, and how many of you are going to install cyanogenmod 9?

i'll be taking cm9 :cool:

I'll be installing blur or sense on mine. :p

Upvote 0

[first i wanted to post my opinion, but then i noticed its way to long and also full of insults, so i decided to leave it out...]

short version:

-> i'm disappointed 'cause the 'leaks' assume that the NP will only come with the OMAP 4460 and not the exynos 4212... :(

the GPU is already 2 years old, and i don't want to have a GPU that other smartphones were able to have 2 years ago... yeah with the right kernel you can overclock your GPU... so if you overclock your SGX540 from ~200MHz to 380MHz you'll have exactly the same model that is used in the omap 4460... (i don't know if i'd run smooth, but it's theoretically possible)

nevertheless i'll wait for the official specs, if the NP comes with the exynos 4212 i'll be a happy customer, but with the OMAP 4460 i can't imagine buying it...

i know you guys say things like you don't really care about its gaming performance, you just want ICS, but i don't... i want to play complex 3D-games on my smartphone, especially on the beautiful 720p screen...

And that's reasonable. It has to work for YOU. I think this phone still sounds great but I was hoping for something a little more edgy.

Seriously, thanks to Steven's source. I hope you don't take any negativity as a sign of us not being appreciative of your efforts because that is not the case. I think we were waiting on (or hoping for) a "breakthrough" device of some kind...

Upvote 0
hopefully we can finally put to rest the cpu nonsense :p:D edit: i see it's not going anywhere lol

curious. how many of you are going to stay stock, and how many of you are going to install cyanogenmod 9?

i'll be taking cm9 :cool:

I'll probably keep stock for awhile like I did with the incredible, then go mod after other phones start getting updates and mine does not. Same as I did with the Incredible. Once other phones started getting 2.3 and there wasn't even a whisper that it was coming for me I jumped ship and upgraded it with a firmware that had it available.

If this phone turns out to get updates direct from Google then I will probably just keep it stock.

Upvote 0
I'm not disappointed with 1.5Ghz OMAP 4460 at all. 1Ghz OMAP 4430 in LG 3D performs close to SGS2 with 1.2Ghz Exynos in many benchmarks. I'd blame Blur UI in D3, Bionic as it's performing a bit slower than LG 3D with the same processor. So 1.5Ghz OMAP 4460 plus stock ICS should be faster than any other Android phones to date I think.

Upvote 0
When the the official specs are released it will not even be a big deal. We've covered every spec scenario there is. Anything short of a Quad Core with 2 Gigs of RAM will be met with disappointment :)

I can see it now

" I don't know guys i'm kind of disappointed with these specs"

"Yeah me too."

"This is essentially the SGSII HD I was expecting something at least a little different"

"all this waiting for that? I'm moving on guys."

"Hopefully the RAZR or Vigor is more impressive"

lols

Upvote 0
And that's reasonable. It has to work for YOU. I think this phone still sounds great but I was hoping for something a little more edgy.

Seriously, thanks to Steven's source. I hope you don't take any negativity as a sign of us not being appreciative of your efforts because that is not the case. I think we were waiting on (or hoping for) a "breakthrough" device of some kind...

you should have seen what i was about to post...

almost every 3rd word was an insult :D (of course not against steven's source, but the device and kinda against google & samsung)

i'm just pissed, because i waited for the NP since the first rumours in june (or was it july? this ony about the 720p sAMOLED screens, and the following BGR-report about the prime), and now after all this long months of waiting i didn't expect to be disappointed...

or in other words... i was hoping for the 'beast' that it was said to be and that it would bash the iPhone 5 (well now its called the 4S), so i assumed it would have a better GPU, but now the wait seems to be senseless (to me only, not to thones of you being only interested in ICS 4.0) :(

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Yes, but if you take away the widgets (which I have 3) IMO you take away the main things I prefer over IOS. But I am just sick of the battery life of my phone lately and just venting mostly. And to be honest I am enviouls of my wifes one year old Iphones battery life.

I also am frustrated that that the Incredible didn't receive the latest GB update. IMO if you buy a phone at launch you should be entilted to every software upgrade untill the 2 year contract is up.

If you buy an Iphone at launch you receive the updates for about two years and that is fair.

Yes, it's all preference. I can pick up my phone scroll my screens and get the latest twitter messages, stock market index report, all recent email from all my accounts, baseball scores (go Tigers!!!!), weather conditions, and my integrated calendar in seconds. I'm running Sensei Mod 602 V3 with an extended battery and that baby just runs on and on without needing a charge. BTW, I've got the iPad 1 which I love for the apps so I'm familiar with the platform. I need a phone that does what android does but I share your battery concern. If the NP sucks up so much juice that can't be fixed by rooting and an extended battery I would not be a happy camper.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't count on that. Depending on how the phone dies from failed hardware (or maybe also from corrupted firmware?), there's no guarantee the phone would successfully mount on a PC. The data would still be on the flash chip inside the phone, but I have no clue how you'd retrieve it!

That is exactly what I was just thinking. If I manage to fry or smash the phone and the SD card is in one piece, I've got a good chance of getting my data off the card. What if the cops want my phone because I waas filming them? Concealing a card in my mouth is much easier then concealing an entire phone. I shudder to think where I'd hide a phone!

Another good point is data access in areas of no reception as mentioned perviously.

Upvote 0

[first i wanted to post my opinion, but then i noticed its way to long and also full of insults, so i decided to leave it out...]

short version:

-> i'm disappointed 'cause the 'leaks' assume that the NP will only come with the OMAP 4460 and not the exynos 4212... :(

the GPU is already 2 years old, and i don't want to have a GPU that other smartphones were able to have 2 years ago... yeah with the right kernel you can overclock your GPU... so if you overclock your SGX540 from ~200MHz to 380MHz you'll have exactly the same model that is used in the omap 4460... (i don't know if i'd run smooth, but it's theoretically possible)

nevertheless i'll wait for the official specs, if the NP comes with the exynos 4212 i'll be a happy customer, but with the OMAP 4460 i can't imagine buying it...

i know you guys say things like you don't really care about its gaming performance, you just want ICS, but i don't... i want to play complex 3D-games on my smartphone, especially on the beautiful 720p screen...

moreover: no sd-card-slot? are you kidding me?

now when the first microSDCX-cards are avaiable with storage of 64gig (2gb theoretically possible), which are working with many devices like the SGS2...

no comment on that...

(yeah i know that they want to fix that with cloud, google music and all this stuff... but you need a permanent internet connection for that... here in germany you only get about 1GB/month @ 7,2MB/s and only 260kbit/s for everything after the 1GB... we don't have unlimited contracts or something...)

Another victim of over-hyping; nevertheless, I think this will be the best phone out there when it comes out, and at least for a few months after it's release it will continue to be so.

Even I was expecting more than what seem to be the "actual" phone specs, but we always get brought back down to reality pretty quickly ;)

Reactions: Don S and EarlyMon
Upvote 0

Nail. Head.

While this is exactly how I feel, I remain excited about this phone. Despite it not being what I expected, I am thinking that we are simply getting the solid-but-not-ground-breaking devices that align with Nexus devices past. They are great devices, everyone seems to enjoy their experience with them, but it's just not pushing any technological boundaries.

This is cool for me. I want to hope for a removable battery, but iphones and ipods don't have "removable" batteries and they're still easy to swap out if one goes bad. I could see how people who use spare batteries would be annoyed.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
you should have seen what i was about to post...

almost every 3rd word was an insult :D

i'm just pissed, because i waited for the NP since the first rumours in june (or was it july? this ony about the 720p sAMOLED screens, and the following BGR-report about the prime), and now after all this long months of waiting i didn't expect to be disappointed...

or in other words... i was hoping for the 'beast' that it was said to be and that it would bash the iPhone 5 (well now its called the 4S), so i assumed it would have a better GPU, but now the wait seems to be senseless (to me only, not to thones of you being only interested in ICS 4.0)

1 year contracts are all gone. Phones need to be sustainable for 20 months and I don't know if this will cut it. I'll wait until it's announced, reviewed, etc. before I make my decision...I have until January. Pure Google is the biggest draw for me at this time because unfortunately, the manufacturers will most likely put their crap on every other device and I DON'T WANT THAT! Every device should be a Nexus! This is more competitive than the Nexus S was though, that's for sure!...Although, that was simply a revamped Galaxy S...I'm sensing a trend here! LOL

I waited for the Thunderbolt for 7 months total. Sure glad I got it on a one year contract because as it turned out...it's not a 2 year phone for a power user.

Just bring back 1 year upgrades and I'll loosen my requirements :D

Upvote 0
Another victim of over-hyping; nevertheless, I think this will be the best phone out there when it comes out, and at least for a few months after it's release it will continue to be so.

Even I was expecting more than what seem to be the "actual" phone specs, but we always get brought back down to reality pretty quickly ;)

that's why i was trying so hard to scale everyones expectations back the last few days. that chip, at earliest, is not going to be seen until the s3. but like i was also saying, updated drivers and the higher clock speed of the 4460 should make this one of the top android devices

Upvote 0
huuuu... ok i guess i finally calmed down...

there hasn't been any clear statement that we won't see the exynos-soc, that was just an interpretation of the phandroid-guy..

OK (i'll wait for the official specs and decide then what i'll do, this seems fair, doesn't it?)

but no sd-card-support seems to be pretty bad :mad:

32gb is much yes, but if you want to enjoy you're 720p screen you need to watch 720p movies and games, and those need a lot of storage + 1080p recorded videos... 32gb seems to be not enough...

*please exynos 4212 + sd-card-slot*

Upvote 0
What happens when you remove all the widgets and are left with only icons on the screen? I would say that's more apples to apples (haha, no pun intended) test. iOS is an app launcher vs. desktop.

If widgets are designed correctly, they should have minimal impact on battery life.

I develop live wallpapers for Android that use 100% of the CPU and still have good battery life, because the live wallpaper uses 0% CPU when it isn't in use. The average user is only on the desktop a few seconds at a time, so its overall effect is minimal.

Most of the Android's battery performance problems come from poorly designed apps. iOS gets around the problem by not allowing multi-tasking, so a rogue background app can't be wasting resources. Android is plagued with poorly designed apps running in the background and bloated skins.

Upvote 0
huuuu... ok i guess i finally calmed down...

there hasn't been any clear statement that we won't see the exynos-soc, that was just an interpretation of the phandroid-guy..

OK (i'll wait for the official specs and decide then what i'll do, this seems fair, doesn't it?)

but no sd-card-support seems to be pretty bad :mad:

32gb is much yes, but if you want to enjoy you're 720p screen you need to watch 720p movies and games, and those need a lot of storage + 1080p recorded videos... 32gb seems to be not enough...

I think you may be looking for a different phone. :cool:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones