• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the reason I believe there is no official launch date -- Verizon doesn't want to get further bad press if they can't meet it. They're tired of the leaks, rumors, and speculation. We know stores have the phone, we know reps know about the phone, we know we want the phone. It will be released soon, Verizon just doesn't want to say when, one day it will just be available.

bingo!

Upvote 0
OK.......... In Georgia, by LAW it is LEGAL to record a conversation be it a phone line or otherwise on one condition.

One of the persons being recorded HAS to be INVOLVED in the and have full knowledge the conversation is being recorded.

You cannot legally tape you wife and boyfriend's conversations unless one of them is aware they are being recorded.

Cool, that's why asked, in MD its not. That said after I wrote that, I thought about it and because the employee is considered a "Representative" of the corporation it may be a gray area here...

Upvote 0
LOL funny, That said did you get approval to post the conversation? did the person know they were being recorded?

I don't about where you live and I assume you know the laws there being in the biz. But in MD its illegal (even for PI's) to record a conversation without someone's knowledge...

I'm No lawyer, but Here in AZ I'm told that only one of the parties involved needs to know that they're being recorded for it to be legal. So I can't record a convo between two other people, but between me an someone else is ok.

Upvote 0
I will say that there are two things that the iPhone has done for smartphones in general...
1st: They stimulated the smartphone market in a big way.
Sure, Microsoft had already been doing the smartphone thing and they were SLLLOOOOWWWWWLLLYYYY improving, but like I said... slowly.
Google was moving quick, but Apple was first in this way.

2nd: They cut out the carrier's hold on the app markets.
Remember having to buy your apps every time your phone died?
I think Google could have done it, but I don't think it would have been as easy. Google had leverage because of Apple's success.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Living with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, three weeks later | CNET Technology

"If you're already leaning toward the Galaxy Nexus, awaiting its arrival with hungry eyes, then you should buy it. You won't be disappointed. While we haven't been able to test the Verizon version, Samsung and Google have together created a powerful, usable smartphone that heralds the direction we're going with Android."

Upvote 0
OT (Chicago Sports):

I bleed cubbie blue and live near Wrigleyville, so what can I do? I can't write them off. But I just hope the Bulls make a run at trading for Dwight Howard. Give them Noah and Boozer, I don't care.

Derrick Rose worked out with Rob McClanaghan this summer to hone his game. This kid hasn't reached his ceiling yet. I think the Bulls will be great this year. They just need another piece. With Howard, they'd have the best center/guard combo in the league and can make another run at the Heat.

OT Sports:

I was raised in a Cubs family, and went to school at DePaul. Trust me, after watching them lose my entire life, I just gave up! I won't ever support another team, but I'm just done with baseball!

Basketball, on the other hand...I get pretty annoyed at the player antics.

Also, why is is all of a sudden the cool thing to do to bitch about their contracts and how they don't think they're making enough money? Really? You make millions of dollars to PLAY a GAME...shut up and play!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, even if Verizon announced that they were scrapping the SGN for good, most of us would still stick around. They would justify it by blaming Google's software or some crap like that, and they would then just ignore it. They know that. So they don't care what we want or when we want it.

The reason we'd stick around? You said it yourself:

It's the "best" frakking network available for most people.

Now, AT&T isn't too bad in Chicago, and their 4G is up and running here, so I have no aversion whatsoever to jumping ship. But my wife doesn't want to pay the ETF on her line, so we're stuck for the time being.

What? You're a lawyer. You're made of money right? Don't you have one of these in your backyard?

money_tree.jpg

Upvote 0
Maynardtwinn said:
First Press release is out, no Nexus.

Link?

I'm sure ninja'd
Verizon Wireless Expands 3G Coverage In Clinton County, New York

Interesting how they always used to say LTE now available on 16 devices, but for the last week they've left out the device count.
I'm sure ninja'd
Verizon Wireless Expands 3G Coverage In Clinton County, New York

Interesting how they always used to say LTE now available on 16 devices, but for the last week they've left out the device count.
I don't see the Nexus mentioned anywhere. What am I missing?

I'm not sure what you're missing, I thought you asked for the link to the Press Release:thinking:

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Been lurking in this thread for a little over two months and thought I'd share info from my trip to Verizon store this morning.

Earlier this week I made an appt with the store for Saturday morning to get a GNEX because I'm not able to go tomorrow. The salesperson said he/she would call me if anything came up that I should be concerned about, like that they sold out on Friday. Well after seeing all the delay info yesterday and last night, I stopped into the store this morning to see my salesperson. I said that I'd seen/heard a lot of very discouraging rumors that the phone won't be released this week. I was told that they are aware of the rumors but that everything was still moving forward for this week. I told he/she that I was going to be very upset if I show up for the appt Sat morning for no reason, but I was assured again that I will be able to get the phone.

I know that Verizon salespeople are usually left in the dark and that I'm probably getting my hopes up for no reason, but I thought I'd at least share what I've been told.

Upvote 0
All this talk of the phone being cancelled is pretty dumb, imo. Nobody in their right mind would scrap a phone that is already sitting on shelves in Verizon stores.

If there is a significant hardware flaw or something like that, the phones would have already been shipped back, I would think. Therefore, I'm going to assume that A) They're making sure the LTE network is all good before launching, or B) There's a major software issue that needs resolving before they're comfortable with releasing the phone.

Upvote 0
This got me interested in finding out how many individual posters are in this thread... 1484 nexicans! + thousands more lurking nexicans of course

1484? Well let me do my part to try to bring that up to 1500. I lurked the Incredible release thread, took the day off, and picked it up when it came out. It's been treating me well. (It even survived a good dunking in an unfortunate sailing mishap the first summer I had it. :eek: :D ) The speaker has finally blown and it's suffering from random reboots lately, but a bag of rice and 3 days of sunshine worked wonders to have stretched it's life out this far. But I'm definitely looking forward to the Nexus. I haven't followed this thread from the beginning, but it has definitely taken up a significant portion of my free-time (and some of my not-so-free-time) in the past two weeks or so. So let me say thanks for the information and entertainment.

OT Movies:
And maybe you can help to settle this dispute I seem to stir up every year. Because if a group that can go 70k+ posts can't do it I'm sure it'll never happen....

The original Die Hard is a Christmas movie. Right?

Upvote 0
I just called 2 retailers, 2 RadioShacks, and 2 Costcos to see if any of them were releasing the phone tomorrow. They all pretty much gave me the same story that they were supposed to release the phone tomorrow but the date has been pushed back to an unknown date.

The RadioShacks' responses were interesting. The first lady said they had them in stock and was looking for a release date but couldn't find one. She said maybe call back in an hour and see if she has any new information but that she thinks it will be releasing next week. The second store told me they also had them in stock but that they are not able to sell them until they get the OK from Verizon, which he didn't expect anytime soon.

Upvote 0
How bad is VZW going to look tomorrow, because with absolute certainty, some third party retailer somewhere will definitely sell it tomorrow, be it mistake or not. ?

this is exactly what i am curious about. you know it will get sold SOMEWHERE (and i don't mean canada!).

the third party retailers are gonna get hounded tomorrow by rabid nexus hunters.

you know somebody is gonna cave in or not know about the delay and sell the device. there will be somebody on this forum with pics and a story!

Upvote 0
I don't think that's great advice Kengh. How do you know for sure it can be activated with sim or not? If it hasn't been officially released, we have no idea if the system will allow it.

Well, I am not entirely sure, but I was basing it on the poster this morning that said he almost got a Nexus from a Auth. Retailer until the Rep. could not verify a price in the system and called a manager.

I know it's bad advice, I'm just desperate haha. Also, I would love RS to sell some of them tomorrow for full MSRP, no contract. Not that I'd be buying it like that, I just want to see some members here get their Nexus tomorrow :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones