• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to give my local BB a call just to check if they had it in stock and whether they would sell it, and the CSR sounded exasperated when she said: "No, we don't know the release date. Someone just called and asked about it."

I am all for cutting them slack. I just wanted to check my local guys to see what they had to say. It looks like they are getting inundated with calls!

Upvote 0
Football OT:

When the Colts come to play in Baltimore, the announcers at the statum don't introduce them as the Indianapolis Colts, they say "The Indianapolis professional football team". After what the Irsay family did to our city they shouldn't even call them professionals.

Being from Seattle and having lost my Super Sonics, I can appreciate this. There should be more rules relating to relocation of sports teams.

Upvote 0
Store manager came out and assisted myself and my rep and guaranteed the 15th. I got to play with the GN this afternoon. I believe I almost fainted in-store :p this phone is so special. So glad I waited for what I think is the best phone now and to come for quite some time. It's the bomb, really! It is super solid I couldn't believe it with all the plastic. foar moar dayz!! :D

Upvote 0
exactly...its just a phone...i can't imagine my parents generation getting this yanked about a phone or a tv or even a car...it would go like this:

Honey we need a car...i am headed down to the dodge dealer to pick one up...need anything while i'm out?

I envy those days.:cool:

I think I am your parents generation. :p

Upvote 0
A VZW rep just told me the reason for the delay is because Apple is trying to sue Samsung for the nexus.... Not sure if I believe that or not...
False info. Many reps get thier info from the internet, and it's ashame they relay that bad info.

For the record, Apple and Samsung currently have over 100 suits against one another, and none of them relate to the Nexus directly.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I would lovee to hear your advice on this (it could potentially save me and countless others some hard-earned cash come the 15th).

We all know the $100 off and $50 off any smartphone/android phone mailers exist, but many of us did not receive them. Some said they will be printing them out, taking them to their Verizon store, and attempting to make them honor it.

What is a good plan of action for making this happen? Should I call the national sales line right now and say, "hey my friends got this coupon mailer - my contract is expired, why don't you give me one?". Should I do the same but with my local store? Should I just show up with the printout on the 15th?

I don't consider myself the best negotiator in these circumstances :eek: so any opinions would be appreciated

I too am interested if others have tried this yet and had success. Someone said yesterday that the Verizon rep they spoke said this was a Midwest promo only. We should email Verizon cs to ask

Also interested as I'm on the East Coast and month to month.

I just emailed them and will let everyone know what I hear back.

Thanks, I imagine if I don't hear otherwise I'll start by calling a national sales number and stating that I'm auditing my finances, debating whether to go to another carrier, and then ask for a copy of the coupon to be mailed to me.

Upvote 0
Sorry if already asked

What did the welcome emails say?

Screenshot_2011-12-11-14-21-28.png

Screenshot_2011 -12-11-14-22-39.png

Upvote 0
Yakju and all variants of it are GSM firmware builds. The variants of Yakju (ie - yakjuxw) are regional builds distributed by Samsung.

The LTE firmware build is Mysid. I don't foresee Samsung releasing firmware builds, as LTE is locked to one region. So you should be fine - nothing to worry about.

To answer your question, though - there is no 'easy' way to check instore that I'm aware of.

Its actually not hard to check and does not require root. So long as the phone as reception just download astro or any other file manager and check

/system/build.prop

with a text editor

As we will all be getting a phone for the same region i don't know why we would see any differences and since we have no idea about any kind of updates atm all this info will tell us is if we all have the same build on our phones.. That is when and if we get them.

For anyone with a gsm nexus all you have to do is get adb working and you can download the image from google and flash yourself to their stock image.

EDIT: the stock image is confirmed to work with no problems by at least one person on xda, but i haven't been back to the thread in a while so see if others have done the same.

Upvote 0
OT -- warning, this is a long and sad story about my absence over the end of the week. Please do read it though because I have a really important message at the end I want to share!
Friday was possibly one of the worst days of my entire life. One of our puppies, Lucy got very sick very quickly. I thought it was just from her vaccines, but after a nap with her Daddy, she wouldn't wake up so I rushed to meet them at the vet ER. She declined very quickly and suffered multiple seizures as we learned her liver was failing and so was the rest of her tiny body. She was only 7.5 lbs at 13 weeks while her sister Scout is a healthy and hearty 12 lbs. Lucy was also suffering from an extremely severe gastrointestinal infection, the worst the emergency vet said she had ever seen. We took her in around 4 and by 7, we had to put her down. We are devastated as you can imagine. I haven't stopped crying for more than 20 minutes since Friday night.
When we got home after, our first concern was our other puppy and how she would handle it, we started talking about when we might be ready to find her another sister. I realized that we didn't know the adoption status of two of their sisters (2 of the other girls and the 1 brother were adopted around the same time we brought Scout and Lucy home). Apparently Lucy's former foster mom had the same idea - she sprung into action and arranged for us to adopt one of them at no attentional charge. So yesterday morning, we bravely faced that decision.
When we saw the two girls, we realized how gravely ill Lucy had always been. Her growth was clearly stunted by whatever disease had destroyed her liver. They were big happy healthy puppy girls. We brought home one of them - we have named her Boo. She has been a blessing - she's literally perched on my shoulder right now as i lounge on the couch typing this. She's so affectionate and reminds us so much of Lucy - but she has quickly become a wonderful playmate and companion for Scout as well. Scout is still struggling somewhat. She whined liked I'd never heard her before when her Daddy just left, I can't imagine how sad she would be with no sister by her side.
It's going to be hard for a while, especially seeing Lucy's grave outside and seeing so much of her personality in Boo, but we feel so thankful that she chose us to be her parents while she was on earth. We are so blessed to have been able to give her sister a home too.

But there is still one of their litter mates left in foster care, so in dedication to Lucy I have made it my mission to find her a home for the holidays! And in the end, that is the reason for this very long post, so I hope you have made it this far!

Please have a look at Jambalya!!

If you don't live in Michigan, please pass this along to anyone you know who does! She is a healthy, happy, loving, energetic girl who is great with other dogs and cats. She seems to really like kids too and I bet would be the perfect first dog because she always wants to play. She is almost completely house broken as I understand as well. Jambalaya is about 13 lbs and 13 weeks old, so a bit bigger than the picture on her website. She is also all up to date on her shots (so she only needs one more round of boosters and a rabies shot this year). If you live in Metro-Detroit you may recognize the name of the rescue because they were some of the leaders in the Save Ace campaign.

Anything you can do to help me find this little girl a home would mean the world to me under these circumstances.

Also, not sure how to upload a photo? I'd love to show off the last one of me and Lucy so you can all see what a loving baby she was.

If you made it to the end, thank you for reading this. I guess my Gnex puppy photo comparisons will be a little different now.

Elle,
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I don't live in Michigan, but I do have friends and work contacts in Michigan, so I'll check if anyone is looking for a puppy.

Upvote 0
Well I called my Verizon corporate store today and the rep who answered the phone confirmed that Nexus is "currently" scheduled for release on Thursday the 15th.

We'll see if VZW and Google can be friends again by then :rolleyes:

EDIT: Elle, I feel terrible for you. Nothing worse than the loss of a loved one - even a puppy - this time of year :(

I hope all goes well.

Upvote 0
I was wondering how Google Wallet would be taken off the phones that were already shipped with them. Are the few that get the first batch the lucky ones who would be able to tamper with Google Wallet while the rest don't?
No phones ship with Wallet, period. Only one phone supports Wallet... the Sprint Nexus S. There is nothing to take off. Even if you tried to side load it, it wouldn't work.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I would lovee to hear your advice on this (it could potentially save me and countless others some hard-earned cash come the 15th).

We all know the $100 off and $50 off any smartphone/android phone mailers exist, but many of us did not receive them. Some said they will be printing them out, taking them to their Verizon store, and attempting to make them honor it.

What is a good plan of action for making this happen? Should I call the national sales line right now and say, "hey my friends got this coupon mailer - my contract is expired, why don't you give me one?". Should I do the same but with my local store? Should I just show up with the printout on the 15th?

I don't consider myself the best negotiator in these circumstances :eek: so any opinions would be appreciated

Okay I successfully got the discount added to my account and posted the info yesterday, here is a link to the post

http://androidforums.com/3621974-post76006.html

If you are interested in the actual email I sent to Verizon to get the discount it was short and simple

Message Body: Hello,
I am currently using the Motorola Droid and am looking into moving on to a
4G phone within the next week. I just heard that Verizon is sending out
coupons that take $100 of the purchase of any 4G phone and was wondering
how I would go about getting one of those coupons on my account. 4G is
just rolling out in my area and I am looking forward to being able to make
use of those speeds and locking in my contract for another two years.

Thank you,

No negotiating or anything, they just added it to my account, although when I went to a premium reseller yesterday they could not see anything listed, but then again it was the same day as it was put on the account.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones