• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked a few of them what exactly the email said, and they were kind enough to actually read off the email. Of the 3 guys who I convinced to read their communication email, all 3 read the exact same thing to me.

So, it would seem (like the 9th), the 15th is pretty much a lock.... if it isn't delayed sometime this week, that is.

so, did it plainly say "available for sale on the 15th" ?

thx ...

Upvote 0
Finally caught up. You guys and girls aren't the talkative bunch you have been.

So I bricked my phone this weekend, 3 different times and had to Odin back to stock then root again. :rolleyes: Finally have ICS installed on my Fascinate.

It is nice and very smooth. It is going to take time getting used to not using a back button though.

Where did you get the rom from? my wife has the same phone.

I think I found it, rootzwiki?

Upvote 0
Gotcha so I'll be able to recieve the OTA but it will likely cause an unroot, correct? And if thats the case I just wait for the devs for a few days to come out with the new update? Can you root without having a custom ROM? I like keeping everything look stock and a lot of the ROMs change so much crap around.

I'm sure this will be ninja'ed to death, but --

It depends. For most phones, yes, as their root is obtained via an exploit in some fashion. Currently, the Nexus root is through an insecure boot image. People have commented though, that the recent OTA to fix the volume bug issue caused them to lose root.

Yes - you can root without using a ROM. But there are certain ROMs out there (Modaco for example) that offer the stock look and feel but offer deodex. Most are developed for performance/battery increase.

Reactions: nyg010
Upvote 0
It wouldn't make sense to launch this phone after Christmas either because it's already going to outdated the day we pick it up.

I'm as impatient as the next guy for this phone, but statements like this calling it outdated don't make sense to me.

If it were released on the 11/17 rumored date, even releasing 12/31 it's only like 6 weeks later. How is the nexus outdated? No other phone will have ICS anytime soon afaik and the specs of the nexus are fairly strong, so until we see phones in late Q1/early Q2, I don't think it will be outdated.

Upvote 0
FWIW ~~ I've called several VZW's this morning, and they have all said it will be the 15th, and this is based on email info directly from VZW.

I asked a few of them what exactly the email said, and they were kind enough to actually read off the email. Of the 3 guys who I convinced to read their communication email, all 3 read the exact same thing to me.

So, it would seem (like the 9th), the 15th is pretty much a lock.... if it isn't delayed sometime this week, that is.

Do you remember the details of the email?

Was it just "Verizon resellers can sell the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung on December 15th, 2011?"

Edit: Ninja'd - thanks. That's good news. I will call some more stores at lunch and I will just ask if its released on the 15th instead of asking for a release date.

Upvote 0
OT:
Haha yeah, not guna lie though I sometimes feel like I'm watching a 1990's
"90210" style show. And the acting is sometimes really aggressive, but like you said it will soon get a lot better. :)
Off Topic:

I told you. It is a great show. If we go more than a week without an episode we start watching the latest season over again.

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0
Finally caught up. You guys and girls aren't the talkative bunch you have been.

So I bricked my phone this weekend, 3 different times and had to Odin back to stock then root again. :rolleyes: Finally have ICS installed on my Fascinate.

It is nice and very smooth. It is going to take time getting used to not using a back button though.

I think we feel tired and beaten down by the seemingly endless cycle of its only two weeks from release tease..

Upvote 0
FWIW ~~ I've called several VZW's this morning, and they have all said it will be the 15th, and this is based on email info directly from VZW.

If you can recall how was the email worded?

Edit ninjas everywhere

Upvote 0
I'm as impatient as the next guy for this phone, but statements like this calling it outdated don't make sense to me.

If it were released on the 11/17 rumored date, even releasing 12/31 it's only like 6 weeks later. How is the nexus outdated? No other phone will have ICS anytime soon afaik and the specs of the nexus are fairly strong, so until we see phones in late Q1/early Q2, I don't think it will be outdated.

Because 6 weeks is like 6 years in phone years.

Upvote 0
OT - TV Tuner
I'm confused. I've had USB tuners and PCI/PCI Express tuner cards for computers, but I've never heard of a tuner that would essentially turn a monitor into a TV without the processing power of a computer - who makes them? Very intriguing.

OT

I thought he was talking about a Digital Cable tuner that allows for both a coaxial output as well as a RCA output. On the HD ones, they also have HDMI, DVI, S-video and so on.

Upvote 0
Lol welcome to the world of android..phones get outdated before they even hit the shelves ;)

Upvote 0
So, if it's the 15th, I've got something at work from 9-10:30 that I can't get out of and will have to head to the store right after. I'm having a hard time judging how in demand this device will be. I could send my wife to be there are store opening, but I'd rather not.
The only launch day I have experience with is the OG Droid and I walked in at 5PM and they had plenty, so not sure where this falls.

Upvote 0
If you can recall how was the email worded?

They said it was originally scheduled for the 9th and had to delay the "official launch to Dec. 15th", and to begin selling units at all locations upon opening Thursday morning.

Like I said, FWIW... could be guys jerking me around, but they seemed pretty condident, as if it were common knowledge.

Reactions: SamMax
Upvote 0
Depends on two things - the tuner and cable company. First off, the tuner must be able to decode QAM and second, the cable company must send the channels in the clear. If the box can not do QAM, then it will never work and if the cable company locks down all the channels, it will never work either. Have you tied rabbit ears with the converter box?

OT Question:
I recently aquired a 37" Panasonic TV/Monitor, with no coaxial hook up. I'm trying to use it for TV, and I have bought a digital tuner, but the tuner doesn't find any channels when I hook up my cable (from the wall, in an apartment).

What do I need to correct this? RF Modulator? Will that make the tuner recognize the channels? If not, what will?

Here's how I have it now...

Cable > Ant IN (tuner) > RCA out to TV

Does it need to be Cable > RF Ant IN > TV Out to ANT In (tuner) > RCA out to TV?

Reactions: pcriz
Upvote 0

It's funny how we still haven't learned anything from this and can still say a date is "a lock" (not putting you down, just pointing out a common way of thinki we all share). I think even after hearing it is for sale I will not believe it till I pay for it. But I'm with you and the 15th does seem like the next target date.

Upvote 0

Tegra 3 phones should be coming out around March IIRC, those phones will likely be made for ICS. It's only appeal to me now is it's a Nexus phone that will get updates first.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones