• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is good enough to be a daily driver for a lot of people. There are little things here or there (camcorder) that aren't working right, but overall it is running good for me right now. I can't get Facebooke to sync with People through the native sync or via Facebook, but that is something I can live with.

I think it is also a pretty good way to see how you like ICS. I'm running into a few things here or there that I didn't expect, though I'm not sure if they are because of the ROM or actual ICS just yet.

Thanks, its my wifes phone so I wouldn't flash it unless it was close to perfect. She thinks I'm silly always flashing my phone. And always tinkering with all my pc's and gadgets.

Upvote 0
Taking this chance to repost a question I asked a couple pages back...

Anyone know if we also have an extended time frame to cancel our contract altogether?

I'm still not 100% committed to Verizon, and I'd rather stay that way unless it's with a phone I love to death.
I think you have the option to return the phone and cancel the contract when you do. Don't quote me on that though, probably best to ask someone at Verizon.

Upvote 0
OT Tebow:

Brian Urlacher Grudgingly Praises Tim Tebow - Deadspin
After the Bears blew a 10-0 lead in the final two-and-a-half minutes to fall to the almighty Tebow, Chicago LB Brian Urlacher was asked what he thought about the Denver QB: "He's a good running back, man," Urlacher told Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. "He runs the ball well." High praise.
Hahaha. :D

Upvote 0
As drop-resistant as plastic phones are, I don't know if any phone will match the durability of the OG Droid. My friend threw his at a wall (several times) until the top and bottom half were no longer connected besides the cables running between them. Still worked fine with no power/volume buttons and duct taped together for a month or so.

:eek:

Upvote 0
I just can’t bring myself to get excited about the 15th. I’ve been excited about this phone since May when the rumors of it being a Tegra 3 phone were rampant. I haven’t even looked at any other phone since then. I’ve been over-the-moon excited for this phone for almost 7 months and after the last month of dates that have come and gone I’m just meh on the whole situation. I haven’t seen the phone yet, and maybe that would help reinvigorate my enthusiasm. I just don’t want to have to endure another Thursday with my droid. All this silence wears on a girl.

Upvote 0
A tid-bit,

• I called Verizon and confirmed (in my area = N. GA) the taxed amount is on the sale price, not the full retail.
  • My local Corp Store has no interest in taking my number or holding one.
  • I have called every possible resource about a 3G to 4G $100.00 discount and my BS call still stands. I hate it though.
  • I'll be on the side walk outside the V store @ 8:30 AM Thursday with a StarBucks Quad-Shot Grande Latte in hand unless Jody or a subpoena arrives and has me occupied.

You are the PI,Go to Verizon ask the manager if he has any naked pics of his wife.When he says no tell him he can have your pics of his wife if he sells you a G Nex.

Upvote 0
Taking this chance to repost a question I asked a couple pages back...

Anyone know if we also have an extended time frame to cancel our contract altogether?

I'm still not 100% committed to Verizon, and I'd rather stay that way unless it's with a phone I love to death.

I would check with 611 to be sure. I believe the 14 day contract still applies though. It's simply an extension of the device return/exchange.

Upvote 0
Perhaps Verizon really cracked down on their employees after the failed 12/9 pseudo-launch... before, the confidentiality agreement wasn't enforced as strictly as it is now, possibly.

I think they cracked down on everyone selling it.

Stopped by the Kiosk in Costco this weekend and saw a young lady that I had talked to last week, she was out of the little hut in the aisle. I said, "Where's my phone! she laughed because she remembered me talking to her before. She is waiting for the phone too.

She said, "We don't have it yet." With a grin on her face that told me she was lying - and wanted me to know it. I said, You have it, you just won't sell it to me." joking w/ her. All of a sudden the troll in the kiosk that was working on a register shouts at me, "We don't have it sir, we can't sell it. It was pushed back from the 9th!"

We both looked at her for a second then I asked the nice one if they had a mock phone. She dug around for it for a few minutes - evidently it was in a secret location. It had big plastic security thing on the back so it was hard to get a feel for what the real one will be like. My boys were loving the size of the screen. I gave it back to her and she said, "Will I see you on the 15th? I looked over her shoulder at the unfriendly troll and said,"You don't even have the phone in yet." She just smiled and said, "See you then."

Upvote 0
Take this FWIW because it seems like some CSRs are totally clueless, but:

So I ask again, for those who did get the $100 discount applied to your account, can you explain exactly how you went about doing so? Would be massively helpful :D

The woman that called me today said there was a promotion that only applied to business accounts for the extra $100 for a smartphone and it only applied to going from a dumbphone to a smartphone, not 3g to 4g.

I call shenanigans on that.

Upvote 0
Morning, ladies and gents! I was out running errands about 30 minutes ago and decided to go into my local Best Buy. I walked in and there was a huge "Nexus" display, but as I got closer realized it was for the S :( I spotted a sales guy and this is how the conversation went. . .

Me: Hi, do you have the Galaxy Nexus?
Guy: Yes, we do, but only the Sprint version!
Me: Oh, you mean you have the Nexus S, but not the Galaxy Nexus?
Guy: Umm, no, sir, as I said, we have the Sprint Galaxy Nexus (looking at me like I was a fool)
Me: Right, anyways, have you heard anything about when you'll have the Verizon version?
Guy: From what I've been told we'll have them on Thursday, but again, we have the Sprint version already

I looked at him the same way he looked at me, like he was a fool, thanked him and walked out.

Just goes to show how incompetent most of these Best Buy sales people really are. Unless, he was so tired of answering questions about it that he completely played dumb. Unlikely, but a possibility, I guess

I got an equally informed opinion at our local Best Buy. When I asked about the Nexus, the sales guy told me the "Prime" (emphasizing that I had the wrong name) might be out soon, but it could really be anytime in the next six months, in fact probably around the same time as the iPhone 5.

Upvote 0
Hurricane Nexus projected to hit shore on the 15th.

XSTuI.jpg

If this satellite shot isn't proof enough then I don't know what to tell you guys.

Upvote 0
OMG, I DROPPED IT!

Missed my breast pocket and watched in horror as it tumbled almost 5 feet and bounced on the concrete.

No damage. Just a little impression on the corner that hit first.

...so, there ya go. Plastic has its place.

When I bought my first ever cell phone I dropped it out of a second story window the same day I bought it (alcohol was involved, don't ask). Since then I have not dropped a phone even once. I have still always had a desire to have a case on my phones. However I really want the desktop/car docks for the Nexus, so I may end up not using the TPU case that I already have sitting on my desk.

Upvote 0
Bigtime! I can't afford PS. Gimp for me.

Try Photoshop Elements....GREAT graphics program, which will do (probably) 99% of what most people would ever do on the full version of PS. Cost is very reasonable, especially if you catch it on sale somewhere, or buy 1 version back (since there are usually very few changes to new versions.)

I do a fair amount of photography, and PS Elements will even let me work in all my RAW files as well.

Reactions: ryancmatchett
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just picked up my Asus Transformer tablet (not the Prime) from Best Buy. That will give me something to play around with this week in between studying for finals.

I'm starting to think the 15th is the cut off day for me. The Nexus is nice but it doesn't blow me away. The video and pic quality look pretty bad and after suffering through the crap quality of that on my DX I don't know if I want to do that again. Might just get a Rezound.

I still have two lines eligible for upgrade next year so I don't have to live with the Rezound forever. I can just get the best phone next fall.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones