• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite disappointed with google music's need to reach the cloud - how much bandwidth will it take to use your phone as an mp3 player at three to five MB per four minute song? Unless I'm wrong, that could end up equaling a significant chunk of your monthly data. I'll be transferring all my music through usb plug and using the best music player out there by features

I'll prolly get ninja'd on this but through google music you can choose "make available offline".

Reactions: RazorSharp
Upvote 0
Thanks Han for the relay. Well, this is relatively the same time last week that all the reps started calling and setting up appts. etc. And it sounds like its happening again. A good sign. Lets just see if we can get through tomorrow morning without the bottom falling out, if we are still going strong by lunch tomorrow, I will start to get my hopes up.

Well now you jinxed it; tonight or tomorrow morning someone will come with a reliable source and say "sorry guys, the 15th was nixed and the Nexus is now on hold indefinitely"... ;)

I just had a flashback to about a month ago when we were all anticipating the release. There were those "crazies" who were saying 12/8 and we all shot them down as being totally incorrect. Look who's laughing now :(

Upvote 0
I'm afraid to start the countdown again. Every time I count down, Verizon delays the Nexus. So NO MORE COUNTDOWNS! :)

OT:

Ah, the litigious society we live in! I just got a candy cane sucker with a warning label on it! No joke! It says "Caution! Sharp Edges! Hard candy may contain sharp edges cause injury. Please enjoy carefully."

No doubt somebody out there is just waiting to cut their lip or tongue on hard candy so they can file a lawsuit. Just amazing :rolleyes:

Okay, back to Nexus!

I liked this
Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver - Personal | Personal | Visa USA

Examples of excluded expensive or exotic automobiles are the Aston Martin, Bentley, Bricklin, Daimler, DeLorean, Excalibur, Ferrari, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Porsche, and Rolls Royce. However, selected models of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Cadillac, and Lincoln are covered.

this means someone once rented a Bricklin with a visa card and crashed it.

Upvote 0
So, the moment of truth looks more and more likely to be Thursday. "Excellent!", to quote Mr. Burns in his sinister sneer. Now I just have to hope my local BJs or VZW corporate store actually gets it. The only way for me to gain more purchase options than that (Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc) would be to first return my Nov-15th-purchased Rezound and briefly go back to my Droid 2. "We won't go back!!", to quote a certain starship captain...

I'd have to at least have played with a demo unit first in order to make a decision in advance, but noone conveniently close to me seems to have any out and about to handle, so I'm unlikely to be able to test drive one until it's publicly available. I have to look upon the Nexus' screen "with my own eyes", ala Vader. If I decided to keep my Rezound in the end, then going back to a D2 just to repurchase a Rezound will have been a complete waste of time and effort. Plus I have one last $50 "New Every Two" to apply if I purchase from corporate, which other vendors won't use. If Radio Shack or another local brick & mortar shop had it for $199, for example, then it'd be worth my time. Watching the Giants game on NFL Mobile last night really showed off how beautiful the Rezound's screen is, so the temptation to remain with it is great. But, as a man of science, I must make a solid comparison weighing any pros and cons first. (With that, let me thank all who've shared any GNex info and impressions as they've popped up. That information has been most valuable in my research).

Upvote 0
Guys, what is your final verdict on the camera? This is my only remaining question. I had always been satisfied by my 8 MP Sony camera that recently kicked the bucket, I'm nervous about "downgrading" to 5 MP (if I choose to only use the SGN camera) (and yes, I know pixels aren't everything, but I'm not sure what else there is to measure picture quality).

Would you humor me and answer a question?

If you were going to Europe for six months, would you be satisfied using the SGN's camera for all your touristy make-memories-in-pictures-to-last-a-lifetime needs? Or would you supplement your SGN with a dedicated camera with more pixels, or better photographic ability as measured by some other metric (despite the drawback of having to carry multiple devices in foreign countries)?

Again - thank you to everyone who has helped talk me through this decision

If I was going to Europe for six months I would want a DSLR. Even an entry level one will blow away a phone camera.

Upvote 0
Well now you jinxed it; tonight or tomorrow morning someone will come with a reliable source and say "sorry guys, the 15th was nixed and the Nexus is now on hold indefinitely"... ;)

I just had a flashback to about a month ago when we were all anticipating the release. There were those "crazies" who were saying 12/8 and we all shot them down as being totally incorrect. Look who's laughing now :(

Us, cause they were still wrong ;)

But seriously, CAN I HAZ NEXUS NOW?

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
Take this FWIW because it seems like some CSRs are totally clueless, but:

So I ask again, for those who did get the $100 discount applied to your account, can you explain exactly how you went about doing so? Would be massively helpful :D

Since you didn't get the mailer, any attempt to acquire the discount would require lying. You have made it very plain here that you are against the VZW policies around the information blackout on the Nexus, so we can not be a party to any prevarication used to fraudulently gain the discount that you are not entitled to.

Sorry.

I got the discount, and if you want more details check out my previous posts, but it did not involve any lying or fraud. Basically I sent an email saying I heard about a coupon that was being mailed out for $100 off 4G phone when upgrading from a 3G, that I was planning on upgrading my Droid within the next week or so and that 4G was just starting to roll out in my area, and asked how I could go about getting the coupon.

Reactions: bdub and jamor
Upvote 0
Haha, not a fan? There's a Ruth's Chris around the corner from my office here in Boston; I've never been, but I've heard good things about it. Have you had bad experiences there?

I would highly recommend going. I can't remember you saying if there is a significant other but if there is find a special reason to go. Unless you're a vegetarian, then it's pointless.

That's the issue haha. They actually gave me one when I got my refurbed Inc. Needless to say, it last about 15 minutes before I threw it away, made the phone unusable on the charger.

I'm glad to finally know what was causing it. Thanks!

Reactions: RazorSharp
Upvote 0
*611, pressed 0 immediately. Reason for call: Upgrade.

I said I'm calling about the midwest region (key!!) promotional discount on a 3G to 4G upgrade of $100. I was wondering if this can be applied to my account. She put me on mute for a minute as she looked up the promotion. She then found it and notated my account that I was approved for it (only can be applied at purchase). I inquired how the store rep would see the discount and she said the store sales person would have to check the notes on the account since they have access to the same system/notes she was composing.

I did the above yesterday, and redid it again today to verify it was noted. Worked first time both calls.

P.S. It apparently expires on 12/31.

Thank you so much. I owe you big time.

I'm in midwest and my upgrade is Dec 29th.

$100 in the pocket.

:D

Reactions: scottg96
Upvote 0
I'm just reporting...I called 7 corporate stores just now, they all said there was no date yet.

Most of them sounded incompetent, tomorrow all 7 could say sure it's launching Thursday.

Probably just dealing with some unknowledgeable employees like I always do :/

We've heard of enough other substantiated sources that Thursday is the day, but since it hasn't been told by Verizon to employees yet, the only employees who know are the ones who follow the rumor mill just like us (probably).

Upvote 0
Reply for my $100 3g to 4g discount inquiry

Dear firecracker,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless via our website, my name is Ashley. I apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry, and I will be happy to assist you with information regarding your upgrade.

We do offer a promotion to receive $100.00 off the price of a 4G device when upgrading from a 3G device; however, certain restrictions do apply. This promotion is available to certain customers who meet the qualifications in select regions. At this time, your account does not qualify for this promotion. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Although, your account does not qualify for this particular promotion, you are eligible to upgrade to a new device and receive up to $30.00 off the price of the device. To view your promotional pricing and to process your order, please sign on to My Verizon using your Account Owner Number and click on the "Upgrade to a New Phone" link located under “Quick Links” on the right side of the page. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service Department at 800-922-0204 or by dialing *611 from your handset airtime free.

I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. I hope I have done that for you today by providing you with information regarding the promotion.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Ashley
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

Upvote 0
Quick question for my fellow Nexicans (sorry, I stole that title... be flattered, not mad),

Should I make an appointment at Verizon for Thursday? I saw in another post someone who had a friend at the VZW store made him an appt. for 9AM. Is this what time of day we are assuming it will be available? I mean I don't want to make an appt. for 9AM if the official launch isn't until noon.

And before someone says, I know no one knows for sure. As a newbie, I'm looking more for people who have been through this time and time again with other phones. So other than the one that launched on the ceremonial 11:11am, what has the common trend been? And is an appt. necessary, or would a walk-in suffice?

Thanks in advance!!!!
-AJ

Upvote 0
I'm just reporting...I called 7 corporate stores just now, they all said there was no date yet.

Most of them sounded incompetent, tomorrow all 7 could say sure it's launching Thursday.

the store that you bought it from and then got contacted to return it to should default sell you their first unit as you likely saved many rear ends from losing their jobs... just sayin'

Reactions: jkc120
Upvote 0
I got the discount, and if you want more details check out my previous posts, but it did not involve any lying or fraud. Basically I sent an email saying I heard about a coupon that was being mailed out for $100 off 4G phone when upgrading from a 3G, that I was planning on upgrading my Droid within the next week or so and that 4G was just starting to roll out in my area, and asked how I could go about getting the coupon.

And thanks to you too! :D

Upvote 0

Haha, if it is anything like mine, I called at 4pm, was told there was no info, called at 7:30, got an appt.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones