1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General ***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steven58, Aug 23, 2011.

1. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Yeah, no problems from you, other than being the messenger. Its just frustrating, as it looks like for the second week in a row, we get to two days before launch to find out it is once again delayed.

Advertisement

2. xGalaxyNexusx

xGalaxyNexusx Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I bleed black & gold!

I haven't really made any effort to get an appointment or holds yet. I am staying in Cranberry Township for a little while (I'm from the Greentree area), so I'm hoping their store is kind to me when I decide to call. I was hoping to wait for some sort of announcement before I actually made the call. If all else failed, I was planning on showing up at 8:30 and waiting outside for them to open. If for some reason they turn me away, there's at least 8 other Verizons and just as many Best Buys and RadioShacks that I could try out of desperation.

What about you? I was thinking about calling the one at South Hills Village, as my father lives close to there. I figure that one to be pretty busy though and feel like I'd have better luck in Cranberry.

3. AntimonyER

None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I think that is more a function of VZW cracking down on the leaks. They completely walled off the phone after they missed the 9th (probably because of so much bad press).

4. garbageduck

garbageduck Well-Known Member
    None

it's fairly early on tuesday morning, I don't get how they wouldn't have enough time to have the update ready to dl by thursday morning. I'd like to assume they have 1000's of people working on this, as Google just wants this fail of a launch to be over with as well...

#VZWNEXUSFAIL

5. xGalaxyNexusx

None

Dec 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow, yet another guy from the burgh. I love how well represented we are in here. Yeah, I think I'm sticking with Cranberry and hoping for the best. I have the business card of the guy who sold me my Galaxy Tab 10.1 a month or so ago, so I might try getting in touch with him before the release.

6. Hilbe

Hilbe Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    I'm calling telesales in 15 minutes to try to order again. We'll see what today brings.

BabyBlues likes this.
  7. Major54

Major54 Newbie
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Retired
    Panama City, Florida
    To be frank, if Verizon had a valet service deliver it to my door on Thursday morning at 9am sharp, they have still created trust issues I'll be hard pressed to shake in this life time.

The glass half empty side of me says it isn't good when Verizon/Best Buy are pressing lucky early buyers to return the phones or the employees selling them would be canned (Source: PCworld).

That can't be good any way you stack it. Through employee fault or not, to basically use extortion tactics to get someone to return a unit that is supposed to go live in a few days? Come on. They are either more petty than even I thought or even the they aren't 100% sure of their own target date(s).

jaydotelloh likes this.
  8. cwazpitt3

cwazpitt3 Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Software Consultant
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good luck...I struck out already about an hour ago.

9. kk4df

kk4df Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Engineer
    Georgia
    Is it possible that there's some fix in the OTA that will prevent the 4G LTE overload/outage/whatever that Verizon experienced last week? Just a thought. I can't imagine why else they would insist on the OTA being completed upon activation.

Edit: or they do something to try and prevent us from getting root. surely not... wouldn't work anyway.

10. pcriz

pcriz Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    Training Developer / Instructor
    Southern AZ
    I doubt that was an issue with the phone. The 4G network has died at least 2 times before.

11. Mooem

Mooem Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    I imagine they insist on it being ready so you have a quality product on your hands the moment you walk out the door. Lessens support calls and potential returns because a customers finds the product "defective" an hour after they buy it.

kk4df likes this.
  12. Hilbe

Hilbe Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    You must have done *611. I'm calling telesales, their hours are 8am to 11pm ET.

13. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California
    I sure hope it's not to REMOVE a feature they don't want us to have access to -- i.e. NFC/Google Wallet.

BUT this means the hardware is good to go so even if they were dinking with our access, it would just be a speedbump.

I'm still planing to order mine online; not sure what to expect as far as installed updates vs. OTA upon receipt.

14. nyg010

nyg010 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    North Jersey
    Morning kiddos

15. Major54

Major54 Newbie
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Retired
    Panama City, Florida
    As disliked as P3Droid is, he has posted screenshots of the 4.1 updated system information from the Nexus. It does show a different version of the LTE radio baseband software so I would have to think (guessing out my butt) that anything to update the radio would be the most logical.

I mean, realistically, what does VZW have going for them besides the "network". That is their only real claim to fame and everytime it goes down or doesn't work properly, that only claim receives a sharp right jab to the ribs.

16. xGalaxyNexusx

None

Dec 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That'd be a fair assessment if they hadn't have released so many other phones with known issues. But maybe this one is different since it's such a highly anticipated release. Was it ever this big of a deal when GingerBread first came out? or Froyo?

speede541 likes this.
  17. litobirdy

litobirdy Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 5, 2011
    So, press release today? hmm i hope so. Sorry steven but even with your updated info, I still dont 100% believe it until I see it or Verizon announces it.

rove75 likes this.
  18. GreatGoo

GreatGoo Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2010
    Very good point. I think there is a 25% chance the phone is released this week.

19. AntimonyER

None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Yeah, but we have a resident early buyer who hasn't yet found anything worthy of the delay... Some weak reception, but if the OTA is scheduled to release later that day, I don't see the problem.

Pretty clear that Verizon is on a 48 hour cycle right now, so last night/this morning it was pushed to Friday, tonight/tomorrow morning it will be pushed to next week. I have zero confidence in any date, it will just happen, one day its available, and we probably won't be expecting it.

ryancmatchett likes this.
  20. meek_reese

meek_reese Member
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Well with the father of Android hacking, Cyanogen, being from Pittsburgh, I think we might be one of the best represented city when it comes to the OS.

I was at the Verizon in Ross park mall the other day, and they asked me when the phone was coming out. This whole release is a disaster.

xGalaxyNexusx likes this.
  21. Laxstar785

Laxstar785 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer
    Rhode Island
    lol and the negative vibes for thursday are starting to come out it looks like? Last night before I went to bed it was all pointing to thursday lol

22. ncravey

ncravey Newbie
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Well good morning all I finally had my first nexi dream last night so it has to be close.....

23. Hilbe

Hilbe Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    I called telesales, got denied. The dude didn't even TRY to order it. I'm going to try once more for safe measure.

24. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California
    On the flip side, it seems to me that Verizon is *trying* to get this product launch. Despite their efforts to keep everything hush, word is out, and Yes, they're doing a poor job of dealing with that. They're trying hard not to break any public promises, though.

I'd sure love to know what these issues are, however. I'm not one of these "they haven't announced anything so it's not delayed" types -- the reality of this launch is it's delayed, and at this point I'm reasonably confident it's not some misguided marketing maneuver.

The "threats to fire" have got to be coming from the local stores that sold them. Somebody in those stores has to be in hot water for not getting the word out, or not securing the inventory (remember the memo about "lock 'em up, don't enter into inventory, and post a note that says 'do not sell!'?). Probably just a manager or even a panicked employee taking whatever measure necessary to save face and get the inventory back on the shelf.

Thursday, Friday, whatever -- I'm still in. Hope they get it right!

25. MacroPlanet

MacroPlanet Newbie
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    Graphic Designer
    St. Louis
    After the whole 9th situation I just gave up on rumors. And if this phone is not out by this year I give up waiting for it and just pick up something else, this whole roller coaster ride is growing old fast.

I do not get what the whole problem is with releasing this phone. You would think since all the stores have it in their inventory that they would just release it already.

Tags: