• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how it always starts...
fify

Ya, instead of Groundhog day it's Groundhog week.. First we start strong on Monday with "it's going to be Thursday"... by the end of Monday or Tuesday "I'm also hearing Friday"... now someone hears the 20th...
wonder what today will bring...

Keep Calm and Carry On

Phish are friends not food..

Upvote 0
I was exhausted last night and wen to bed pretty early (for me). The last I heard was Thursday and now I'm reading stuff about that not being true. Can anyone share what caused that? Thanks!

Phandroid article mentions the 20th from reader tips I believe (and they apparently heard it from Verizon employees...i.e. I believe CSRs). Major54 mentioned that his store manager friend heard that it was actually going to push to Friday since the OTA may not be ready in time for Thursday, but a soft launch could still happen. No one is putting faith in any source because of Verizon's last minute delays.

Reactions: atrain311
Upvote 0
Is it possible that there's some fix in the OTA that will prevent the 4G LTE overload/outage/whatever that Verizon experienced last week? Just a thought. I can't imagine why else they would insist on the OTA being completed upon activation.

Edit: or they do something to try and prevent us from getting root. surely not... wouldn't work anyway.

it didn't cause them to delay their 4g xyboard release so I call shenanigans on the 4g outage being the problem.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to question our "source" - I agree that this launch has been totally screwed by Verizon, I absolutely believe the 9th was suppose to happen.. but..

How well verified is our "source" - did Steven say how he verified this person? I mean.. anyone can say "hey yeah I work for vz corporate this is the down low.."

I'm just wonderin'

Steven has vouched for him, as such his credentials are beyond reproach.

Upvote 0
Could it be the manager doesn't want a flood of appointments on one day so he is spreading some out to Friday? Just thinking...

If the manager is willing to text Major at 9:30pm, and take a call before 8am, I would like to think he wouldn't push HIS date. Some friend if so ;)

Reactions: vikingking50
Upvote 0
I just called and talked to a rep about the 3g to 4g $100 promo and she found it after I mentioned doorways. She said something about Chicago and put me on hold for 5 minutes, and then came back asking me if I'd like her to call me on Thursday to order the GNex (I just told her earlier I wanted the Galaxy Nexus, she offered up Thursday all on her own), and I told her thank you but I'd rather get it from the store. She said that's fine. I asked her if the discount is on my account and she said yes, I would receive a $100 credit once a 4G phone was activated. Is this what other people were told as well? Does that mean I still have to pay $299 up front, and then I'll get a $100 credit on my bill? I'd rather have the $100 up front, obviously. I live in New York fyi.

Upvote 0
Its kinda sad, in early November, The Source's info was treated like gold, and those who dared question it were gone after pretty hard. Now, because of Verizon's incompetance and total failure of even internal communication, even The Source's info has to be taken with a grain of salt, because it could change that quickly. I can't imagine how frustrating that has to be for him, as he really just wants to help us out.

Well said, Its funny but so true. I wonder how this will go foward with future phone relases maybe VZW is making a point to discredit sources.

Wait wait wait...this whole delay all stems from ONE person saying it's delayed?? Come on people. This is nuts. Multiple reps, managers, and internal sources have said Thursday and then one person says it's delayed and we all start doubting?? That's even more ludicrous than the past way of thinking when everything pointed to no release and one person said it was a go for __ date and we all believed it. I still have doubts about Thursday being the day, but I certainly wont doubt it even more because of one person.

If im not mistaken i think there was an article somewhere about it. but ive only heard of 2 ppl saying delayed further. My guy at Shack has been holding one for me and he said I could come on the 15th to pick it up last friday. Now that ive gotten $100 off upgrade I might be going to a corp store

Upvote 0
This is how it all started last week before the 9th. Earlier in the week strong evidence towards an actual launch, but nothing official oddly. Then later in the week, suspicion that launch might not happen. Then launch gets delayed.

We're in this same loop this week, so I now HIGHLY doubt it's coming out this week. If I never got a hold of the dummy model, I would just drop out now. Seriously.

Upvote 0
This is how it all started last week before the 9th. Earlier in the week strong evidence towards an actual launch, but nothing official oddly. Then later in the week, suspicion that launch might not happen. Then launch gets delayed.

We're in this same loop this week, so I now HIGHLY doubt it's coming out this week. If I never got a hold of the dummy model, I would just drop out now. Seriously.

I was doubting waiting after the 9th happened. I went into a non corp store late and the guy put one in my hand and turned it on. Amazing!!!

But im starting to get frustrated.

Upvote 0

Good grief, you're right, it is a loop!!!

Code:
Line 1: [URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000195/"]Phil Connors[/URL]: Excuse me, where is everybody going? 
Line 2: [URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0642033/"]Fan on Street[/URL]: To Gobbler's Knob. It's Groundhog Day. 
Line 3: [URL="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000195/"]Phil Connors[/URL]: It's still just once a year, isn't it?
Line 4: Goto Line 1

-me

Upvote 0
Hahahahaha, here we go again!!!! I knew it!!! Are you ready for the inevitable "delayed until the 22nd" news?

No, because we won't get that news until next tuesday morning :rolleyes:... Verizon has cut down the delay from a two week cycle, to a one week cycle, to now a 24 hour cycle...

Reactions: drbugsmn
Upvote 0
What the hell is happening now?

The 15th is not looking good?

What a total screw up. I wish I could be president of the world for one day.

Everyone at Verizon involved in this cluster muck would be forced to become slaves of their customers for ten years and then be deported to Greenland.

Doesn't Greenland already have the Gnex... ha.

Reactions: speede541
Upvote 0
In all fairness to the doubters, it is a human reaction to be guarded at this point. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....well, we all know how it goes.

...And we are kind of approaching the fool me eleventeen mark.

I'm staying super hopeful, but cautious at the same time.

It's funny. Despite being burned by missed dates these past several weeks, I still remain cautiously optimistic it'll happen sooner than what skeptics are thinking.

I guess I like pain!

Upvote 0
Well if you read the Phandroid article about the extended battery, the writer there also got some notifications of a delay (the date he was given was the 20th). Problem is, we are just conditioned to believe the most reliable info is the one telling us it is delayed again. Its been right what, 7 out of the last 7 times (11/3,11/10,11/17,11/21,11/28,12/8,12/9)...

Oh I know. I just don't believe any rumors now. Any discussion of a date I just try to brush off. I do think just because of my own logic that it will be released this week. However, I thought the same in early November. I didn't put much faith it it being released late November or the 9th. I really hoped it would, but didn't believe it. With the phone being IN the stores, I know, I personally held the very one Radio Shack is going to sell me...they only got one in...I just don't see a reason they would allow a whole bunch of phones to sit in the stock room taking up space and not sell them the week before Christmas.

I don't buy this not releasing till January either because releasing right before Christmas is close enough to the new year that people will flock to the stores once the buzz gets out beyond our little niche and they'll see good sales through January on this phone anyway.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones