1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General ***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steven58, Aug 23, 2011.

1. johnnybirdman

johnnybirdman Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Law
    Erie, PA
    Rumor/reason for latest delay???... CSR's giving away too many $100 credits.. they expire 12/31.

Advertisement

soy.lor.n and rooktdphi like this.
  2. woodraskam

woodraskam Android Expert
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    I'm still not 100% onboard like I was last week before Verizon axed it. Until I see evidence similar to the equipment guide, I leave a good chunk of doubt on the Thursday release.

3. RazorSharp

RazorSharp Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Male
    Boston, MA
    Rybnik, BobF and AntimonyER like this.
  4. VTHockey11

VTHockey11 Member
    None

Dec 9, 2011
    Advertising Manager
    Washington, DC
    I think the reason for a lack of physical evidence is because Verizon legitimately screwed up last week. They thought the 9th was good to go, alerted employees, put the date in the guide etc. and then discovered some issue (whatever it was). I think the reason we aren't seeing anything is because Verizon is making sure the lid is sealed tight this week. No date in the guide, nothing until they're 100% certain, and probably within a few hours of the release date.

Not saying I'm 100% set on the 15th, but I think that Verizon wants to avoid last weeks situation where major news outlets picked up on the 9th and then it didn't come through. They're trying to keep this lid as tight as possible in case something else comes along and screws this up again.

coach26 likes this.
  5. Keyan

Keyan Member
    None

Nov 28, 2010
    NNJ
    My day at work:

Do a brake job. Check this thread. Do an oil change. Check this thread. Sell timing belt. Check thread 300 times during the job, making it take twice as long as it usually does.

Dear Verizon,

Please have the GNex come out on Thursday, as a flat-rate mechanic, my wallet depends on it :eek:

Sincerely,

Some guy who works for Toyota.

6. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Off-Topic Potty Training

Yes for my son as well, the hot wheels was the winner. He was potty trained right at three years old. The weird thing is my daughter has extremely sensitive skin, only one brand of diapers will work, and she still gets diaper rash quickly, we thought for sure she would be quick to avoid this (she HATES when she gets one). But nope. :rolleyes:

7. pcriz

pcriz Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 14, 2011
    Training Developer / Instructor
    Southern AZ
    I say meh to "official". In the case of a skinned phone the "leaked" ICS build will probably turn out better than the official skinned ICS.

8. Mooem

Mooem Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    An OTA you say? That may be good news depending on what update it is. Too bad you didn't get a look at the version. I think someone here said that if any of the devices currently in peoples hands get an OTA then it's a good signal that a release is imminent of which I'm inclined to agree.

Hmm...interesting.

9. atrayn22

atrayn22 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2011
  10. ASC

ASC I'm Shy
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    Male
    Construction Management
    Phoenix, AZ

^^^this

Did it with my son and it worked beautifully.

Never underestimate the power of positive reinforcement :)

11. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None

• Quad core will not impact apps so much as battery life. Quads will smoke the current devices in juice consumption.
    • 2GB is more future-proof than 1GB.
    • Bloatware is easily removed if you root and freeze.
    • Great point.

For me, it was never about ICS so much as it is about a big, HD screen with no buttons. I think that's why the TP is so appealing to me.

If it doesn't drop before the TP, I won't be getting it probably. Not to "teach Verizon a lesson", because one person isn't enough to even cause a small ripple. I just know that CES is less than a month away, and I'm off contract with Verizon now, so I'll get to see what's coming down the pipeline not only for Verizon, but also for the other carriers that actually care about releasing phones in a timely manner.

If there is a monster coming out, I'd rather plunk down the ETF for my wife's line, or maybe even just get my own line somewhere else and live in a divided household.

I'm so fed up being Verizon's hostage.

tony fazul and lennydude like this.
  12. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Same from Phandroid:

Verizon’s Claims That Google Wallet Leaves Concern for Information Security May Have Legs

Rooting can expose GW info to hackers? Another reason I'm taking a rooting holiday with Nexus.

Maybe the next phone, but my Nexus will stay stock and I will remain a blissful user... not a tinkerer :)

vikingking50 and atrain311 like this.
  13. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    pcriz likes this.
  14. Androidcurious

Androidcurious Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Major news outlets didn't pick up on the phone's release. The NExus just isn't that big of a deal outside of the tech community. For a phone that's supposedly being released Thursday, we haven't seen a single official PR or heard a peep of marketing. I just don't think VZW is as intense on the issue as we are. They're a giant company with a lot of phones in the fire, the Nexus is just one more. I think no firm date has been set at any point.

Hey, I'm hoping Thursday morning I'm completely wrong because this is the phone I very much want.

tony fazul and VTHockey11 like this.
  15. hgray

hgray Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Computer Scientist
    Goose Creek, SC
    Given the speed that these developments are happening, I see dual core optimizations being skipped over by devs for quad. Memory will be more about OS and less about apps when we start talking about jumps this big. In addition if software doesn't drive the hardware requirements, it quickly finds ways to take advantage of the extra available resources.

16. JustNexus

JustNexus Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 3, 2011
    Not to hurt everyone's feelings bu man this board is an emotional rollercoaster. One manager over a zillion people reported from a guy with not many posts and claiming to have talked to the Guy very early in the morning. I am not trying to accuse anyone but lets be rational. I realize I have few posts too.

I have heard from several...target is the 15th. Even if it happens on Friday should we jump out the window? I am happy as long as its not pushed a week.

I would imagine there are a lot of different stories floating around Verizon from the corporate level to the store managers. Vzw does not want to truth out there even to there sales staff of why this is exactly occurring out of fear of telling us.

Really the decision will be made today or tomorrow. If the mass consensus changes from multiple stores and sources that's how you will know.

Rybnik and pcriz like this.
  17. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California
    Exactly. It's a reference platform. It sets the bar. It's expected others will improve upon it. It was never intended to be the pinnacle of anything -- at least, not for very long.

VTHockey11 likes this.
  18. CinLou

CinLou Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    I've been trying to order a screen protector from Steinheil's website and it appears to be down. Anyone know where else I can get one?...I wanted the ultra crystal but it looks like they don't make it for the GNex...I don't want the new flex one because it's a wet application..that leaves the oleophobic (sounds like a disease) screen protector. I've looked everywhere with no luck. Maybe more will come out once this phone is released.:thinking:

19. Ernest_T_Bass

Ernest_T_Bass Newbie
    None

Nov 27, 2009
    Server Admin
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Good morning folks. I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic here (or as a line in one game I play had said, I'm exercising aggressive caution) about a release this Thursday or Friday.

That being said, I'm also trying to develop a contingency plan in the event that it's delayed into the middle of next week. I'm in Florida, but will be traveling out of state next week. If the Nexus is released while I'm away from home, can I handle the purchase and setup of the phone through a store up there without running into issues, since my account isn't based where I would be purchasing the phone? I'd guess it wouldn't be that difficult, but I had run into a similar issue with an old AT&T account I had, and had to wait until I returned home before getting a new phone then.

As I had said before, just trying to get this phone into my grubby left paw as soon as possible. :)

20. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Well one thing that would be nice about the next nexus is that it will likely be built by moto (rather than samsung). A pure google phone with moto antennae would be nice...

21. ASC

ASC I'm Shy
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    Male
    Construction Management
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wish me luck on my last final of the semester. Geography of the US & Canada (yawn)

(I'm going to need it :eek:)

22. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred

None. A huge picture of a kid blowing raspberries at him should suffice.

TKEnzy likes this.
  23. kiter86

kiter86 Newbie
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Is anybody else jaded by Steven's statement of fact updates on the original post. Why does he say everything like it is confirmed?

eyc and Eastonl like this.
  24. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Female
    Masquerading as a responsible adult
    Jersey - born & bred

Good luck!

ASC likes this.
  25. m1scr3ant

m1scr3ant Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    Chicago suburbs
    Ok, why do we all have our knives out this morning? Are we all freaking out about 1 rumor? I've seen too much about the 15th for any other rumor to hold water yet. Calm yourselves, people.

atrayn22, devildriver6 and BabyBlues like this.
Tags: