1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General ***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steven58, Aug 23, 2011.

1. m1scr3ant

m1scr3ant Well-Known Member

I just called all 3 corporate stores near me, even the one that let me play with the phone. They have no official word yet.

Advertisement

2. DrexelDragon

DrexelDragon Android Enthusiast

What're you talking about?

edit: Nevermind, you're talking about the ones you visited :p Considering none near me can confirm or deny either I dont think it's that big of a deal :p

3. viperman2008

viperman2008 Member

Just got my TPU case for this phone. My incredible doesn't quote fill it out enough, so I am hoping for the Nexus to release by the end of the week. *cross fingers*

4. captenblack

captenblack Lurker

OT:

Wife and I enjoy it. Not the best show ever but certainly entertaining. Some of my fav shows include: The Wire, Breaking Bad, 24, Homeland, Dexter, Lost, Firefly...

5. DominoHop

DominoHop Well-Known Member

Just called my local VZW. My new best friend is hiding one under his desk for me!! Said he'll see me at 9am thursday!

I giggled when he said "man you must have some good friends, we JUST got the e-mail"

This is me saying I LOVE YOU GUYS!!

>>giddy girly squeeks<<

6. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me!

At home I have safe search off on my laptop. Scary scary some days.

7. Buckeye Boy

Buckeye Boy Android Enthusiast

1. Went into my Corporate Verizon store about 2 hours ago and I was told they have No Info on this phone and they usually find out a day or two before its released.....

2. Can I use my car charger from my Droid X with the Nexus ? Any issues doing this?:thinking:

8. Smartphone

Smartphone Well-Known Member

If the mods start double posting, we could hit 100k by Thursday!

soy.lor.n likes this.
  9. scottg96

scottg96 Android Expert

I just called the local authorized retailer. I noticed the guy's voice and he assured me that I would be the first one in my town to get a Nexus, and they would call me as soon as they get any information, but at this point he said they're scheduled to launch on the 22nd... they apparently still don't have any stock. Then I called the corporate store and the guy said they knew nothing, didn't have stock, etc.

I'm not gonna let that get me down though, because a bunch of other people have reported the 15th from their stores.

10. IgnatiusXIX

IgnatiusXIX Android Enthusiast

Yeah, we briefly discussed this yesterday. What are you hoping to see? I'm perfectly content with Voice Actions (Jeannie) by Pannous, but hoping for deep OS integration with El Goog's iteration.

11. mfecik

mfecik Well-Known Member

I tried to start doing that but wasn't able to play them back, do you need a special program for playback? Windows Media player couldn't understand the format...any thoughts/help? :thinking:

12. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY

No one is going to freaking know if you let someone hold a demo phone for a couple minutes. I can't stand managers like this.

scottg96 likes this.
  13. vespadaddy

vespadaddy Well-Known Member

Sorry--I should have stated that I was replying in a general sense, not directly to you.

Mostly, I was pointing out that one needn't purchase a copy of Hef's girlie rag to see the Lohan funbags.

14. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

Steven, do you mean to say that everyone you've called says no for Thursday?

Not a good sign!

15. Nessier

Nessier Newbie

I'll add to the growing number of experiences with store associates saying there's no date. I just called my local store, which had been very open last week regarding the December 9th date, they put me on hold, and came back and said a date hasn't been announced. I asked if they've heard the 15th being tossed around, and they said if it was coming out then they would've heard by now. Of course, this could just be due to this particular associate taking confidentiality more seriously than others, but that is still troubling to hear.

16. clearym

clearym Member

2. shouldn't be a problem, they both use micro-usb

17. VTHockey11

VTHockey11 Member

My only real point is that all signs point to them not promoting it much.

Who knows why, but they were definitely prepared to launch last week before either supply issues, a 4G fix, or Google Wallet/whatever held them up and they had almost no fanfare out.

Maybe they aren't promoting it YET because they want it to launch first, but all indications are that Verizon hasn't been interested at all in promoting this. At least the Droid 4 has its own site (I believe I saw something about DroidDoes being updated for it) while we just get a lousy sign-up page.

The only ads I've seen for it are from Google, and like I said, a lot of reps are saying Thursday (including my own) and that isn't originating from nothing.

I think they're doing a soft launch followed by promotion, but I don't think for a second that we'll have to wait until we see a week or two worth of ads before we get our hands on this. It was close enough to launch for certain lucky people to pick it up last week.

18. kastleberg

kastleberg Android Enthusiast

Not to be a downer, but if you're worried about it, why do you keep changing the title to say that (insert rumored date here) is official/it/definite?

DCRussian, tdub88, nyg010 and 4 others like this.
  19. longball10

longball10 Well-Known Member

I think many people are missing the point here about what stores are saying. They were obviously told NOT to say anything until it is ANNOUNCED! Some are following the rules and some arent. My local store's staff was very aware what they should and shouldnt say. The manager even chatted with me about the reasons why they NEVER should talk about upcoming releases.. This IS NOT new..

Penguissimo likes this.
  20. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

RazorSharp likes this.
  21. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

OTD, can you check with your Best Buy person to see if they've received word?

VTHockey11 and scottg96 like this.
  22. xGalaxyNexusx

xGalaxyNexusx Android Enthusiast

I don't think they need to advertise pre-release to accomplish everything you guys are talking about. Why not allow as many people to buy the Razr, Bionic and Rezound as possible before shoving the GNex down the publics throat? We all saw the commercial for the Bionic with the girl at her computer and then having her music instantly on her phone - I assume we'll be seeing something like this again. An absolute waterfall of ads between the 15th and the end of the year.

Again, VZW knows it's diehard supporters are on board no matter what. It's the "carrier jumpers" and "undecideds" that need convincing. Nothing says they need to be convinced before the phone is available for them to go pick up. I mean, we all could not fathom choosing a lesser phone when we know a better one is on the way, but most people aren't like that. I know if my mom got drawn in by a Nexus ad, but then went to the store only to find out it's not available yet, she'd be walking out of the store with a Razr in hand.

So, I'm thinking no news is good news. Don't read too much into the little things as they can be looked at in multiple lights. I am just as anxious as the next guy, but scaring ourselves stupid with unconfirmed conspiracy theories isn't going to make it any better! Hang in there! We are as close as ever to holding one of these puppies in our hand!

23. kklier

kklier Member

the ones I encoded for the ipad work fine on my droid x. no reason why they wouldn't work on the GN, and if I'm too lazy to do that rock player does a fine job of playing them...

24. BLD

BLD Android Enthusiast

So you live in the store? Those speeds there won't be the same right down the road or even out the front door.

akellar likes this.