1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

General ***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steven58, Aug 23, 2011.

1. photon00

photon00 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    The big question for me is can you use the screen space assigned to the buttons for other apps? Haven't seen any examples of this yet.

Advertisement

2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Hopefully with Google releasing the SDK we should know the details like that fairly soon.

3. Shocky

Shocky On Probation
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    So to sum up, an amazing screen however no micro sdcard slot and 5MP camera is disappointing.

The Galaxy S II remains the most powerful Android phone, iPhone 4S remains the phone with the most powerful graphics processor.

Pass, nice phone though.

JimmyB7 likes this.
  4. AntimonyER

None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Well good morning everyone. Last night's announcement was stellar, and I think everyone can agree that the phone was nice, ICS was nicer ;). For me personally, even if the hardware specs don't make it a beast of a phone (they are still respectable IMO), Having ICS probably months before any other phone makes this worth my purchase. Between the gimmicky stuff (Face Unlock, Android Beam, Roboto font) to the priceless stuff (Instant camera, integrated data tracking), ICS is now the new leader in phone OS.

5. HeavenlyWinds

HeavenlyWinds Lurker
    None

Oct 17, 2011
    Computer Programmer (Tools) at Ubisoft Montreal
    Montreal
    Great overall phone, not revolutionary, but a great update from Gingerbread and from the 1.0GHZ Hummingbird, and the LTE with that awesome screen sure seems nice.

6. AntimonyER

None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Microsd card slot is a disappointment, but the camera was amazing. You can't just go by MP on those things, the zero shutter lag and the low light capability make this probably the best phone camera out there. Also SGS2 may be more powerful on paper, but engadget states the GNex was faster.

7. JimmyB7

JimmyB7 Newbie
    None

Oct 7, 2011
    Retired
    Dayton, Ohio
    This phone appears to have it all. I

Ynomrah likes this.
  8. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    I get the feeling I could repeat this a hundred times and people wouldn't listen, but here goes:

The number of megapixels on your camera phone does not matter.

Please, read that again. And again.

The limiting factor in your camera phone is the physical size of the sensor and the lens. You aren't going to resolve much good detail past 5 megapixels, AND you will start contributing heavily to noise by shrinking the photosites.

The new iPhone 4S camera is great, but it is not great because it is 8 megapixels. It is great because it's a high quality sensor and a nice lens. It is great in spite of it being 8 megapixels.

I have printed poster-size with a Nikon D2h. That was a 4 megapixels camera. Those were 4 very high quality megapixels with the right glass on the camera. Having more, lower quality pixels is not the right way to approach cameras.

jroc, Duds, Outatime and 12 others like this.
  9. bldgengineer

bldgengineer Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 15, 2010
    Chester MD

I've just stopped posting about this as people WILL NOT get it in their head about this. All I do now is read how people complain about it "only" being 5mp and shake my head.

10. Don S

Don S Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 30, 2009
    Male
    Bayville, NJ USA
    This is good advice .. to a point.

Perhaps a more important way of assessing when to buy is not related to specs at all (gasp !), but to what affect the improvements in hardware 6 months down the line could possibly have in that user's actual, real world day to day use of the phone.

Just saying that there will be this new CPU chip or new GPU or screen or <whatever> 6 months from now means next to nothing to me. The decision process should be:
    -What do I use the phone for most of the time? (Answer is X, Y , Z)
    - Will those (X Y Z) apps/uses likely be affected in ANY significant REAL WORLD WAY by some slightly upgraded hardware 6 months from now? Will it be noticeable in any real world way?

I think, with where the high end hardware is right now, the answer in most cases will be no for most users. There will be edge cases that will argue that they really can perceive how much faster a dual core 1.5 chip is over a dual core 1.2 chip in application X. Well, then they should wait and wait :). For the vast majority of folks, my guess is that the difference in various hardware 6 months out, compared to hardware that is out there now may be imperceptible in many apps we use in real world use and that playing the waiting game is mostly not worth it ...

Just my 2 cents ..

11. AntimonyER

None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I agree, the comments about the camera being fail are so maddening. This camera looks amazing. If the picture quality manages to hold up to real world operation, it will be the best one out there as I said already. It has already become my #1 reason for getting this phone.

12. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    I too am stuck between getting a SGSII and waiting to see if this comes to AT&T. The one thing that is throwing my off the SGSII is the 800x480 resolution. Especially now when everything is coming out in higher res and ICS is tailored to HD res... Sad that the best phone out there has the lowest resolution out of the top end.

Either I wait for Galaxy Nexus or hopefully GSGII HD will get released here.

13. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010

14. nexusprimepls

nexusprimepls Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 14, 2011
    Field Service IT Technician
    Chattanooga, TN
    I agree completely. ICS along with this phone=masterpiece. All I need to know is where and when can I get it.

15. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    Ugh. . .can you guys please move the MP discussion to a new thread. It's so freaking maddening to go around in circles on this.

News Flash:

People who insist on higher MP's won't change their mind.

On a brighter note, I was just finally able to watch the unveiling in its entirety (well almost, I skipped over the first boring part), and I am so psyched for this phone!!!

It's a beast and a game changer, in my opinion. ICS is the centerpiece. Specs are great, not perfect, but with ICS, I don't think it matters too much.

I think it's looks great, too. I can't wait!

Also, for what it's worth, BMX isn't worrying about Verizon getting it, and he has Verizon as a carrier. He's worked for them in the past and now works for Google. If he's not worried, I'm not worried. P3Droid can try and hog the limelight all he wants.

kcs7272 and breadnatty08 like this.
  16. Laxstar785

Laxstar785 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer
    Rhode Island
    yes it does, under the home back and app drawer buttons.....it has a different look as its behind shall i say "tinted glass" but it looked pretty cool.

17. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Good Morning Gnexers! :D

I hope everyone else had Ice Cream dreams...

Sorry for the delay in stats (we're almost at 13K, told ya so) but if NKK reads this, the blow-out record from 11,000 to 12,000 posts was:

NINE HOURS!

Unbelievable! Even with half you guys in chat, we - including all 3 Han Solos I think - still held down the fort and blew away all records.

I am SO STOKED for this phone! I don't even know where to start (other than facial login and auto-panorama) so I need to watch the whole thing again to soak it all in. Let us revel in the wonder that is ICS and play the waiting game together...

18. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    UBRocked, Sharpe Man and Tytan like this.
  19. mfecik

mfecik Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 2, 2011
    This Makes me relax a little more that VZW was not mentioned

black_man_x The Panda King
    Verizon has their own plans for nexus. Being part of a hong Kong event doesn't make sense.. Details coming.. Relax big red fans..

metlcat, UBRocked, nypcdoc and 2 others like this.
  20. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None
    Feel the same way, Chief! Isn't it awesome to wait so long for a beast, and NOT be disappointed?!

21. xtop

xtop Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    drbugsmn likes this.
  22. schimm

schimm Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 1, 2010
    Sounds like a good opportunity for rooting/roming/overclocking then.

23. DannStarr

DannStarr Newbie
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Earth
    I am very exited about todays announcement, but I do feel somewhat letdown by the specs of the phone.... Mainly in the processor department, and also the battery department. Camera seems good with the zero shutter lag, however I cant wait to see the quality comparions between this and the iphone 4s.

I think the biggest update here is the OS, and when I start to imagine ICS on something like the galaxy note, its only then I think we begin to approach a perfect phone.

Does anyone here know if the galaxy nexus has gorilla glass? Is the display even glass, or is it similar awful material that was used in the nexus s?

Ill need to see the galaxy note and galaxy nexus both in my hands before I can make a decision on my next phone.

My last two phones have been nexus one, and nexus s, but against the note, im not so sure of this one

24. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None

Good catch. I'm not worried at all, though. The Samsung site seems to tease that it's going to be only on Verizon, for the time being.

[​IMG]

jmar likes this.
  25. bldgengineer

bldgengineer Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 15, 2010
    Chester MD
    The fact of the matter is ITS A CAMERA PHONE

No self respecting photographer in the world would ever use a camera phone as even a "walk around" I don't claim to be a professional photographer but I have had several landscaping and portrait pictures of mine purchased as well as do weddings, families, and baby sessions in my free time.

I'm currently using a Canon 50D with several lenses and I'm on the look out for a good used 5d MKII but I'll probably wait until the MKIII comes out to buy one. Why? because I know that SOMEBODY out there will have a 1 year old or less MKII with probably less than 5000 shots that just HAS TO HAVE a MKIII!

BTW, my walk around right now is a 24-70L. A camera phone is nice to have for quick pics. I WILL NOT be using it to take pics of my newborn that's due at the end of December

EDIT: don't worry. I am DONE with this and you will not see anymore of this come from me. BTW, has anybody seen a confirmed date yet??? I hate that its just "November"

drbugsmn and DCNATS1 like this.
Tags: