• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i buy device in store, im going to tell them i will take care of everything myself :)

Me too! (They don't particularly like it when they go to open the box and I tell them to please not do anything other than write down any phone number or email address I have to know in order to set it up at home. )

Upvote 0
Me too! (They don't particularly like it when they go to open the box and I tell them to please not do anything other than write down any phone number or email address I have to know in order to set it up at home. )

I'd much rather do it this way than have to hope that the delivery guy hasn't just left it on my stoop during the day.

But is anyone afraid of having the store employees play with it and then put it back in the box? I think I read somewhere a while back about a guy getting his Bionic and finding a picture of a Best Buy employee in it flipping off the camera.

Upvote 0
I think that one is 3GSM/LTE version for AT&T bands, not CDMA/LTE for Verizon.
AT&T folks don't need to envy Nexus as they got SGSII and getting SGSII LTE, Note in a few months.

Yeah, the craziness you witness in this forum is because of we poor neglected and abused Verizon customers, who just can't believe that an unlocked, bloatware free, updates direct from Google, decently spec'd phone like the GNex is coming this way. It blows our minds.

Reactions: callmeox
Upvote 0
AT&T folks don't need to envy Nexus as they got SGSII and getting SGSII LTE, Note in a few months.

Yeah, I'm getting a little tired of vzw treating me like a second-class citizen. I'd be tempted to move to AT&T if the coverage didn't completely suck in the Denver area. Sometimes it feels like vzw is purposely turning down the "latest and greatest" devices, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why they would want to do that. :thinking:

Upvote 0
WTF! I typed up a long post and it didn't go through because of "daily server backup". Apparently daily means 3-4 times.

Annoyed.

Quick version.

p3's post shows a "more" soft button to the right of the task switcher. The biggest thing I miss in Honeycomb is the search button. There is a built in widget in the launcher, but it doesn't help app specific search and more importantly holding the search button on my Droid X launches Voice Actions. I haven't found a way to quick launch that on my Xoom, and it would be annoying to not have that on a phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the craziness you witness in this forum is because of we poor neglected and abused Verizon customers, who just can't believe that an unlocked, bloatware free, updates direct from Google, decently spec'd phone like the GNex is coming this way. It blows our minds.

And it hasn't come yet... I'm still waiting to find out it was all a joke. OR that the VZW version of the phone is full of 16 gb of VZW apps. (un-removable of course)

:(

*rocks back and forth in the corner*

Upvote 0
I'd much rather do it this way than have to hope that the delivery guy hasn't just left it on my stoop during the day.

But is anyone afraid of having the store employees play with it and then put it back in the box? I think I read somewhere a while back about a guy getting his Bionic and finding a picture of a Best Buy employee in it flipping off the camera.

That was an epic 4g touch that that happened on. I would be mad if i bought a phone as brand new and found out it was used.

Upvote 0

as an att customer I would have to disagree we don't have any ics devices I am not sure any version of sgs2 will be coming with ics otb. If I were to wager an guess the sgs2 will be getting ics possibly in April.

Upvote 0
as an att customer I would have to disagree we don't have any ics devices I am not sure any version of sgs2 will be coming with ics otb. If I were to wager an guess the sgs2 will be getting ics possibly in April.

But if the Verizon had gotten an SGS2, you would have had to add 2013 to that.

Upvote 0
But if the Verizon had gotten an SGS2, you would have had to add 2013 to that.

you guys have rezound and razr to fall back on. Att only has sgs 2, which has an suspect gps . That is an deal breaker for me. Att has yet to announce any ics devices that is what I am worried about. I can roll with my captivate and cm 7.1 for an bit longer but I want some ics love too :-(

Upvote 0
you guys have rezound and razr to fall back on. Att only has sgs 2, which has an suspect gps . That is an deal breaker for me. Att has yet to announce any ics devices that is what I am worried about. I can roll with my captivate and cm 7.1 for an bit longer but I want some ics love too :-(

Suspect GPS???:eek: Anybody know if the same gps unit is being used in the Nexus?

Upvote 0

If you want ICS device out of box, maybe you are right. But I was saying that in terms of hardware. SGSII is still very competitive in hardware and you can try rooting easily.

Honestly if it were not for unlimited data that I'm locked in Verizon, I might switch to AT&T for better phone lineup than verizon. They work just fine where I live and I don't travel much to low population areas where their coverage is spotty.

Upvote 0

lol i beg to differ man.

as an iphone 4 user right now , i refuse to upgrade to the 4s.

The prime is the only other phone I am willing to upgrade to at this point.

Upvote 0

Yes. Which is why I make them open it in front of me - paw through it in front of me - and then hand it over. They are in no way, shape or form allowed to walk away with it.

WTF! I typed up a long post and it didn't go through because of "daily server backup". Apparently daily means 3-4 times.

Annoyed.

Quick version.

p3's post shows a "more" soft button to the right of the task switcher. The biggest thing I miss in Honeycomb is the search button. There is a built in widget in the launcher, but it doesn't help app specific search and more importantly holding the search button on my Droid X launches Voice Actions. I haven't found a way to quick launch that on my Xoom, and it would be annoying to not have that on a phone.

People use that search button??!! It's the one thing I truly with i could get rid of on my DInc. It pisses me off when I overshoot the back button and hit that.

And it hasn't come yet... I'm still waiting to find out it was all a joke. OR that the VZW version of the phone is full of 16 gb of VZW apps. (un-removable of course)

:(

*rocks back and forth in the corner*

ewbok.jpg

Upvote 0

That's a great point. For all the Verizon bashing going on (me being one of the foremost among them), you do have to admit that they're ending 2011 with some pretty cool options. We were all so pissed when the SGSII was passed on, but the SGN more than makes up for it. RAZR, locked or not, is a very cool option, and the Re-whatever-it's-called is a perfect solution for those many Sense lovers who want an HD device.

If things with the SGN don't blow up, I'll have a bit more affection for Verizon than I did a couple months ago.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Yes. Which is why I make them open it in front of me - paw through it in front of me - and then hand it over. They are in no way, shape or form allowed to walk away with it.

Right, but I think what's got me worried is that they rub their grubby paws on it before the store opens, play with it, and then put it back, lay the plastic protector-sheet back on the screen, and close the box. I think that's what happened in the Best Buy situation.

I wish the boxes came sealed like pill bottles, but they don't. Just pull a tab and it's open. :(

Upvote 0
At most you can get 2 phones no more.

Not true. My wife and I are both due an upgrade. Feasibly we could try out the GN, Vigor, 4S, and Razr. That's 4 phones, not 2. There are ways to get it done if you try.

My entire point of posting was to say that with 3 phones (4 if you include the i4S) that you can try out and return. It's not business as usual for Verizon. Business as usual would make each of these phones released at a greater interval than this. It's just surprising that it has changed.

Upvote 0

Well they also got Atrix 2 with OMAP4, non-pentile qHD LCD screen. And they will get HTC Holiday, similar to Rezound spec.

As for GPS issue in SGS2 you keep mentioning from your store experience, I'd say that one might be defective demo unit or some setting. SGS2 AT&T forum doesn't seem to be upset over GPS at all.

Upvote 0
Not true. My wife and I are both due an upgrade. Feasibly we could try out the GN, Vigor, 4S, and Razr. That's 4 phones, not 2. There are ways to get it done if you try.

My entire point of posting was to say that with 3 phones (4 if you include the i4S) that you can try out and return. It's not business as usual for Verizon. Business as usual would make each of these phones released at a greater interval than this. It's just surprising that it has changed.

That's with two upgrades though not one. I was talking about each upgrade. Verizon also never had this many high end phones before though to so that may have something to do with it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones