• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost certain that you don't need any store to activate a 4G phone if you've already had a 4G phone. You just put your existing SIM card into the new phone and it activates itself (on VZW anyway). Going from 3G to 4G is a different matter.

Now that microSIMS are getting thrown into the mix (I don't believe the Nexus will have this), the smaller SIM cards will have to be activated somehow.

Upvote 0
this probably doesn't mean much, but the ads being shown by Sammy in these AF pages say that the GNex is "Pure Google"...

Attachments

• GN_benefit_brand_160x600.jpg
    GN_benefit_brand_160x600.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
I'm almost certain that you don't need any store to activate a 4G phone if you've already had a 4G phone. You just put your existing SIM card into the new phone and it activates itself (on VZW anyway). Going from 3G to 4G is a different matter.

This is my scenario, coming from an OG DInc. Just trying to figure out what will be necessary when I finally get this thing in my hands.

So... if I preorder, I will still have to take the phone into Verizon for them to program the SIM card? Its not a big deal, just want to be prepared :)

Upvote 0
This is my scenario, coming from an OG DInc. Just trying to figure out what will be necessary when I finally get this thing in my hands.

So... if I preorder, I will still have to take the phone into Verizon for them to program the SIM card? Its not a big deal, just want to be prepared :)

You shouldn't have to go in anywhere. I don't know if you can activate a SIM with MyVerizon or not, but you could always call VZW and they can activate the SIM over the phone. I would guess there will be instructions in the box too, if it gets sent to you.

Upvote 0
Yargh so what you're saying is that even if I preorder the phone, I'm still gonna have to pay a visit to the local VZW store to activate it?!

I'm trying to remember when I ordered a phone online last from VZW... I'm almost certain that even when you order the phone, at some point, after receiving the phone, you have to agree to the "terms and conditions" of your new 2-yr contract (if you buy it subsidized) ... but this can be over the phone (from a landline, likely) or on MyVerizon.

Reactions: Rrrracer
Upvote 0

I noticed no atrix 2 that was released after the bionic ouchies

Yeap - I don't know how that works, or what the numbers come out to.

But the big news there settles any doubt for those that were unsure:

- Source going into AOSP code repository available for use by anyone -

- Immediate return on the whole rendezvous promised for phones and tablets -

moto =/= google <--- that deal isn't final yet, so yep, this is a big enough announcement

Especially for the Gnex'rs that have been posting about wanting a custom rom.

Upvote 0

No problem. Instructions will be in the box. Its very easy. All your contacts and such will be transferred too.
Or you can call Verizon support and they will guide you. It only take a couple minutes.

Reactions: Rrrracer
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones