• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screen protector is necessary. Anybody who thinks otherwise will, eventually, get pleasantly surprised that they have stuff in their pockets that is harder than gorilla glass (no innuendo please).

Also, my home made NY style > 99% of pizzas (I'm a bit of a pizza enthusiast :) )

I have 3 small scratches in my Original Droid and that is from 2 years daily usage in my pockets with keys and accidentally dropped it on concrete at least 3 times. This is compared to my old iPod with at least 300 scratches on the screen. Gorilla glass makes a huge difference.

You really don't need a screen protector unless you are extremely paranoid about scratches. It is a trade off for the potential of a few superficial scratches for less touch feel.

And NY style pizza all the way. Chicago style shouldn't even be considered real pizza.

Upvote 0
Either way..highly contemplating taking the day off to go grab it, but if its November 3rd, I'd like VZW to go ahead and announce it. It's putting a cramp on my schedule :D

As I recall, Panda also indicated a Halloween announcement. I originally interpreted that to mean the Halloweenish season (i.e., end of October)...but maybe he really did mean an Oct. 31st announcement. That would make sense, still giving VZ time to promote their RAZR. But, gosh, that is not much prep time before the 3rd... IDK. So far the only leaks pointing to Nov. 10th have been Cellebrites. The RAZR was also listed for the 10th until it was officially announced and then that date was changed to the 27th (for preorder). So maybe we're putting too much stock in the leaks suggesting the 10th? I wouldn't be surprised if we at least got to preorder by the 3rd with an official launch on the 10th.

As much as VZ wants to focus on the RAZR and possibly delay the G-Nex for the RAZR, Sammy and Google are pretty much waiting on VZ because of the rumored "exclusivity" deal between VZ and the G-Nex. They will not be happy if their broader US launch is delayed because VZ wants to give the RAZR a chance to sell. I don't expect too much delay from VZ, maybe they'll wait until after the preorder (i.e., the 27th) to give us the dates, but I think we'll see the G-Nex very quickly after that.

Upvote 0
And that's the point where you trip the moisture sensor on a lot of these newer phone/battery indicators.

No joke - I've had others here on the forums get denied returns when the closest they've gotten their phone to water is as a music player in the bathroom. Multiple times.

Are they really that sensitive now?

That's quite ridiculous. I use my phone to listen to music in the shower all the time -- guess I need to annoy my neighbors now by putting my computer speakers much louder from the living room.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Ok, I hope this argument can definitively be put to rest now.

Chicago-Style Pizza - Wikipedia

It has also been confirmed by the World Pizza Authority (WPA) to be the best pizza on the planet, beating out even the famed pizza of Milan, Italy. New York-style pizza came in third place, falling behind Chicago-style pizza by almost 750 million votes.

Sorry everyone. Let's move on, shall we?

Upvote 0
And that's the point where you trip the moisture sensor on a lot of these newer phone/battery indicators.

No joke - I've had others here on the forums get denied returns when the closest they've gotten their phone to water is as a music player in the bathroom. Multiple times.

Isn't water damage one that is covered under the replacement warranty?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

That's ridiculous. So if I'm outside and it's raining, and I get a little bit of spotting on my jeans (no innuendos, please), I'm screwed (no innuendos please)?

That's crazy.

Best Chicago-style pizza is in St. Louis at Pi Pizza. Verified by none other than the Commander In Chief.

Best St. Louis-style pizza is in St. Louis at Imo's. We can always tell who ain't from around here by those who snub Imo's.

Ah, Droidette. I'm surprised you made it in today. My wife was depressed over the collapse last night. Oh well.

c'est la vie

Looks like the 17th of Nov is favourite for release date in the UK (and prob US). Corroborates the timelines seen for various US operators, Samsung Galaxy Nexus Coming 17th November Clove Technology’s Blog.

Apologies if already posted.

This would square up with what my sister heard at VZ earlier, before the 3rd came up. 17th is passable. I can't wait much longer than that, though.

Upvote 0
And NY style pizza all the way. Chicago style shouldn't even be considered real pizza.

Chicago style isn't bad, but I agree, it's like eating something else, not pizza. When I want a pizza, I get a pizza. If I want a loaf of bread suffed with things, then I'd order Chicago style.

But just to prove NY doesn't get everything right, why muck up awesome New England Clam soup with that paltry Manhatten version.

Reactions: Highwayman
Upvote 0
I agree! A couple thousand posts back I really tried to get a deep discussion going regarding the fascination with both deep dish pizza and hot-but-geeky-looking-girls (kind of like how you don't see them every day, but when you do, it's a nice treat!) but that was promptly deleted.

JK, I never brought that up. :p

But now that I think about it, it's a very important discussion!

Thin crust > deep dish imo :)

Upvote 0
i saw a post a few pages back someone asking about the Gps and radio track record of Samsung. nobody answered this question? has Samsung addressed these issues on this phone? especially the GPS issues from previous Samsung phones:thinking::thinking:

From what I have read about that issue, seems like nexus s and galaxy s 2 fixed that problem. If i were to get that phone that would be the first thing i would look at

Upvote 0
Ah, Droidette. I'm surprised you made it in today. My wife was depressed over the collapse last night.

La Russa better stop getting "strategic" with his pitching staff every 8th inning because it's killing us.

Between the World Series and the GNex anticipation, I CAN'T TAKE THE STRESS!

Need. More. Coffee.

Reactions: red66charger
Upvote 0
Chicago style isn't bad, but I agree, it's like eating something else, not pizza. When I want a pizza, I get a pizza. If I want a loaf of bread suffed with things, then I'd order Chicago style.

But just to prove NY doesn't get everything right, why muck up awesome New England Clam soup with that paltry Manhatten version.

the only time Manhattan is acceptable is for lactose intolerant people (thankfully I am not in that group)

Ah, I just noticed it's from the UK (didn't see that at first). Unfortunately, that means nothing to us in the U.S. Samsung has a track record of releasing to different places at different times, much to the U.S.'s chagrin.

I'm still hoping for US release first, on the 3rd or 10th.

I'm torn on hoping on this one - for you guys that know you can get it right away I hope it drops soon. For me, knowing I'm going to have to wait unless I find an extra $299, I hope it's later.

Upvote 0
Argh. It's crap like this that makes me dislike BGR more and more.

Motorola to release first Android 4.0 devices six weeks after Google releases final build

They come out with this as their freshest headline, a day after it's been clarified and updated that all Moto meant was that they would announce when 4.0 would be coming, not actually releasing.

Yes, I know that BGR seems to have been right on the specs for the SGN, but when they sandwich good info in layers of utter garbage, it's hard to believe anything they say.

Reactions: rhietpas
Upvote 0
Ah, I just noticed it's from the UK (didn't see that at first). Unfortunately, that means nothing to us in the U.S. Samsung has a track record of releasing to different places at different times, much to the U.S.'s chagrin.

I'm still hoping for US release first, on the 3rd or 10th.

I'm hoping you guys on VZW on 3rd or 10th...GSM version for the rest of us on the 17th...that would be awesome!!!!! Looking doubtful though. I would think that we'll be getting close to finding something out soon though, if Samsung is releasing stuff to UK, you think we'd follow.

Upvote 0
I love making pizza, check this site out

PizzaMaking.com - Pizza Making, Pizza Recipes, and More!

Dedicated to replicating some of the better pizzas out there. good eats!

Very fun place if you want to learn to make some exceptional pizza.

My recipe actually was adapted from an alton brown recipe :eek: Tweaked it to my liking, use home-made sauce seasoned to subjective perfection, and freshest ingredients possible.

I often order pizza on my phone. Relevant talk.

Reactions: drbugsmn
Upvote 0
Are they really that sensitive now?

Yep, some are, most definitely. Once word started getting out, people stopped testing the theory on this. So, are they all? I don't know - but forewarned is best.

Isn't water damage one that is covered under the replacement warranty?

It is for the add-on warranty - don't think so if you go without that and rely just on manufacturer's warranty.

Or if a few days later, you find you have a lemon with a bad GPS or whatever, and try to go for the store trade - at the point the moisture sensor is in the red, you may be looking at an insurance deductible.

I'm not an expert on warranties or anything - I just see the horror stories across oh, so many brands.

~~~~~~~~

Ditto on screen protector horror stories. I see people whose habits and habitats don't lead to much in the way of scratches advising against screen protectors for others. Why? People are different in their uses and environments. For those of you whose mileage varies, I recommend the Zagg Invisishield (avoid the no-smudge one, go for the plain). Pretty easy to get on, and if you apply no pressure when using, your finger will slip across the surface and the phone will respond. Don't use your phone for the first 12 to 24 hours. When applied, the thing will be gummy with lots of water bubbles underneath. When dry, it hardens and the water bubbles disappear - if you don't mess with it while drying. Keep the applicator stuff out of the rest of the phone - moisture, etc, see above. Keys aren't the big threat - sand is.

Reactions: dr01d3tte
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones