• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little lost......if its NOT Droid branded....then what? And it's a week away now.....SOMEONE'S got to have a picture by now?!?!?!?

if it's not Droid branded, many in here would consider that a "good thing." it most likely means that the Nexus will be a vanilla Andy device - no pre-installed bloatware, no 3d party UI, open BL, easily rooted/rom'd/oc'd, and OS updates directly from Google.

personally, i think we'll get an announcement of the Nexus next week, but it won't release until Nov. given how locked down this thing has been, i wouldn't be surprised if the announcement is the first view we get of the device.

Reactions: Grandmadroid
Upvote 0
I'm lost. The conversation is over my head. No Droid branding?.....and Steven is considering the Vigor???

"Droid" is the brand given to specific Verizon phones (Charge, X, Incredible, Bionic etc). Verizon makes extensive changes to those phones (even the boot animations are coordinated).

Some phones don't get that branding and are generally closer to the Manufacturer's original form (Thunderbolt, Revolution, Fascinate).

Someone correct me if I'm spouting nonsense.

Reactions: Grandmadroid
Upvote 0
307-ted-williams-0209-lg.jpg

9 more days to go before the big announcement!!! :D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
"Droid" is the brand given to specific Verizon phones (Charge, X, Incredible, Bionic etc). Verizon makes extensive changes to those phones (even the boot animations are coordinated).

Some phones don't get that branding and are generally closer to the Manufacturer's original form (Thunderbolt, Revolution, Fascinate).

Someone correct me if I'm spouting nonsense.
Not quite nonsense, because there seems to be little ryme or reason.

The OG "Droid" was vanilla Android.

Subsequent Droids have been all flavors. All have been saddled with Verizon bloat and none came in vanilla after the OG (IIRC).

However, the non-droid branded phones have just as much, if not more, bloat and customization. For example, Fascinate came with Bing services and defaulted to VZ Navigator. Certainly not anywhere near the other Galaxy S type phones, and not near mfr original form.

My guess is that the Droid branding is purely driven from a marketing perspective, and has nothing to do with actual technical specs. It may have some contractural obligations that come with the branding as well.

Who knows?

Upvote 0
The UI is a moot point. Lets say it comes with TW 4.x or it's vanilla. The bootloader will be unlocked and you will be able to run one of the other or the hundreds of other ROMS that will soon follow.

Bloat is going to be on there. Get used to it. But again it's a moot point. It's an open device and can easily be removed.

Specs can't be changed, UI changes are endless

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
The UI is a moot point. Lets say it comes with TW 4.x or it's vanilla. The bootloader will be unlocked and you will be able to run one of the other or the hundreds of other ROMS that will soon follow.

Bloat is going to be on there. Get used to it. But again it's a moot point. It's an open device and can easily be removed.

couldn't agree more

Upvote 0
if you want to do custom roms, then you will have to root.

I'd be shocked if 90% of us don't root this thing. I, too, am curious as to why everyone wants Stock Vanilla if we're all going to change it anyway?

My reason for going stock is just to see what it's like, and I have a suspicion that if I simply overlay my custom launcher over Touchwiz, Touchwiz will still eat up RAM in the background. Does anyone know if this is true, or am I just being paranoid?

Upvote 0
I was sure it won't be called Droid. It is Nexus! Guys! What's wrong with you!?

ATTENTION PLEASE!
Watch it as it happens:
-Nexus brand
-No Touchwiz, stock OS - FOR SURE!
-Pure ICS
-No bloatware

11th October you'll see, and than you'll say "Sh*t, the jungle predicted it so precisely ten days ago!"

Self-assured. I like that. ;)

307-ted-williams-0209-lg.jpg

9 more days to go before the big announcement!!! :D:D:D:D

This is fun!

Exactly.

I'd be shocked if 90% of us don't root this thing. I, too, am curious as to why everyone wants Stock Vanilla if we're all going to change it anyway?

Most of us here will be rooting/romming (sp?), wifi tethering to some degree, etc. Agreed.

Upvote 0

My reason for going stock is just to see what it's like, and I have a suspicion that if I simply overlay my custom launcher over Touchwiz, Touchwiz will still eat up RAM in the background. Does anyone know if this is true, or am I just being paranoid?

I believe that is true.

I won't necessarily put a rom on the phone right away. I will root to backup apps and data and use root explorer. Once cm8 comes out, I'll see what that is like and decide if I want rooted stock or cm8. I like cm tweaks.

Upvote 0
Most of us here will be rooting/romming (sp?), wifi tethering to some degree, etc. Agreed.

I have both PDANet and wifi tether, and I'm terrified to use either one! Considering that (a) I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data for $9.95 a month; and (b) Verizon would just LOVE to find an excuse to terminate me, there is NO WAY I would tether unless it was a life-threatening emergency or something.

The only reason I would want to root is to make backups. But with a Prime, and regular updates coming straight from Google, I'm not sure I would even do that. Not to mention that I will use another family member's upgrade next year to get the latest & greatest: I may just leave it stock and pass it on as-is. My days of rooting & ROMming may be quickly coming to an end.

Upvote 0

I personally like TW 4.0. It's not intrusive and adds a little flavor. The reason I'd like to see Vanilla ICS is to get a taste of what it's really like. Perhaps ICS won't look Vanilla at all. It may have some "flavor" so to speak. Either way, the UI is not even a concern. If it's TW 4.0 I'll just have to wait a bit to try the "vanilla" variety. If it's "vanilla" I'll just have to wait a bit to use TW.

As far as TW using up resources even if you run a launcher. Yes it will. It's still running "underneath" the launcher.

I wouldn't worry though. If the Prime is anything like the SGSII you will LOVE it. The SGSII is like butter. Go to Sprint and check it out. You will be tempted to purchase it right then and there :) SGSII is hands down the best Android phone I have ever sampled. Nothing compares to it in my honest opinion.

Samsung has become my favorite manufacturer at this time

Reactions: MachineGunnWilly
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones