• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at this pic, I'm convinced that those who buy a phone with capacitive buttons won't be out of the loop. With the code at the top saying "navigationhidden=2", I'm sure that if ICS detects physical capacitive buttons on the phone, it will simply change to navigationhidden=0 or =1, and the graphic buttons we see on this pic will simply disappear, and the physical capacitive buttons will merely work as normal as ever.

This makes me wonder whether the onscreen buttons are a gimmick or not. I really hope that we can replace those buttons with custom icons of some sort.

But if not, they're not as big or ugly as I thought they would be. I can easily live with them.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Holy smokes! :eek:

Just a quick pause from the excitement: I think we all need to give ourselves a quick pat on the back... 50 pages of rumors, speculations and conjectures (and some sundry BS thrown in for good measure). And NO flame wars at all in any of it!

It's not only one of the most EPIC threads on Android Forums, it also has to be one of the most civil. I think we've done a stellar job of governing ourselves, and a tip of the hat to our most excellent Mod Steven58 for somehow managing it all.

Proud to be a part of it. Let's see if we can make it to 3K posts and 75 pages before October 11th, when it will likely close.

Okay, back to the Nexus Prime!

Upvote 0
I found a new cell phone on a bar stool last night with no buttons!
It's made by Samsung and it has the Google logo on the back.
I will take pics and give a review latter today.
...and then sell it on eBay by dinnertime.

I just walked in the door with my new Bionic, all stoked up to post on the Bionic thread for the first time, and now the first picture of the Prime has leaked!

Should I return this thing or what?

Yes. Prime will have working 3G/4G before Bionic does. :D

I think I just came.
Just concluded business w/SpeakerBox, eh? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Holy smokes! :eek:

Just a quick pause from the excitement: I think we all need to give ourselves a quick pat on the back... 50 pages of rumors, speculations and conjectures (and some sundry BS thrown in for good measure). And NO flame wars at all in any of it!

It's not only one of the most EPIC threads on Android Forums, it also has to be one of the most civil. I think we've done a stellar job of governing ourselves, and a tip of the hat to our most excellent Mod Steven58 for somehow managing it all.

Proud to be a part of it. Let's see if we can make it to 3K posts and 75 pages before October 11th, when it will likely close.

Okay, back to the Nexus Prime!
If anything else leaks, I'm sure the forum would explode to at least 60 or 65 pages before the 11th.

Upvote 0
Looking at this pic, I'm convinced that those who buy a phone with capacitive buttons won't be out of the loop. With the code at the top saying "navigationhidden=2", I'm sure that if ICS detects physical capacitive buttons on the phone, it will simply change to navigationhidden=0 or =1, and the graphic buttons we see on this pic will simply disappear, and the physical capacitive buttons will merely work as normal as ever.
That's a good analysis. Prevailing hypothesis is that in ICS the navigation will be hidden or shown on an app-by-app basis, but there surely would be no reason to waste pixel space to display buttons that are already physically present. An exception might be if new or a variable number of soft buttons needed to be displayed.
This makes me wonder whether the onscreen buttons are a gimmick or not. I really hope that we can replace those buttons with custom icons of some sort.
Not a gimmick IMO. As long as the soft buttons don't become unavailable or unresponsive when the phone's busy, I'm happy to reclaim the space for additional purposes.
But if not, they're not as big or ugly as I thought they would be. I can easily live with them.
The buttons aren't big in that picture, but the space reserved for them is disconcertingly huge. If the 1184 height is correct, and that's a 1280 screen, then is it really leaving a full 96 pixels just for soft buttons?

Upvote 0
The buttons aren't big in that picture, but the space reserved for them is disconcertingly huge. If the 1184 height is correct, and that's a 1280 screen, then is it really leaving a full 96 pixels just for soft buttons?

If the display is such a high dpi, is that really that many pixels for physical buttons? I'm not sure of the math though... what is that in inches?

Upvote 0
Just had to check in this morning :)

Almost made it to official announcement with no leaks! Maybe next time.

Ha! Well since I believe you're legit, VZ, I'll take that as confirmation that this is the real deal.

But I'm not surprised, given that this happened to leak on the same day as Samsung's frenemy-turned-enemy is announcing their iFail.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this pic was leaked at the behest of Samsung itself. Makes sense.

Upvote 0
If the display is such a high dpi, is that really that many pixels for physical buttons? I'm not sure of the math though... what is that in inches?
If there's 96 pixels unaccounted for, a reasonable guess is 32 for the notification area (thx Chief!) and 64 for lower buttons. At 320dpi, that would be exactly one fifth of an inch. You're right, that's not very large.

Upvote 0
If there's 96 pixels unaccounted for, a reasonable guess is 32 for the notification area (thx Chief!) and 64 for lower buttons. At 320dpi, that would be exactly one fifth of an inch. You're right, that's not very large.

The Xoom uses software keys which are 80 pixels big. It's screen is 1280x800. Those 80 pixels are for the software keys in the lower bar which can be dimmed away by the application. Minus the 80 you get 1280x720 (HD).

I'm assuming they couldn't get a display that was that small at 1280x800... digressing here.

The one thing the Xoom did was move the notification bar into the software key bar, but I don't expect that on a phone... in portrait mode anyway. Or when we switch to landscape are the software keys going to stay in place and just rotate their orientation. That's probably best.

My actual point is the Xoom uses 80 pixels and it is more then enough on a 10" screen. This is probably going to use 66+/- pixels with 20+/- pixels for a notification bar. It should be fine.

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones