• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root **Official GB leak 2 thread** (was Anyone get OTA 4.5.588? Possibly Gingerbread OTA?)

Well I sbf'ed back to stock, took the large zip file and renamed it to update.zip, put it on the sdcard, and booted into recovery mode. I chose the upgrade from sdcard/update.zip and just booted the phone no problem.

System Version 4.5.588.MB810
Android Version 2.3.3
Baseband Version BP_C_01.09.12P
Build Number 4.5.1_57_DX5-18
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9

Upvote 0
Well I sbf'ed back to stock, took the large zip file and renamed it to update.zip, put it on the sdcard, and booted into recovery mode. I chose the upgrade from sdcard/update.zip and just booted the phone no problem.

Android Version 2.3.3
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9

WHAT?! I didnt/dont think its supposed to work that way... are you infact on gingerbread now?
think you could take/post a picture?

Upvote 0
WHAT?! I didnt/dont think its supposed to work that way... are you infact on gingerbread now?

Yes I am... Those version numbers I got out of my phone. Looks the same as the leaked one jsut newer version numbers.

I tired to move the two files into the cache directory. The phone kept deleting the .zip file on its own. I said screw this... renamed the zip file to "update.zip" and put it in the sdcard's root directory. Booted into recovery and did the update manually.

Went through without errors.

Upvote 0
According to a recent Tweet, the new version will not install unless you are on complete stock 2.3.340. If you have installed any ROM or have updated to GB, it won't install.

Why yes of course, this is the same old song & dance we're all used to right? Have they rolled out an update yet that didn't require you to be completely stock? I had already anticipated having to flash back to my stock .340 before being able to update to stock GB.

But I'm going to let the bread cool for a while before I try a slice. The leak is serving me well, honestly if I never updated this device again I'd be just fine. The most engaging prospect on this new gb seems to be Netflix. But if Netflix is now available for our beloved DX, couldn't we get it from the market? If not I'm sure someone will make an .apk out of it shortly.

I really have no interest in updating to this kernel until they get Z4Root working on it.

Upvote 0

Android Version 2.3.3
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9

That's the same kernel I'm on with the leak. Which means porting netflix over shouldn't be a problem at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones