1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Official Gingerbread (2.3) for the Shift is here! w00t!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kbrn, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Enraged21

Enraged21 Well-Known Member

Over at xda, I believe x99 came out with the rooted version of the new update. I would post link but I'm on my phone and don't have time.

EarlyMon likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Welcome to the forums!

As the owner of the Evo 4G backup/reset/restore on update thread, please allow me to advise on this.

People are going either too reset-shy or too reset-nuts. One is enough - and then when you start to see any bizarre, illogical problems after an OTA update (caches are not cleared properly - see advice above to clear Twitter cache and browser cache at least).

I updated my wife's Shift tonight with absolutely zero issues - except a wife who wouldn't put down her phone for a half-hour, grinning from ear to ear that her quick phone just got a whole lot quicker and a richer feature set.

If yours has your basic Shift without root, go for the update, monitor performance and look for bugs and then follow the Evo 4G How to fix Froyo and Gingerbread advice (in the Support and Troubleshoooting forum) only if you find it necessary.

So far, from where I sit, the Shift just continues to seem better managed than the Evo.

3. GR8BigCheese

GR8BigCheese Newbie

I did the update and on the whole, it's an improvement but why does it take so many taps to delete a text message thread. I always delete after reading and it used to take 3 (which is 2 too many) and now you have to tap menu-->More-->Delete-->Ok which is just INSANE!

4. dsavage

dsavage Member

Mine came over the air this morning! Didn't take too long on Wi-Fi to download.

So far, I like it. Seems stable, again so far.

Nice job HTC/Sprint.

5. toddpedersen

toddpedersen Well-Known Member

You could always use the much more robust Handcent program.

6. FdxRider

FdxRider Newbie

ginglish likes this.
  7. zsir

zsir Newbie

No update available for me yet.....

Is netflix available after the update?

8. bmacphoto

bmacphoto Lurker

I'm sorry, I just have to ask....How often are people watching a movie on their phone?

9. dsavage

dsavage Member

The version I had before the update worked for me (with a good connection).

After the update, audio only, white screen.

Installed the latest Netflix apk, but it doesn't work for me either, still just audio, but just white screen, no video.

Why is Netflix so difficult for the Shift?

10. dsavage

dsavage Member

Not many, what with all the problems.

I for one would, now and again, if they could get the dang thing to work.

11. mdaviso

mdaviso Lurker

I found a flashable zip, just curious what the easiest way to add the zip to the phone and where? It has been so long ago since I have rooted the phone......

12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

For rooters - place file as update.zip in /sdcard (no further directory down), make sure if any Windows transfers were involved that the file isn't named update.zip.zip = power up phone holding volume-down and power, and depending how you rooted and what recovery you installed, you should be able to follow menu options from that point.

If that doesn't work, ask questions in root forum (not being a meanie, we just like to organize that way).

13. cutlassracer

cutlassracer Newbie

Did the update. All working well, skipped the reset. Reset seemed to cause more problems for the EVO than it solved. The Shift is working great. Sense 2.1 is nice, but still doesn't landscape home screens (unless I missed something). Thanks for the welcome. Think I've found a new home for android forums.

14. kbrn

kbrn Android Enthusiast

Landscape on Sense only works with the keyboard open.

15. DJ TooHypE

DJ TooHypE Newbie

Loving my Evo Shift 4g 2.3.3 even more =) although my (People-Contacts) The images that are link/ed too their respective Facebook/Twitter Profiles the images are bigger & blurry em im not digging at all.... and not sure how too fix that??

16. cutlassracer

cutlassracer Newbie

That what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. That fact still keeps it in the fail catagory for me. Other than that sense 2.1 is great. I'd just like the Status bar and app drawer for my EVO.

17. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

The Thunderbolt guys figured this out (Evo guys did also, but that was an earlier, different problem and fix).

Here's the Thunderbolt gang's fix (they've had the newer Sense) - http://androidforums.com/htc-thunderbolt/299806-facebook-pics-contacts-awful.html#post2440202

If that fails, the post above it is mine, pointing to the older Evo fix for this one.

Please tell us which works for you, if any.

18. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Note - to save your current scene, you have to name it - the save options have changed.

I didn't notice this before - the settings will rotate in either direction, regardless of keyboard - is that just me? Agree, home screens only rotate when keyboard is out.

19. DaWeav

DaWeav Android Enthusiast

Non-rooted, the update went fine and fast. Phone is working as before with the added features, and 'finally' was able to get the Quick Recorder widget to download and install! But, I might have a small bug.

I have the native Gmail email sync disabled since I like using the Sense Email app, so I have my GMail account setup using the Sense Mail app via the Microsoft Exchange Activsync connector via the m.google.com way. It connects and pulls email and everything, but every now and then it gets stuck in what I'll call a syncing loop. It just constantly keeps trying to sync email. The only way I've found to get it out of this sync loop is to remove the account and set it back up again. I've had to do this three times so far, but it's been fine so far all day so hopefully that's the end of that.

I also noticed that the Sense Calendar 'Agenda' widget doesn't remove passed calendar events anymore. It just keeps all of today's events listed inside the widget. It used to remove the calendar event after it was passed its end time, but it doesn't do that anymore.

20. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Android Enthusiast

so far i am digging 2.3.3 dosent seem too much different, i just wish we would have got Sense 3.0 that i was reading about for the EVO 3D.. app shortcuts on the home screen.... PLEASE???

the other thing i have noticed is the gingerbread update seems to have killed my z4 temproot access therefore disabling my ability to use wifi tether. i have tried Gingerbreak from xda a few times so far and it dosent seem to be working... i will be patiently waiting for a temp/perm gingerbread root and to see if the old wifi tether app works or weather i will need to search for another of those as well

21. mike12806

mike12806 Newbie

Anyone else noticed a lag when backing out of certain apps especially the broser? It goes to a white screen with the HTC logo and says "loading"?

22. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Clear your browse cache, check if there's a Flash update you don't have, and then pull your battery for 60 seconds.

If that doesn't work for you - you may have to save/factory reset/restore.

Instructions: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-sup...how-fix-froyo-gingerbread-any-rom-update.html

23. astrobill

astrobill Well-Known Member

Actually, PRL stands for Preferred Roaming List, and I think it's actually a list of NON-Sprint towers and preferences based on Sprint's agreements on roaming through OTHER providers.

24. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

You may right, but others explained it that way to me, so I could be passing on bad info.

On the other hand - when Sprint updates their towers, or when an update gets the least bit wonky, 3G speeds go down until you follow those two steps.

25. astrobill

astrobill Well-Known Member

Might be BOTH. Here:

Sprint Community: What's a PRL? The Answer!

EarlyMon likes this.

HTC EVO Shift 4G Forum

The HTC EVO Shift 4G release date was January 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.6" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

January 2011
Release Date
Reviews