• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official "Goodbye Droid X" Thread

bigbabys

Android Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2009
Largo, FL
I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread for all of us X users to bid farewell (and maybe get an idea of who is leaving) with the impending launch of the Bionic.

I for one learned so much in my very short time here in the Droid X and X all things root forums, and would like to thank every single guide/user who helped me along the way. I hope to see continued support over in the Bionic forums!

Also, might be a good idea to briefly explain what your X's future holds! Mine?

I intend to sell mine in order to re-coup some of the costs of the Bionic. It has served me well and will be missed. I just hope that not too far into the future I will be able to customize my Bionic as much! Custom Roms and such :D

I'm undecided on the Bionic until i see what kind of Dev support it is going to get and see more reviews after about a month of it being released.

1. If i get it i'll just give my DX to my fiance
2. No matter if its the Bionic or another phone i will more than likely ONLY pay full retail for them from here on out. I'm tired of contracts.

Upvote 0
I'm undecided on the Bionic until i see what kind of Dev support it is going to get and see more reviews after about a month of it being released.

1. If i get it i'll just give my DX to my fiance
2. No matter if its the Bionic or another phone i will more than likely ONLY pay full retail for them from here on out. I'm tired of contracts.

I can tell you that if the there is no possibility of unlocking the bootloader, it isn't going to get much dev support; especially with the stack of new phones, possibly even better (most likely better) phones on the Bionics "behind".

Unfortunately, I think people (devs mainly) learned their lesson on the X.

Upvote 0
I can tell you that if the there is no possibility of unlocking the bootloader, it isn't going to get much dev support; especially with the stack of new phones, possibly even better (most likely better) phones on the Bionics "behind".

Unfortunately, I think people (devs mainly) learned their lesson on the X.

thanks Buzz Killington....lol jk

yeah I also remember when the X was about to drop...all of the hype was " ahh man this thing has a locked bootloader we're never going to be able to do anything with it".....remember that? How long did that last.

however i'm still waiting till i hear official word on the next Nexus device....that is if its on VZW. If not then Bionic it is. I will NOT move to another carrier than Big Red.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I know this is weird to hear from me but I'll be around for awhile. With the advent of 2nd init and cm7 for gb, as well stock rooted .602, I'm beginning to love my phone again. I'm thinking I'll have it for another up to 4 maybe 5 months.

Can you say Nexus Prime?

Upvote 0

yeah I also remember when the X was about to drop...all of the hype was " ahh man this thing has a locked bootloader we're never going to be able to do anything with it".....remember that? How long did that last.

however i'm still waiting till i hear official word on the next Nexus device....that is if its on VZW. If not then Bionic it is. I will NOT move to another carrier than Big Red.

I think devs just wanted to stick it to Moto for the locked bootloader on the X, but I think they're over that now........I could be wrong, but time will tell.

Upvote 0

Yeah but the droid x had flagship status for awhile, and then the phones that followed immediately after the x weren't clearly better than it. Now we have the phones that are better in every way, but they still have flaws (no dual core, pentile screen, still no unlocked bootloader, awful battery life, etc.). The bionic is a solid phone, but there is a chance it will have flagship status for only 1 month. If not the nexus/droid prime then the htc vigor. Won't complain if there is great developer support for the bionic, but it isn't the same situation as the droid x. Also the droid x hardware was more advanced, relative to the competition at launch.

Upvote 0
I've been watching the Prime rumors closely and also learning about Pentile displays. As great as a lot of the specs are on the Bionic, having a Pentile display is a showstopper for me. With the Prime coming quickly on the Bionic's heels, I can wait a while longer. My DX is doing just fine, in fact I really don't need a new phone, mine is experiencing no problems.

I respect the OPs decision to move on and wish him/her the best.

Reactions: foo and bigbabys
Upvote 0
I've been watching the Prime rumors closely and also learning about Pentile displays. As great as a lot of the specs are on the Bionic, having a Pentile display is a showstopper for me. With the Prime coming quickly on the Bionic's heels, I can wait a while longer. My DX is doing just fine, in fact I really don't need a new phone, mine is experiencing no problems.

I respect the OPs decision to move on and wish him/her the best.

Funny, I thought more of us X users where switching. Maybe the ones that switched don't even touch the X forums anymore. But I didn't intend for this thread to bash the X in any way. I love mine, and I will miss it. This thread was intended to be more of a memorial for those of us who are leaving.

I will miss the community here, and I can only hope the community in the Bionic forums is as strong :)

(Oh, and yes, that the Devs crack this son-of-b ASAP!!)

Upvote 0
I know this is weird to hear from me but I'll be around for awhile. With the advent of 2nd init and cm7 for gb, as well stock rooted .602, I'm beginning to love my phone again. I'm thinking I'll have it for another up to 4 maybe 5 months.

Can you say Nexus Prime?

I'm with you, Steven. My X is running well and I'm just not seeing anything that is making me want to move on (although I am liking the D3, the keyboard is awesome). However I'll most likely stay with my rooted X for a while longer - its definitely been an incredible improvement over my previous Palm smartphones.

I also have to give kudos the forum here - you guys have made the switch from Palm to Android a very easy and stress-free endeavor for me. Many thanks to posters here (that includes you, Steven!).

Upvote 0
I was all over the Bionic. Well months ago that is. From what I heard it was supposed to be everything and a bag of chips.

From what I am hearing now, that does not seem to be the case.

I will gladly wait to see what the Prime and Vigor are like.

The screen is missing the chips.....lol

@P3Droid: Okay banding in the bionic is noticable at times, screen is the kryptonite of the awesome device. Its not a deal breaker for me.
Shared via TweetCaster

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones