• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official GSM Hero 2.1 Thread

@1ceb0x: If you install the official 2.1 release you may never be able to root the phone. You would have to wait until somebody found out how to root it. (Which may not happen).

But if you do want to root, then the real 2.1 release is already available in custom ROM form :) It's the Taiwanese release, but that doesn't make much difference when it comes to custom ROMs.

No you don't need to back up your 1.5 firmware. You can't do this anyway if you're sticking to official firmware.

There are various SMS back up apps on the market, although I don't know which are good/bad.

Reactions: 1ceb0x
Upvote 0
@1ceb0x: If you install the official 2.1 release you may never be able to root the phone. You would have to wait until somebody found out how to root it. (Which may not happen).

That's the kind of answer I didn't want to read :(. So, if I put official Eclair from hTC, I will have to pray and wait until someone "jailbreak" it and we can root :(

I am a bit dissapointed at the perspective of "not gonna have any other updates" and i think that my phone will be too old, IF another version of android kicks in (like android 3.0). So now i'm starting to be a little sceptic wheter or not to apply this update. Is there a way i can go back to 1.5 if i install eclair? I don't know if you answered this.

Also, is there any "thing" that a custom ROMs doesn't have but the official one does? I mean, like Touch FLO or SENSE UI or any other default program like Gmail.

Upvote 0
1ceb0x, Yes, you have to wait for a new rooting method to be figured out. To be honest this is pretty likely, but there's no guarentee.

If you install the official 2.1 and it can't be rooted you'd likely be stuck on it forever; HTC aren't going to give us 2.2. If it can be rooted to the degree it is now, then it would be possible to switch back to 1.5 or to 2.2.

Custom ROMs have all the functionality of official ROMs + more. They can be slightly more buggy though depending on your choice of custom ROM.

Trollatoppan, we get the branded phones as part of our contracts. T-Mobile don't hand out the unbranded hero for example, only the black G2.

Upvote 0
I used the above link for Orange HERO updates- HERO is not even mentioned in the list of phones. I am never going to use Ornage and HTC ever.

That is because despite what the information says, orange have never released an update for the hero on their website - all updates have been through the HTC website.

I suspect whoever it was that wrote it didn't really know anything about the 2.1 update and was simply quoting the general procedure for updating any orange phone.

Upvote 0
Just noticed a post before but cnt quote it for some reason, someone was on about firmware they updated frm HTC site to the EU version as they were on the greece/ireland firmware (I currently live in Scotland) due to them having 2 different english locales, am slightly confused about this. I thought that when you did FOTA update it retrieved correct version for the phone and should'nt have mattered about both locales as both were english settings.

Do I need to do same and update to EU version?
My current build : greece/ireland 2.73.405.95

Upvote 0
Just noticed a post before but cnt quote it for some reason, someone was on about firmware they updated frm HTC site to the EU version as they were on the greece/ireland firmware (I currently live in Scotland) due to them having 2 different english locales, am slightly confused about this. I thought that when you did FOTA update it retrieved correct version for the phone and should'nt have mattered about both locales as both were english settings.

Don't do anything. That build is ready for 2.1.

Upvote 0
Myth as far as i know the build number(the last digits, example: 275.45.xxx) is for the region of the phone's birth. If you buy a hero from asia you will have a different build number than a hero from nordic region(norway, holland). So it doesn't matter where you live. It matters if the region of your phone is in htc's plan of upgrade. So you don't need to bother installing updates from their site. Your phone should update itself if there is an update. But frankly, now i am sceptic whether we will get eclair for real this june or the htc company just released the fota update just to make us all hero owners to shut up for a while. It's just a theory.

Upvote 0

Mine did exactly the same thing (see page 13 in this thread). Had English (UK) and English (Ireland) showing in Locales.

I bit the bullet and installed the latest ROM on the HTC support pages, the one that came out last week, and then the update to 2.73.405.93 installed fine.

Had to faff around with setting my phone up from scratch, but that was no biggie.

Upvote 0
3UK Hero here and still not a sniff of any sort of update. I'll be buying a Desire this week as i am just fed-up with HTC sloppy support on the Hero. Plus with the 2.2 update never making it to the Hero kinda gives your a dead end really.

HTC have dropped an almighty clanger with the Hero, but for me this won't be so much of a deciding factor on whether I buy any of their products in the future.

What does interest me is what kind of support they give newer phones like the Desire, Legend and the US phones like the Evo, which will show us if they have got their act together (and that the Hero debacle was just a one-off) or if this situation we're in now is the norm'.

Upvote 0
HTC have dropped an almighty clanger with the Hero, but for me this won't be so much of a deciding factor on whether I buy any of their products in the future.

What does interest me is what kind of support they give newer phones like the Desire, Legend and the US phones like the Evo, which will show us if they have got their act together (and that the Hero debacle was just a one-off) or if this situation we're in now is the norm'.

Couldn't agree more.

One one side, the Hero has clearly been a huge success story (when it was launched, receiving awards, real alternative to iPhone etc).

But the subsequent fall out has been a PR catastrophe.

There is no way I will judge HTC based on this single handset though. There are several HTC handsets that I will be looking at when I'm due a new phone.

I'm hoping that when the 2.1 update lands, we'll all be chuffed to bits and all of the waiting and whingeing will have been worthwhile.

:)

Upvote 0
VillainRom 10 i guess its based on official 2.1 eclair. You can also search for modaco but i guess villa will be more good. You can search it on google because they have forums. The guys at villainrom are working at villainrom froyo release :).

Btw, is someone having some wireless bad signal issue? Now i'm at 10 feet of my wireless In other room with a door closed and i have 1 to none signal bars. And also if i am in the same room with my wireless, i have like 2bars out of 3. Only if i stay close to the wireless i have 3 of 3 bars. So odd. Can anyone tell me if they have issues like these? Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm hoping that when the 2.1 update lands, we'll all be chuffed to bits and all of the waiting and whingeing will have been worthwhile.

:)
Well, unless the updated handset will sh|t rainbows, smell like daisies and will have a built-in app to cure cancer, I'm sure that people will still complain, due to the update coming too late, and not being latest 2.2 android. :)

Me, I'll just be happy to take advantage of the improved memory management coming from 2.x, and broader application selection on market.

Upvote 0
VillainRom 10 i guess its based on official 2.1 eclair. You can also search for modaco but i guess villa will be more good. You can search it on google because they have forums. The guys at villainrom are working at villainrom froyo release :).

Btw, is someone having some wireless bad signal issue? Now i'm at 10 feet of my wireless In other room with a door closed and i have 1 to none signal bars. And also if i am in the same room with my wireless, i have like 2bars out of 3. Only if i stay close to the wireless i have 3 of 3 bars. So odd. Can anyone tell me if they have issues like these? Thanks

Looks like you're a rooter - suggest you get the OU radio update - improved just about everything - GSM/UMTS, WiFi and GPS reception <allegedly>.

Upvote 0
Looks like you're a rooter - suggest you get the OU radio update - improved just about everything - GSM/UMTS, WiFi and GPS reception <allegedly>.

Sorry i'm not a rooter. I have a 1.5 stock hero. I didn't doo rooting in my life (i have my hero from april this year) but i've done my research on rooting and i know some things (like the names of the best custom roms,or the most popular). So this update you say, falls.
No one with a default hero has/had my problem? My signal from the carrier is good to best but the wifi sux big time...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones