• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official GSM Hero 2.1 Thread

I've got an Orange branded hero running the 2.73.61.66 and I spoke to an Orange store employee on Sunday and another today and both told me that the update has been available from the HTC website since Friday and that it could be installed via HTC sync.
Just after this one of them admitted that they didn't really get told anything about the updates.
This is all made more irritating by the fact that I have to borrow a windows laptop to run HTC sync since they have no mac/linux support yet.

Upvote 0
Today I got an update of software from HTC, I guess this was the pre-ROM 1.5 because after rebooting everything was the same, I checked Settings > about phone, the firmare version is still 1.5, and build number is 2.73.405.93
There's a new setting "System software update" where I can select "scheduled check". And there is a new service running in background called "HTC checkin service".

I'm in Spain with Vodafone but my Hero is unlocked.

Upvote 0
I've got an Orange branded hero running the 2.73.61.66 and I spoke to an Orange store employee on Sunday and another today and both told me that the update has been available from the HTC website since Friday and that it could be installed via HTC sync.

Which isnt true right? I tried to download it from there and it tells me my phone doesnt need the download when i type the serial number in

Upvote 0
I spoke to an Orange store employee on Sunday and another today and both told me that the update has been available from the HTC website since Friday and that it could be installed via HTC sync.

If so then it's bloomin' well hidden, as the only Orange ROM upgrades available for the Hero from HTC UK are 2.73.61.5 and 2.73.61.66. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
fml still nothing... is this going to improve my reception in any way? i doubt it but i think its just telus' crappy HSPA network.. anyone else had a problem with dropped calls on this network?

well, that's what i used to think also, i'm on my third hero for unrelated problems, but all three had random dropped calls plus very erratic reception.
I gave up, convinced telus to scrap my remaining 30 months and bought an iphone 3gs for the new contract price, i've had it for 2 weeks, i get full bars basically everywhere, including inside, not one dropped call either, i upgraded to os 4 yesterday and she's still smooth runnin.

I would think the radio in the hero is suspect, and that a firmware plus radio software upgrade would probably do the trick.

i'm thinking of selling the Hero, any takers, its unlocked.

Upvote 0
I sent a email yesterday to HTC asking about the 2.1 update for the HTC Hero.

Reply...

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your email. The Android 2.1 Update is currently being pushed out to all Hero devices; it is in the process of your phone receiving the update. You will initially receive a small update on your phone which will then be followed shortly by the full update for you phone. Your device is searching for the update automatically so when prompted there is an update available in your notification bar please download the update. If you choose to ignore it for the time being to do it when you get home for example it could take up to 14 days for your phone to get the update again.

Thanks for contacting HTC. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,
Chris O HTC

I have a HTC Hero on 3uk. I unbranded my phone and as soon as it restarted i got the prompt to download the first part of this upgrade.

Upvote 0
hi all

i have read all these posts and was wondering my hero was originally on orange but i had it unlocked so i could use it on o2 but have not received the update even aftertryin the date push.

any ideas what i need to do or infact how i do it??

What is your current build number? (without the CL release keys).

Your handset will almost certainly require the Orange ROM but it shouldn't matter which network you're on as the software comes from HTC's servers.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'd like to see the proof of this too!?

Here you go, a screenshot with proof (i just removed my serial number frmo the screenshot though).

Im using Orange in Spain, and my build number is: 2.73.61.5 so i guess i dont need this pre-update crap...

On another note...my beautiful white Hero now looks kinda orange and grey!..i definitely wont be buying a white HTC phone ever again! id still stick with HTC though..i love my Hero :) If i never get the update its not the end of the world..id love to! but its not the end. Id eventually get a custom rom or simply upgrade my phone once i get board of it, by which time there will be even high versions of android.

Attachments

• serial number.JPG
    serial number.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0
Hello,

I received the update notification on my Hero and when I selected to update it started the process but then I got this message:

Build: Cyanogen Mod v1.4 + JF
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: No signature (218 files)
E: Verification failed
Installation aborted

I bought my Hero used so now I think the person who had it before rooted the phone at one point.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could do to get the new pre-update?

Current Build 2.73.405.5

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones