1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Official GSM Hero 2.1 Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Myth, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

This is nothing new. A CS rep posted on the Orangeworld forums that they had no word of the 2.73.xx.x update hours before it appeared on the HTC UK support site.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Nybras

Nybras Well-Known Member

3. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Android Enthusiast

surely the carrier will be doing the updates?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

If you look at the version numbers quoted in the article, this is the pre-update and not the full 2.1 update. (pre-update started rolling out last Thursday/Friday (17/18 June)).

So this is old news.

5. machei

machei Newbie

I'm with Telus on the Hero. I bought it the first day it was available, use it to this day, and dropped exactly one call in all that time... and I'm a heavy user. If it's the network, then I can tell you in Ontario it's rock solid.

6. MR_COATES

MR_COATES Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this one before....

South East Asia site (but in English):

HTC - Support

Update – HTC Hero Android 2.1 Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) update (Second Package)
    In our commitment to providing you with the best user experience, we are pushing out a new firmware update to your HTC Hero. Your phone will receive a notification of this update when it is made available. Simply press OK to accept the update via a data connection such as Wi-Fi or GPRS/3G. After installing the update, you can confirm a successful update by confirming the Firmware version (From the Home Screen go to MENU> Settings> About Phone> Firmware version). The new Firmware version will be 2.1.

Update Information: Android 2.1 Platform Upgrade

No serial number checks etc, just pushed out as per the pre-update.

This may have been out since the Taiwanese launch but I've not seen this before and the Taiwan release was certainly a different procedure to this one.

Based on the post by vjprakashbe, this could be the start of something beautiful!

7. paul1234

paul1234 Lurker

I have a Orange branded hero and all updates so far have been on the HTC web site not on Orange so why isn't this ons also just more nonsense from them both

8. amnesia

amnesia Member

COME ON HTC - give us 2.1

(pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease)

9. Dave.L

Dave.L Newbie

Deleted because I am a spas :-(

10. MR_COATES

Either you've got a drier sense of humour than me or you're pointing out an update from last year?

:thinking:

Ok now you've edited it! :D

But that's still only the first part of the OTA update.

11. Dave.L

Dave.L Newbie

Ok, I think I got a little excited there and perhaps didn't read what I posted properly. Sorry!

12. MR_COATES

13. paul1234

paul1234 Lurker

Go on htc web site and select honk kong english as your county and they have the htc hero android 2.1 update already both the first one and the second part

14. adam_hilluk

adam_hilluk Well-Known Member

As if =/

I know you can't download it from there or the web-site as a whole. But why not? Is there a reason its only OTA update??

15. MR_COATES

Probably to ensure the correct devices get the correct firmware.

Let's face it, get the correct Serial Number and anyone can download a particular file and try to install it. And potentially wreck the handset.

I may be wrong but I presume it's some kind of keeping control.

16. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

I'm frankly surprised it is.... I didn't expect the European updates to be OTA. Way back before 2.73.xx.xx appeared there was a screenshot floating around that apparently showed a test of the OTA procedure but nothing came of it and 2.73.xx.xx was delivered via RUU. As to why this update is OTA.... who knows? Maybe to eliminate the use of HTC Sync, which (a) is flaky and (b) only supports MS Windows?

Btw, while you can d/l any update with the correct device ID number it will refuse to install on an incorrect device. Plenty tried with the generic 2.73.405.5 while waiting for their carriers to come through, and to my knowledge nobody ever killed their handset.

17. aggrodoc

aggrodoc Newbie

Com on Orange, wake up.

18. MR_COATES

Of course. I suppose if the device wont install an incorrect ROM then there's no chance of it causing a problem.

There's got to be a reason for OTA though. It's probably nothing sinister or even interesting!

19. MR_COATES

Looks like the Benelux HTC Regional Manager has been commenting again.

Can't find any reports of people actually receiving the full 2.1 update but here's what he said....

Google Translate

20. mrdagz

mrdagz Member

we as the first OTA update arrived last wednesday/thursday for unbrnaded phones i am expecting the full update to be avalible mid to late next week.
    but we will see.

21. Myth

Myth Newbie

22. MR_COATES

I posted that link yesterday and nowhere does it state that Europe is due to receive it next week.

29th for France is the only reasonably confirmed release for Europe.

Having said that, next week does seem the most likely by pure 'end of june' default!

;)

23. Myth

Myth Newbie

ah sorry i didnt see the link, quite alot to trawl through on these pages now lol but yea i agree next week does look good date wise but im not holding my breath.

24. MR_COATES

Depends on what you've got, branded or unbranded.

With the update hitting several other regions (with no mention of network specific versions), I'm tempted to say that unbranded handsets could be next week for sure. So really Orange etc may just be working like crazy to do the same.

Regardless of what customer service are saying. 'Margaret' from Orange or T-Mobile may not have a bloody clue what the 2.1 Hero update even is never mind what's going on with it.

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews