1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Official GSM Hero 2.1 Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Myth, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Moko76

Moko76 Newbie
    None

Jun 28, 2010
    Shoe Repairer / Engraver
    Norwich, Uk

Ok, I've had a look on the marketplace and it does seem that the apps you've mentioned are not available. To be honest I didn't have any Paid apps on my phone (cheapskate) so I hadn't noticed it to be a problem, Space physics Lite showed up, but not the full version.

I'm having a hunt now for a solution to this, I'm at work at the moment so I keep getting interrupted by Customers (how dare they) but i'll post something as soon as I find some info.

Advertisement

sean.ellingham likes this.
  2. Moko76

Moko76 Newbie
    None

Jun 28, 2010
    Shoe Repairer / Engraver
    Norwich, Uk
    Just out of interest, do you have another pc/laptop available to you that runs on xp/vista. Windows 7 has been an issue for others before when connecting the usb to sync. Might be worth a try. I used Vista to do the first 2 phones which were my own on 3 mobile and a friends also on 3. My other friends was done on his XP system, that was a Vodafone locked phone.

3. mpw

mpw Android Expert
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    the past
    The updated Maps came with the download for me, would it have anything to do with you being in Croatia? Is Google Navigation limited by country?

4. nedamdam

nedamdam Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2010
    Internet Marketing
    Slovakia
    mpw yes it is. And I am sure it was mentioned here and there sooo many times. You need google maps brut if you are in a country thats not on the list yet. Google for both :) Ooor here

Am in Slovakia and this worked for me

5. Moko76

Moko76 Newbie
    None

Jun 28, 2010
    Shoe Repairer / Engraver
    Norwich, Uk
    After putting "error 170 usb problem" into google, I was greeted by more pages about this issue than you could read in an afternoon. The problem seems to be related to HTC sync, but does seem to affect other versions of windows nt just windows 7.

I note that on the htc support page they say that you should uninstall any previous versions of sync from your pc before installing the new version, so it might just be worth deleting anything sync related from your pc, then installing the new one from scratch and trying again. I'll keep hunting for further solutions in case this doesn't solve the problem.

6. rainmanne

rainmanne Newbie
    None

Dec 22, 2009
    You may need to uninstall Win7 drivers and install Vista ones. There was a topic somewhere about how to do it. Alternatively you may try to do it on some other Pc, which has a different Windows version (not 64-bit Win7. I had a similar problem when was reflashing my phone and I did that and also uaed HTC Sync from Sprint's website rather than HTC.

7. omebius

omebius Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    Thanks for all the help. Will try it from fresh on my gf's laptop running w7 32bit and let you know.

8. Loz

Loz Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    Hi all,

Long time lurker, specifically in this thread, just decided to register because I found a work around for the multiple accounts issue that seems common across many 2.1 phones.

I was also having the 'reliable data connection' error when adding a second Google account even with a tested and working wi-fi connection. I tried a few times then discovered from a Google search that it was a problem with 2.1 dating back to 2009 or further so I gave up. Then I noticed that in my accounts and sync settings menu I had a Google account called #myyoutubeusername#@youtube.com that was erroring out trying to sync Google contacts.

Long story short, I went to the YouTube app and logged out then attempted to log in to YouTube with the second Google account I was trying to add using the full e-mail version i.e.: googleusername@gmail.com and my Google password. Obviously this failed to log in to the YouTube app but then I went to accounts and sync and there it was! Added correctly as a Google account, it works with Google mail and contacts sync!

You can then log in to the YouTube app again with your usual settings and tell the @youtube.com account not to attempt syncing contacts in accounts & sync to stop the error message.

Hope I help someone out with the problem that I had. Multiple Google accounts was one thing in 2.1 that I was really looking forward to as I'm not too fond of the HTC mail app and I love the Google mail app.

SchOX and mpw like this.
  9. mpw

mpw Android Expert
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    the past
    Thanks, sounds plausible; haven't got time to try it out just now, but I'll let you know if it works... slightly concerned that I'll have forgotten my YouTube login, as I haven't used it for years!

10. stoney73

stoney73 Guest
    None

wonder why? It's not like it takes more resources than the twitter version they have.
    Plain daft....

11. mpw

mpw Android Expert
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    the past
    How many months has it taken them to get this update to work? I think HTC found that the Hero was a dog to update, they've done the bare minimum they thought they could get away with, and now are probably happy to put the Hero out of their mind.

benparsons likes this.
  12. executiverocker

None

Jun 30, 2010
    The link above for the 1.5 stock rom is not letting me download and I can't seem to get it off the HTC website. Help anyone?

13. omebius

omebius Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2010
  14. TheJackKetch

TheJackKetch Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2010
    Are you sure?

The site hosting the file limits the number of free downloads that can run at the same time as they offer a premium subscription that gives unlimited access. Just click on the retry link on the top banner of the failed page. Shouldn't have to retry too often - it took me two attempts when I did it this morning.

Once through to the download page scroll to the bottom, you'll see a countdown from 60 sec to 0. After that you can download.

15. SchOX

SchOX Newbie
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Works like a charm (a bit "backwards" but workarounds usually is just that) - A big Thank You

16. harrylad

harrylad Newbie
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Are you saying if i install the generic rom on my 3uk hero and then update it to 2.1 I won't be able to see or download paid apps?

17. Xile

Xile Newbie
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    This is a little worrying, I was going to flash my ROM this evening, but the apps I use most are paid apps, I don't really want to lose these and be forced to use free apps only :(

18. executiverocker

None

Jun 30, 2010
    yeah been trying for the past hour or so, keeps saying all free slots been taken

19. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Just FYI....

Please don't provide links to HTC ROMs anywhere other than the official support sites, please. HTC has already served a C&D order on one site which was hosting official ROMs so let's play safe.

20. executiverocker

None

Jun 30, 2010
    Ive got it now from another source

21. eddysd

eddysd Newbie
    None

May 29, 2010
    Student
    London
    So do none of the payed for apps work at all? I was just about to do it but if i cant use my apps then i might not. :(

22. Moko76

Moko76 Newbie
    None

Jun 28, 2010
    Shoe Repairer / Engraver
    Norwich, Uk
    Whoops, sorry wasn't aware of that. Consider my hand slapped and I won't do it again.

23. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    I use this thread a lot to see when my 2.1 will be coming... but i`m on Orange and not got it yet :mad: everyone on here seems to have forgotten about us.. this thread is now about bugs and questions people have for the upgrade they`ve just got.. What about us who haven`t got it yet.. can we have a new thread? :thinking:

24. robogo

robogo Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2010
    student
    Croatia
    Tried to, no updates on the Market, nor does my Hero tell me there are updates available for Maps. But the app itself changed when I updated to 2.1.

Yep, this just might be it. Thanks for the info, nedamdam :)

25. eddysd

eddysd Newbie
    None

May 29, 2010
    Student
    London
    ;)

Tags: