• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official HTC Hero 2.1 Update now (5/19) on Sprint.com

Actually, some of us are having a TON of Bluetooth issues with the official 2.1 release. I can't get the Hero to maintain a connection for more than a second with my car kit (it worked okay before). And 9 times out of 10, I cna't get it to connect at all now...the car kit reports "Name Not Found" and/or "Invalid Device". My LG Rumor works fine with the same car kit....no issues. The Rumor also works with the Hero....I practiced sending contacts back and forth. However, something about the Bluetooth Headset Profile (HSP) on the new Hero update is messed up!

i'm having the same issues with a bt enabled home phone

Upvote 0
Now I am trying to ignore the sync thing and just run the upgrade. It opens the wizard just fine, but now says there is a USB Connection problem. Ummmm, no there isn't.... I just 20 mins ago transferred pictures from my phone to my laptop. This is totally ridiculous.

The connection problem is because you are trying to do it without sync. You need to have sync installed.

Upvote 0
I may have missed this in this thread but I think I read somewhere that you need to remove the SD card before updating. I have backed it up but I want to make sure.

Both my friend and I updated without removing the SDcard and didn't have a problem or card data loss. I'd say don't worry about it.

Upvote 0
I ran the second leaked RUU, and after having updated to the Official, a lot of the lag that I was experiencing, as well as most of the bugs, have completely disappeared. I no longer experience lag in the landscape keyboard. The Messaging app is no longer lagging, my Bluetooth works fine, and there is no dialer lag. Not to mention the official update is signed with Google so it can see the protected apps. There seem to be small, but noticeable differences between the leak and the official.
I've actually found that with the leaked RUU I was having a ton of bluetooth issues. With the official version those issues seemed to have cleared up. My BMW's iDrive finally syncs up my contacts an whatnot where as the leak only let me make calls using BT. I cant confirm anthing in the way of file transfers though.

Dang it... i'm tempted to say the h3ck w/ root as the odds seem better w/ the official 2.1. Still on v1.5 as I honestly haven't had the time for the last few days. Wonder if Fresh or DC will release a newer version *really* based off this final as it seems a couple of last minute BT bugs were perhaps fixed. The more I read also, it seems this 2.1.1 may be possibly based off 1st leak. I wonder how long before official 2.1 is rooted. I want the sure deal latest, but w/o the crapware, and with wireless tether.

edit: question... somebody mentioned bluetooth sync, and wondering... are we talking 'bout htc sync? if so, how in the heck does one do that?! With ActiveSync and WinMo it was pretty painless and have been going that route for years, but I thought maybe this is a missing feature in android... would love to be able to sync my outlook via htc sync to android, as I don't keep contacts nor sync my phone w/ gmail. even better if sync windows media playlists via mtp or something, but I know that's wishful thinking.

Upvote 0
Dang it... i'm tempted to say the h3ck w/ root as the odds seem better w/ the official 2.1. Still on v1.5 as I honestly haven't had the time for the last few days. Wonder if Fresh or DC will release a newer version *really* based off this final as it seems a couple of last minute BT bugs were perhaps fixed. The more I read also, it seems this 2.1.1 may be possibly based off 1st leak. I wonder how long before official 2.1 is rooted. I want the sure deal latest, but w/o the crapware, and with wireless tether.

The sense on xda seems to be they're close, some folks pulled an all-nighter last night working on it.

But no cigar yet. :(

You could always root, try the 2.1 leak, and if it doesn't work great for you, then just go with the official release (assuming that a newer version of the 2.1 build isn't available). You'd lose root, but at least you'd know that the leak wasn't gonna do it for you.

Just the time to root, which is pretty much nothing with the latest Fresh Kitchen.

Upvote 0
I had rooted my phone and flash fresh 2.0d. I was very pleased with the performance, mainly the speed. The only thing I did not like was the bogus city that the HTC weather/clock widget was picking up, as that city was about 60 miles east of me. So, I decided to use the official 2.1 upgrade that Sprint finally released a couple days ago.

I wish I had never done the later. Back to a slow phone is all I received from the upgrade. Also lost several abilities. Now I can not get root access back.

Someone please figure out a hole in the software, so others (I am sure there are others) and myself, can root again, and go back to where we want to be. Rooted and Free.

Upvote 0
I think I solved my own problem, I never installed the software, lol.

i successfully installed 2.1 but lost all my paid and free applications

i went to market and when i searched for example advanced task killer(4.99) i tried to download but would have to pay again...

any help as i have paid for quite a few

gots to say def impressed with the look/speed of 2.1

doesn't all your apps appear in the market 'My Downloads' section?

Upvote 0
No need to remove the SD card, has nothing to do with the update, many have left it in with no issues

I may have missed this in this thread but I think I read somewhere that you need to remove the SD card before updating. I have backed it up but I want to make sure.

Upvote 0
So if I download this update, I will lose all my data?????
Any solutions? The Desktop software is not the best for backing up and transfering back to the phone.

when you update you will lose everything...except cell phone numbers since they're backed up in your google account...

I say you should root 1st and slap a 2.1 based ROM instead though, if you do the update...you won't be able to root it because there's no root access for 2.1 right now..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones