1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Official HTC Hero 2.1 Update now (5/19) on Sprint.com

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zerokiwi, May 19, 2010.

1. velo116

velo116 Lurker

i'm having the same issues with a bt enabled home phone

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Xandria

Xandria Well-Known Member

3. Xandria

Xandria Well-Known Member

Now I am trying to ignore the sync thing and just run the upgrade. It opens the wizard just fine, but now says there is a USB Connection problem. Ummmm, no there isn't.... I just 20 mins ago transferred pictures from my phone to my laptop. This is totally ridiculous.

4. drew879

drew879 Newbie

No I realize the "leaked" and "official" 2.1 versions are identical. What I'm saying is, I'm debating switching from Fresh 1.1 to the leaked/official 2.1 release but I'm hesitant to do so unless 2.1 is really fast. If it's not, I'll wait for a custom 2.1 ROM. Maybe that's the best option anyway?

5. Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman Newbie

I may have missed this in this thread but I think I read somewhere that you need to remove the SD card before updating. I have backed it up but I want to make sure.

6. snow

snow Newbie

The connection problem is because you are trying to do it without sync. You need to have sync installed.

7. eyebeam

eyebeam Extreme Android User

Both my friend and I updated without removing the SDcard and didn't have a problem or card data loss. I'd say don't worry about it.

8. DFRESH

DFRESH Android Enthusiast

No need to remove your SD Card to update to 2.1 ...

when you update...it only erases data within the phone memory....so your SD Card is safe...

9. hakujin

hakujin Android Enthusiast

Dang it... i'm tempted to say the h3ck w/ root as the odds seem better w/ the official 2.1. Still on v1.5 as I honestly haven't had the time for the last few days. Wonder if Fresh or DC will release a newer version *really* based off this final as it seems a couple of last minute BT bugs were perhaps fixed. The more I read also, it seems this 2.1.1 may be possibly based off 1st leak. I wonder how long before official 2.1 is rooted. I want the sure deal latest, but w/o the crapware, and with wireless tether.

edit: question... somebody mentioned bluetooth sync, and wondering... are we talking 'bout htc sync? if so, how in the heck does one do that?! With ActiveSync and WinMo it was pretty painless and have been going that route for years, but I thought maybe this is a missing feature in android... would love to be able to sync my outlook via htc sync to android, as I don't keep contacts nor sync my phone w/ gmail. even better if sync windows media playlists via mtp or something, but I know that's wishful thinking.

10. dsavage

dsavage Member

The sense on xda seems to be they're close, some folks pulled an all-nighter last night working on it.

But no cigar yet. :(

You could always root, try the 2.1 leak, and if it doesn't work great for you, then just go with the official release (assuming that a newer version of the 2.1 build isn't available). You'd lose root, but at least you'd know that the leak wasn't gonna do it for you.

Just the time to root, which is pretty much nothing with the latest Fresh Kitchen.

11. simon.ponder

simon.ponder Lurker

I had rooted my phone and flash fresh 2.0d. I was very pleased with the performance, mainly the speed. The only thing I did not like was the bogus city that the HTC weather/clock widget was picking up, as that city was about 60 miles east of me. So, I decided to use the official 2.1 upgrade that Sprint finally released a couple days ago.

I wish I had never done the later. Back to a slow phone is all I received from the upgrade. Also lost several abilities. Now I can not get root access back.

Someone please figure out a hole in the software, so others (I am sure there are others) and myself, can root again, and go back to where we want to be. Rooted and Free.

12. Stepintothedark

Stepintothedark Well-Known Member

Updating now, I don't know how long exactly it took to download the update from HTC, I clicked download then left for the evening...

BUT, I do love how it asks you "are you sure" 3 times lol...

13. Stepintothedark

running mybackup to get all my apps and stuff back... *crossing fingers still*

14. Polo63119

Polo63119 Member

i successfully installed 2.1 but lost all my paid and free applications

i went to market and when i searched for example advanced task killer(4.99) i tried to download but would have to pay again...

any help as i have paid for quite a few

gots to say def impressed with the look/speed of 2.1

15. Stepintothedark

Well I lost all my apps too, but when I logged into the market, for apps that I paid for it just showed "Purchased" hmm...

16. simon.ponder

simon.ponder Lurker

...And now, after working correctly for about a day the GPS/Network is pickup the bogus city. Must be a problem with the base version it is built off of, because the 1.56 that was on there before never had the problem.

So, I wait....

17. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

mine says its not connecting to phone, phone says its connected? DO I need to mount it?

18. DLM

DLM Well-Known Member

I think I solved my own problem, I never installed the software, lol.

doesn't all your apps appear in the market 'My Downloads' section?

19. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

No need to remove the SD card, has nothing to do with the update, many have left it in with no issues

20. Davii

Davii Newbie

Took me about 20 minutes yesterday. Been playing with it for 29 hours now, love it. Very happy with this update.

21. chuhsi

chuhsi Well-Known Member

Why is my dialer SOOOO freaking laggy? My 1.5 root with gumbo was much faster than the official 2.1

22. Michaelvg1

Michaelvg1 Member

So if I download this update, I will lose all my data?????
    Any solutions? The Desktop software is not the best for backing up and transfering back to the phone.

23. nelly48237

nelly48237 Lurker

when doing the update. mine go through the whole process, but it gets stuck looking for bootloader. can anyone help me with this?

edit: cancel this, I got it to upload

24. DFRESH

DFRESH Android Enthusiast

when you update you will lose everything...except cell phone numbers since they're backed up in your google account...

I say you should root 1st and slap a 2.1 based ROM instead though, if you do the update...you won't be able to root it because there's no root access for 2.1 right now..

25. andrewcool

andrewcool Lurker

I know, anyone have any solutions to this problem?

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews