• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official HTC Hero 2.1 Update now (5/19) on Sprint.com

Finally, the new release.

Let the b:mad:tching about bugs & missing features commence!

Oh, and for you gambling types, the over/under on the first post asking when we're going to get FroYo is 31 posts.

As for me, I'm holding onto root, since everything points to this release being exactly the same as the 2.1 leak that came out last week. Nothing new to see here.

Upvote 0
Glad its finally here... but I'm still going to wait for a dev to make a ROM of the official... my BIGGEST thing is that the lag is eliminated in the keyboard

It looks like this and last weeks leak are identical. I'm using Flipz Fresh 2.1.1

I was able to speed things up a good bit by disabling Facebook autosync (Menu/Settings/Accounts & Sync). This seems to keep a process called com.htc.bgp from running on my phone. Once I did that, everything seems faster, although not quite as fast as 2.0d. Much less lag moving around. Worth a shot.

There is more info on Flipz geekfor me site, in the FAQ. Number 1 question, "Why is my Android phone running so slow?"

Upvote 0
So now, how do I go through the process of backing up apps? Thats is the only thing I care about, since all of my contacts are synced with google.

There are apps on the market to back them up. Not sure if they all require root or not. Astro file manager backs them up (but doesn't seem to restore them so they can be updated through the market), titanium backup backs them up (but I believe it requires root)

Upvote 0
Of course I didn't bring my USB cable to work with me today. I feel like the kid who didn't get his permission slipped signed. Sigh.

agreed.........

Ditto. I guess the good news is that HOPEFULLY traffic will have eased on the site & we'll have an easier time downloading it than those doing it now.

Back to reality, everyone will go home & crash the site lol :p

Upvote 0
Not to make a big stink again, but how can Live wallpapers and some of the other features of 2.1 not be included? It doesn't make sense to me. It's not really 2.1 at that point if you ask me, especially if you're not getting all the bells and whistles other people have.

Either limitations on the hardware of our phone, or they are holding onto some items to make the EVO even more appealing.

I'm staying on Fresh 2.0d until the glitches on 2.1.1 and/or Fresh Toast are fixed.

Upvote 0
Not to make a big stink again, but how can Live wallpapers and some of the other features of 2.1 not be included? It doesn't make sense to me. It's not really 2.1 at that point if you ask me, especially if you're not getting all the bells and whistles other people have.

Not sure about things like friendstream and such.

Pretty sure that this is a trade off with the Sense UI. With root and a dev ROM, you can run live wallpapers, but not with Sense enabled.

Remember, other phones may have their own bells & whistles, but they don't all have Sense.

Oh, and FYI, live wallpapers aren't really that much to get excited over on our phone. I think we need a bit more horsepower to really appreciate them. Just my opinion though.

Upvote 0
I'm considering running Fresh 2.0d for the time being until everything is confirmed to be smoothed over with the official 2.1...plus my download through Filezilla keeps failing due to the server being packed with everyone getting it lol...is it possible to run the RUU to go from Fresh 2.0d to the official 2.1 or do you have to run nandroid?

Upvote 0
I'm considering running Fresh 2.0d for the time being until everything is confirmed to be smoothed over with the official 2.1...plus my download through Filezilla keeps failing due to the server being packed with everyone getting it lol...is it possible to run the RUU to go from Fresh 2.0d to the official 2.1 or do you have to run nandroid?

check out the mirrored thread in another post here. It's 100x faster

Upvote 0

If I understand correctly, you can run RUU on any phone (rooted or otherwise) and it will update it to the official 2.1. However, once you run the RUU, you will not be able to root and/or go back until the new kernel has been breached to allow rooting.

Of course, if you're rooted and running 2.0d, you wouldn't need to run RUU to get 2.1, just flash a copy of it from xda. RUU doesn't seem to gain you anything, except all of the Sprint applications, which may or may not be useful to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones