• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official HTC Inspire Gingerbread Update Rumor Thread

hello fellow inspire users...irtst things first.....im on my thire inspire in 3 months, 1st one...glass was coming off in the first two weeks....2nd one..BRICK! 7vibration code....this one is doing good(crossing fingers)...i will say that the only gripe that i have otherwise is battery life lake everyone else....I WANT GINGERBREAD! and i aint talkin cookies! att...please stop screwing with our emotions!i will not root my phone..cause if i would have...u do the math on how much i would have spent on new units...P.S. att...your reps dont know ish! please train them instead of letting them get info from mags or blogs!

CAN I GET A HELL YEA!

You can get it from tgis thread... It's not a root.

Upvote 0
i've had this same problem.
there is a simple but quite annoying way to fix this. just go to that message and press the number and a menu should pop up that says "Verify the phone number"
and the following options should come up
-Call
-send message
-open contact

select open contact and then head back into the message, that contact should appear in place of the number.

Are you using the stock app? Handcent seems to work fine.

Upvote 0
still having gps issues i got it to lock in really fast yesterday for half the day then out of no where it wont lock in at all, searching all the time, checked satalites and there are 0. also tobys link says its 269 my computer downloads say 263

I don't mean bad but my iphone 3gs had a dead on accurate gps in the google maps... My inspire never seem to give me my exact location. I noticed that th GB update put me a little closer but still not as good as my iphone. Anybody who can show me what to I would really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Whatever issues that I had, have seemed to fix themselves. My battery life has improved from what it was on Froyo...id say about 10-15 percent...nothing crazy, but pretty good nonetheless. The one thing Ive noticed is that the way picture messages are sent has been changed. Back on Froyo, every pic that I would send or receive would be in that crappy slide-show format. Now its like any other MMS! I dont know if this was from the GB update, but it seems to have fixed itself right after I updated. I had a question. When I would check my running aps before the update, they would be around that 80-100MB range. Now after the GB update, they are in the 180-200MB range. I dont know why this is, I think Ive downloaded 1 new app since the update and it doesnt show it as running...

Sorry, one last question...Someone said that updating manually voids the warranty. That cant be true right? Its not rooting your phone, its just downloading what HTC temporarily had on their website.

Upvote 0
When is gb coming?? I have heard soon since I got my inspire. I'm ready for it. Also, my friend got his about two weeks before I got mine and his inspire already had the unknown sources option there. I was on phone with ATT all damn day and after the fifth person I got I finally found someone who knew about pushing me the sideloading update. And I still have NOT gotten it. Any advice

Upvote 0
Whatever issues that I had, have seemed to fix themselves. My battery life has improved from what it was on Froyo...id say about 10-15 percent...nothing crazy, but pretty good nonetheless. The one thing Ive noticed is that the way picture messages are sent has been changed. Back on Froyo, every pic that I would send or receive would be in that crappy slide-show format. Now its like any other MMS! I dont know if this was from the GB update, but it seems to have fixed itself right after I updated. I had a question. When I would check my running aps before the update, they would be around that 80-100MB range. Now after the GB update, they are in the 180-200MB range. I dont know why this is, I think Ive downloaded 1 new app since the update and it doesnt show it as running...

Sorry, one last question...Someone said that updating manually voids the warranty. That cant be true right? Its not rooting your phone, its just downloading what HTC temporarily had on their website.

Should not void warranty since it was released by HTC, I dunno but it works great on mine. Loving the new notification and the speed.

Upvote 0
I'm overseas, so I've contacted HTC support by email, and this is their answer:

I understand about receiving the Android 2.3 update not being in an AT&T service area. I know how important it is to have your device up to date. I will be happy to assist you. As long as your device is activated in some fashion you will be able to receive the update. When the update is ready for your device, you will receive a notification alerting the Gingerbread update is ready for install. Once the update is released it may take up to 5 weeks for you to receive the notification. You may also manually check for updates by going to Settings> System Updates> HTC Software Update> Check Now. If there is an update available, you will be able to follow the prompts to start the update process.

I'm not sure what they meant by activated in some fashion tho.
:thinking:

Anyways, keeping an eye on HTC downloads page.

Upvote 0
I just had the sms app bug people are talking about happen to me with a twist.

It's showing contact name on the main part of the sms screen where it shows all your convos/threads but once inside one thread it shows the # twice but no name. Other threads are still showing names.

It also did the thing again to me of sending a message (to that person without a name) and taking the last word of the message and making a new draft to him with only that word.

Here's a new one, I didn't get a notification for this but sometime between last night and now a message my wife sent me on May 1st has showed up in my sms app. Shows read and actually shows 5/1/11. How'd that get there/survive a wipe? I usually delete all sms after a few days, I wouldn't have had that message on my phone in 3 months.

Upvote 0
#############################################################
Software
HTC INSPIRE™ 4G FOR AT&T GINGERBREAD ROM UPDATE | 08.08.2011
Starting August 4th 2011, HTC will be rolling out a system update for the HTC Inspire 4G.

This update will only be available for AT&T HTC Inspire 4G Customers and will be sent to the device over the air. Once the release is ready, HTC Inspire 4G users will receive a notification on their device advising them of this update and provide instructions to receive and install it. Users can proactively check for this update by going to Home>Menu>Settings> AT&T Software Update > HTC Wi-Fi software update > Check now. The system update can also be downloaded below and manually applied to the device. less

This system update includes:

Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread
New HTC Sense™ features
Updated Application Tray features
Updated FriendStream™ features
Added Quick Settings in the Notifications window
Improved Power Management function
Improved media experience
Various minor bug fixes

Manual system update instructions:
NOTE: Performing the system update manually will delete all information from the device. Ensure all information is backed up before proceeding. Information saved on the microSD card will not be affected.

Performing the ROM Update:

Download and save the HTC Inspire 4G™ for AT&T Gingerbread ROM update to your PC.
Connect your device to your PC via the supplied USB cable. NOTE: You must have HTC Sync installed on your PC in order to run the update.
On the Connect To PC pop-up on your device, select HTC Sync.
Once connected to HTC Sync, locate the HTC Inspire 4G™ for AT&T ROM Update that you downloaded and double-click on the file to launch the system update wizard.
Follow all of the system update wizard instructions shown on your PC.
Once the update is complete, click Finish in the Wizard and the device will reboot.
Once the device reboots, the initial setup wizard will appear.
Once the initial setup process is complete, the device is ready for use.
Download (269 MB)

For those who don't believe: http://www.htc.com/us/support/inspire-att/downloads/

Apparently it's available OTA too.

Upvote 0
This sucks! i was out side for 5 minutes and it finally saw 1 satellite and after a few moments it lost it.

Anyone know how to roll back to the original software?

Have you tried installing gps status or gps test and clearing/refreshing the agps data? gps status will do this for you when you start it. It's buttons you have to push yourself in menu - settings of gps test.

Though I'm guessing you have something like that if you know about # of satellites, I don't think maps or nav tells you that. Kinda sucks about some of the bugs.

Upvote 0
I have GPS test and Essentials installed.

I just got off the phone with HTC support. They stated i try keep GPS test on for 18 minutes and this will triangulate the signals to get me a reading, WTF???? that should only take seconds to do.

I asked if there was a way to roll back the software and they stated no. Looks like i am going back to att for swap out. I will just tell it not to install GB when the notification gets pushed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones