• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official "I will have my Droid X in my hands at such and such date" thread***

Well, nothing to worry about any more. Got the DX in my hands, activated and with a little card that states, "Motorola would like to extend a spacial thank you for attending our event. You are one of the first to own a DROID X by Motorola. We hole you enjoy your gift." so needless to say this is not a loaner phone. I will play with it today and put up some real world thoughts as the day goes on. I dont write reviews but will test. I have recently had the N1, 3GS, and DI so got a pretty fair group to compare against.

How is the screen size? Too big just right? Glad everything worked out lucky! Haha

Upvote 0
Overall the screen size is perfect, coming from the Dinc it seems huge at first but is perfect sitting on my desk. First off, there is a small amount of lag or stutter when pulling up menues or changing home screens, but i mean small, nothing that makes it unusable or even very noticible, but it is not quite as smooth at the 3gs.
Colors look just a tad washed out but i have not played with pretty much any setting at this point.
I did connect it to my Eclipse CD player in my truck and it connected first try, and stayed connected.
Ran google maps with no problems, only thing is i was on the phone and the navigation voice came thru the headset speaker, the caller did not hear it so no big deal, just surprised me. The "home" button does wake the phone.
I am not sure how i feel about the actual physical buttons, as long as they dont crap out i think they will be good.
Pictures are great, just snapped a couple of a house and an employee commented on the clairty of the pics when i got back to the office.
LOVE the ability to resize the widgets. I do miss the Sense widgets for bookmarks and friendstream but will have to find alternatives.

THE BATTERY SEEMS GREAT. came 70% full, ran GPS bluetooth wifi, pics, 15 min of calls, played a little, web over wifi all that for about 2 1/2 hours and still at 50%. Dinc would have been half dead already under those conditions.

I was also orig worried about the bump in the back where the camera is but it is not nearly as noticible as some of the pics make it look. It is actually very nice becuase my finger rests under it and gives it a place to rest naturally

I know these are just ramblings and my first impressions but i am very happy with the phone and not hesitating the purchase at all. Took it into a verizon store and they were blown away, the employees there had not even seen it yet. needless to say there were no invisishields ot cases yet. i am trying to fit a HD2 screen shield today for temp use.

Reactions: ohnono
Upvote 0
Nice. Sounds like it has potential. I'd be interested to find out more about the "washed out" screen thing... I was wondering if that's just because we're coming from our super-saturated Incredible AMOLEDs, or whether it was genuinely like that. I think the EVO had a similar look, but I was hoping for better color saturation from the Droid X, however, I must admit I probably wouldn't have even noticed the slightly more washed-out look of LCD screens if it wasn't for the Incredible!

Upvote 0
glad everything worked out. is it possible for you to see if the bootloader is signed? It still hasn't been verified yet.

I could be totally wrong about this, but I'm assumig that someone would have to root the phone before you can tell if the bootloader is encrypted or not. I'm not familar with the process at all, so I could be totally wrong! But if it was as simple as looking at a menu we would have already heard one way or another.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah, and swype is much better on the DX than the Inc. no issues at all probably due to increased area.

Cant find "mobile package tracker" in the market which i use everyday in my bat business.

and if someone can tell me how to check the sig on the bootloader i can try, i am not sure how to do that. roote dmy N1 but not the Dinc so not super familiar with root

i do miss the 3d animation in the app tray but will forget about it in a day or so.

i guess the screen is just different than the dinc, maybe not washed out just different

Upvote 0
what29 - Glad to hear that text when zoomed is legible and not fuzzy - which is what to expect on an LCD display, so I'm wondering if the person on Howard Forums saying it was fuzzy when zoomed might have a bum display or might just be making stuff up :)
Also, sometimes you stare at phone for long enough, you do see differences, as subtle as they may be.

Upvote 0
The physical buttons are set up in pairs. The menu and home key are one piece and the back and search button are anohter piece. They each press individually upon their own button below but there are not 4 seperate buttons, if that makes any sense. immaging a keyboard, the "a and s" buttons are 1 piece, not seperate, they rock from side to side when depressed. They dont feel cheap, just not the same quality as the rest of the phone.

The speaker both earpiece and speakerphone are great and call quality is much better than my dinc. i hated the muddled sound i got with the Dinc but this is srytal clear.

Volume is very loud, had to turn down, almost like an old school Nextel Phone, those things were loud, this seems to approach those levels, but in a good way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones