• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*[Official]* Ice cream sandwich!!!! Discussion

Upvote 0
Going a little off topic, I honestly see no point in ICS. I don't know why Android wants to mash up Tablet and Phone OS into one OS when that one OS is going to be either running on a phone or on a tablet. Unless this is for development purposes, but I don't know anything about that.

They're trying to limit fragmentation and present users with a unified system on their phones and tablets.

Upvote 0
i doubt an official update. assuming the rate our technology keeps increasing then by the time an ICS update comes in a year the inspire will probably be a dinosaur phone. if not to us, at least to the corporate heads at HTC when they judge the profits to be made by updating a phone.

if you do want ICS i would just go with rooting the phone and getting it. i think cynanogenmod v8 is supposed to be 4.0.

Upvote 0
i doubt an official update. assuming the rate our technology keeps increasing then by the time an ICS update comes in a year the inspire will probably be a dinosaur phone. if not to us, at least to the corporate heads at HTC when they judge the profits to be made by updating a phone.

if you do want ICS i would just go with rooting the phone and getting it. i think cynanogenmod v8 is supposed to be 4.0.

Cyanogenmod 9 will be ICS.

Upvote 0
Do I understand that it won't come until the end of the year?

Also will I have to unroot my phone? (I'm on stock rom)

Is it possible to unroot? I've been confused about that.

If you want the official release from HTC/ATT, then yeah, you probably will have to wait until the end of the year. And yes you would need to unroot your phone to get it. However, I'm sure there will be fully functioning custom ROMs available before the official release. And those would be free of all the bloatware that ATT will add.

You can use the AAHK to unroot the phone. There is an option to "Return to Stock" and Radio S-ON.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones