• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*[Official]* Ice cream sandwich!!!! Discussion

A lot of people are exited about this but there are some things to keep in mind. I have tried out several versions of ICS and the only particular advantage that i can see for us is a data usage feature that you will find in the settings. Other than that you are not going to see a huge difference from gingerbread accept for the way that it looks and the way that you interface with it. Honestly rather than waiting for this update for the inspire I would wait for your upgrade and get into an LTE capable phone with ICS stock. These devices are coming soon anyway. If you have your heart set on ATT sending you an official ICS update I very much recommend factory resetting your device BEFORE you do an update like this btw if it indeed ever really does happen. The initial release is sure to be buggy anyway and if you have apps on your phone that are not very well developed then it could jam you up.

Long story short is that ICS is not going to make your inspire any more of a super phone than it is already. If you are just exited about staying on the forefront and having the biggest baddest thing on your phone you already missed out on getting ICS before anyone else. Several of us have tried 10 or 12 versions of it already :) Get into an LTE phone down the road and when it comes time we will all be drooling over 5.0 Jellybean ;P

Upvote 0
Thanks. I was hoping there was a way to unroot. It's been a while since I ran AAHK...I thought it said not to run it again, but apparently that was only so you wouldn't try to root it twice.

While I haven't put a custom rom on my phone yet, ICS might cause me to do that.

You won't need to go completely custom rom or de-root, just reject the ota update when it comes and within a few days someone will have posted a rooted stock ics rom that you can flash with clockworkmod.

Upvote 0
There are a few custom ICS roms out there for the Inspire, I recommend the AOSPx build by existz, its what Im running and its pretty awesome. But the HTC list posted above does say the DesireHD, so I wouldnt be shocked if HTC released it. I would probably unroot for that, since I love sense.

Upvote 0
If you go to the HTC website you will find no mention of the Inspire 4g. You cannot find it on the support page and if you do a search on their site, it will come up with one result that makes no mention of the Inspire 4g. It is like this phone never existed.

My hope, and I hate that four letter word, is that because this is the same phone as the Desire HD it will be getting the update. The reason I say this is that when you are on the Google Play Marketplace and purchase an app, you are asked what device you want to install it to and the phone comes up as the Desire HD. Also when I pair my BlueAnt Q2 headset to any of my phones it says the model of the device you connected to, mine that I have are the Inspire 4g and it says Desire HD, the Atrix 2 and it says MB865 and a crappy Blackberry Curve 8300 and it says Blackberry 8300.

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I'm definitely interested in checking out the upgrade since I've heard there will not be anynew software updates in the future, but I have a couple of questions for those who have done this upgrade:

Can the inspire really handle this without slowing the phone down?
Does the change to ics drain the battery faster?

I.think that's it for now. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Shameless advertising, but I found an ICS rom that has almost full functionality. Video Cam requires 3rd party app, and some glitches, but so far (15 minutes of use lol) so good. Yes, it does need root. I wouldn't care much about the stock camera app anyways, its complete crap compared to Sense camera apps (although I have yet to find an even decent Sense camera replacement).

[ROM/MOD][The Family]Redemption v1.1-Alpha 13r2 - 5/21/12 "We are Family" - xda-developers

Upvote 0
HTC Inspire? Either you are lying, trolling, or both. The Inspire will never get ICS, you need to root and flash a ROM.
Actually, there will be official ICS + Sense 3.6 for the Inspire. HTC is building it, but AT&T isn't going to push it out. You would still need to root, but it's better than flashing all those ROMs, with some functions working, others not. I'm rockin the PrimoS ROM. It's ICS and Sense FOUR, but the camera and flash don't work, and the speeds are pretty pathetic... Perfect example. My point: it's still good for us who are rooted :D

Upvote 0
If you go to the HTC website you will find no mention of the Inspire 4g. You cannot find it on the support page and if you do a search on their site, it will come up with one result that makes no mention of the Inspire 4g. It is like this phone never existed.

My hope, and I hate that four letter word, is that because this is the same phone as the Desire HD it will be getting the update. The reason I say this is that when you are on the Google Play Marketplace and purchase an app, you are asked what device you want to install it to and the phone comes up as the Desire HD. Also when I pair my BlueAnt Q2 headset to any of my phones it says the model of the device you connected to, mine that I have are the Inspire 4g and it says Desire HD, the Atrix 2 and it says MB865 and a crappy Blackberry Curve 8300 and it says Blackberry 8300.

Just my 2 cents.
You're correct. The Inspire is the AT&T version of Europe's DHD. They're EXACTLY the same, practically twins, so everything that works on the DHD will work on the Inspire. I've tried, it works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones