• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official ics out now!!!

Would you rather have a quick update when it isn't ready and end up with a pretty brick? Give them time to work out bugs that hadn't shown up with their initial testing but did when they started to roll it out and let them get it right. After you get the upgrade you will see that it was worth the wait.

I've read that there are some bugs people are dealing with after taking the OTA release as it is, such as a wonky GPS. So perhaps they should have worked on the release even longer?

Upvote 0
Near London ... 7 May ... and I still have not been offered the ICS update. Not rooted, all standard stuff, have the "Iconia TAB Update enhancement" app installed. Is there anything else I need to do? Grateful for any help.

Later: OK, found instructions on the Acer site and completed the upgrade. All seems to work so far.

Glad to hear you got the update. :) How is your GPS? Does it lock onto satellites quickly?

Upvote 0
I have a rare model Tab A500 8GB. My ICS downloaded, installed and ran well...for 1 day. My tablet is now locked up and won't boot past the "acer" splash screen. Have tried hard reset and various other approaches.

Will be sending it back to Acer (still under warrantee).

I suspect that a hard reset beforehand would be the best approach to installing the new OS. I realize not everyone is having problems and no one is having the problem I'm having, so...

Iwill keep you posted re: how this all turns out. Until it's fixed, I will really miss it. 1st tablet and have had it since November, but, like a microwave oven, I don't know how I ever got along without it. IT'S EXTREMELY PAINFUL!!!

Upvote 0
14th of May and still no update to ICS. My Iconia A500 is registered with Acer, is still under warranty and running the latest version of HC 3.2.1

Build number is: Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2

I understand that Acer may want to manage service calls by staging updates, but this is getting a bit ridiculous and the information posted on various websites is conflicting. One thing I hope is that Acer does not delay upgrades to ICS for tablets still under warranty as mine is, to avoid major warranty costs.

I already decided to buy a different brand netbook than Acer for the wife and will probably not buy another Acer product if this doesn't go well.

Upvote 0
14th of May and still no update to ICS. My Iconia A500 is registered with Acer, is still under warranty and running the latest version of HC 3.2.1

Can people who have the ICS upgrade please post SN to see how much longer I have to wait in the queue ?

I understand that Acer may want to manage service calls by staging updates, but this is getting a bit ridiculous and the information posted on various websites is conflicting. One thing I hope is that Acer does not delay upgrades to ICS for tablets still under warranty as mine is, to avoid major warranty costs.

I already decided to buy a different brand netbook than Acer for the wife and will probably not buy another Acer product if this doesn't go well.

Try this. Go to the market and search for Iconia Tab Update Enhancement. Update/install the app. Check for update. (Settings/About Tablet/System Update)

Upvote 0
WOW !!

Here I am, with a notice for an update......yes. Effin' finally :cool:

So, I run the update, after wiping all data to factory. After waiting for the process, the home screen pops up.

WHY THE EFF DO I HAVE A HONEYCOMB BACKGROUND ??????

I navigate to the system info. Low and behold, I was updated from 3.2 to 3.2.1

All this frigging time, and a fu**ing slap in the face. :argh:

I understand you have to probably upgrade in sequence, but with others getting their ICS, and me just NOW getting 3.2.1, this officially concludes my business with Acer. :eviltongue:

Upvote 0
WOW !!

Here I am, with a notice for an update......yes. Effin' finally :cool:

So, I run the update, after wiping all data to factory. After waiting for the process, the home screen pops up.

WHY THE EFF DO I HAVE A HONEYCOMB BACKGROUND ??????

I navigate to the system info. Low and behold, I was updated from 3.2 to 3.2.1

All this frigging time, and a fu**ing slap in the face. :argh:

I understand you have to probably upgrade in sequence, but with others getting their ICS, and me just NOW getting 3.2.1, this officially concludes my business with Acer. :eviltongue:

I feel for you man!

Upvote 0
I feel for you man!

Thanks man, but some good news.

I don't know what is going on with Acer, but within two hours of updating to 3.2.1 , after a reboot, and nearly setting everything back up again because of the prior wipe, I get a notice.

Another update ready. ;)

I don't know why it took so long for 3.2.1 to show up for me, but it seems that that may have been the reason for the delay on ICS. I wasn't even aware of 3.2.1 until this debacle, but after that I started browsing and reading and realized that version has been out for some time. Very weird. You would think I would have received it a while back especially with me checking for updates every day for the last month or so.

Anyways. I wiped my tablet again, prior to the ICS update just so there is nothing interfering with the update, or running into an unstable install as it appears others have had.

Well, I now love my tablet..........so far. I haven't found a single bug as of yet (though Opera seems a little quirky on it). It is performing as well, or better than my Galaxy Nexus on ICS <rooted stock>. Extremely smooth, much quicker boot and shutdown cycles. Wifi seems to perform better and connect quicker, though I did have one copy operation freeze on me.

With ICS on both my devices, I now have uniformity. It was confusing and frustrating for me to bounce from the Nexus to the a500 occasionally before. Now it's a breeze.

Now I just have to root it. :thumbup: and she may have a longer life around this house than I thought this morning.:cool:

Upvote 0
Try this. Go to the market and search for Iconia Tab Update Enhancement. Update/install the app. Check for update. (Settings/About Tablet/System Update)

Thanks... I actually tried to download and install the Update Enhancement from both the Acer website and the Play Store and failed 5 times.

It turns out anti-virus apk I was trying out blocked the install. I turned off (and eventually deleted the anti-virus apk) and manually installed the Update Enhancement using the most recent install file I downloaded.

Worked perfectly and had ICS 4.0.3 installed within 20 minutes. Everything seems to work well and internet connections seem smoother. Also installed the Google Chrome Browser (beta) and netflix 1.7.1 apk. Both work well, although Facebook doesn't seem to get along with Chrome.

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
Thanks... I actually tried to download and install the Update Enhancement from both the Acer website and the Play Store and failed 5 times.

It turns out anti-virus apk I was trying out blocked the install. I turned off (and eventually deleted the anti-virus apk) and manually installed the Update Enhancement using the most recent install file I downloaded.

Worked perfectly and had ICS 4.0.3 installed withimn 20 minutes. Everything seems to work well and internet connections seem smoother. Also installed the Google Chrome Browser (beta) and netflix 1.7.1 apk. Both work well, although Facebook doesn't seem to get along with Chrome.

Glad to hear it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones