• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official* iPad Thread

I have a macbook pro, so I don't consider myself to be a hater per se, but I am really dissapointed in the reveal. I expected something more powerful, and something that has more uses. They are starting to turn into an app only sort of company. Im affraid they are going to start making laptops where everything is app based, I much prefer it be open like osx or 7. To think an over clocked droid can reach 1.1ghz, and a nexus has 1 ghz yet the Ipad only has 1ghz astonishes me. I bet that machine couldn't even run osx. Its just very sad that they didnt make a powerful device like they usually do. I see troubles for this, the only market for it is people who dont know the full potential of a real laptop, a multitasking system. I would get an HP netbook or the lenevo u1 over this anyday. I also prefer the practicality of a real keyboard, but i understand this is a tab so there sint much to do about it. Also, it should of been named Islate.

Upvote 0
Honestly, this thing sucks. Apple is looking to get into the netbook market with this thing, and are failing. yes it is touch screen with multi touch, but these are its downfalls:

1. Apple
2. AT&T
3. 1GHz Processor
4. 64gb HDD
5. Virtual keyboard
6. No built in screen protector like thing
7. Awkward
8. Pricey...
9. No USB support (flash drives, etc.)

While a $299 netbook has:

1. USB
2. 1.66GHz processor (i3 coming soon tough)
3. 160gb HDD
4. Keyboard
5. Top to cover screen from scratches
6. USB 3.0 (summer)

etc etc.

Upvote 0
Ughh... the name, such a bad choice! All this hype about an iSlate (which at least sounds cool) and then we end up with a feminine product sounding iPad!

I too have a Mac Book Pro and love it to death (about as much as my Droid) but cannot see myself buying an iPad anytime soon. From the launch videos and descriptions on the net all I can see is a bigger iPod Touch/iPhone, and I already have one of those lying around somewhere (never gets much use since the Droid can do everything it can, if not more).

However, if Apple can roll out flash support and multitasking capability I think we might be in business. I would like to have a smaller computer/tablet for just walking around the house browsing the web and what not, but I at least need to be able to watch embedded videos, flash animations, etc. On the flip side, the 10 hours of battery life and 30 days of standby capability sound great, and I hear the processor is staggeringly quick.

Upvote 0
Ughh... the name, such a bad choice! All this hype about an iSlate (which at least sounds cool) and then we end up with a feminine product sounding iPad!
LMAO, didn't think of it that way, but funny as hell. Whats ironic is that I posted that it will be called that a while back not knowing that it would actually be called iPad. Maybe I should play the lottery.

TS out

Upvote 0
Why do people have love the Droid and hate everything else. I love my Droid for having a powerful computer and phone in my pocket yet would still love to have an iPad too. i don't want to read and surf on the Droid all the time. And even though i have a netbook I just want a good screen and surf on the couch. With WiFi tether on the Droid and this i would be good on trips. I have an Archos 5 w/ android but would like something a bit larger. The cost is not bad and is a nice spot below a laptop and a phone. I have a 27" mac for my main and powerful daily user and would love to have one to use and read on.

Upvote 0
Why do people have love the Droid and hate everything else. I love my Droid for having a powerful computer and phone in my pocket yet would still love to have an iPad too. i don't want to read and surf on the Droid all the time. And even though i have a netbook I just want a good screen and surf on the couch. With WiFi tether on the Droid and this i would be good on trips. I have an Archos 5 w/ android but would like something a bit larger. The cost is not bad and is a nice spot below a laptop and a phone. I have a 27" mac for my main and powerful daily user and would love to have one to use and read on.
Cuz my droid is better than an Ipad thats why. Go ahead and spend a ton on a gadget that you might use like twice a week for an hour...

Upvote 0
Overpriced, oversized, iphone. You have to pay for 3G network!? and they're comparing it with other e-readers....ridiculous in my opinion. No e-ink which completely makes it useless as an ereader

Agree 100%, this is in no way a viable replacement for an e-reader. It would be cool for general web surfing but if you try and read am e-book on this, your eyes will hate you for it.

Upvote 0
To each their own. We all have our different uses cases and i use my droid and ipod touch all day long. And I will spend the cash i work hard for on something i want. If you don't see your self using something like this than that's cool. but i would like to see if it works for my use and would love to just have a device that is about the size of my netbook to just use when and where and have a e-reader too. so i am returning my Archos and skipping getting a Nook and see if the iPad is worth it to me.

some people don't think it would work as an e-reader but if you are like me you spend most of your day at a computer reading forums and working at our jobs anyways. I don't need a device to last me 10 days just though the day for the most part. i can charge it durring the day when working and in the car or at night, if it gets 10 hours of battery life it will work for me.

If I come off as a fanboy then i might have started to become a fan because I like what I have bought from them. Every gadget i have has some down falls but we over come them, Rooting our Droids, jailbreaking an iPhone or iPod Touch or whatever you enjoy. I would not give up my Droid but it's nice to have new toys!

Upvote 0
Cuz my droid is better than an Ipad thats why. Go ahead and spend a ton on a gadget that you might use like twice a week for an hour...

In fairness, it costs about the same as a Droid if it's unsubsidized, or an N1.

I'll consider getting one, I think it could provide an interesting level of utility if it syncs quickly and seamlessly with my primary computer. A tablet I can grab from a dock and have all the documentation I need at my fingerprints for a meeting might be interesting.

But for that to be true, there are a fewfeatures I would like to see:
1. Easy note taking, ideally via a stylus. Microsoft's Tablet PCs were mostly a failure, but OneNote on a Tablet was a fantastic utility for people who go from room to room, meeting to meeting, and want to be able to easily take notes, organize them, index them, and search them.
2. Bluetooth - it should sync seamlessly and wirelessly with my computer, whether Mac or PC. And it should do it automatically, and keep changes from either side synced. So if I grab the iPad (egad, I hate that name, why not iSlate?) and leave the room, it should always be in sync. Even cooler? A seamless, secure way to sync via WiFi OR 3G. So no matter where I am, everything stays in sync.
3. Long battery life, at least enough to make it thru the day. Sounds like they have this one.

One more thing I would LIKE to have, though Apple may try to block, is the ability to read eBooks I already own and have on my Kindle. The Amazon Kindle app should make this work, but who knows if they'll try to keep you locked into iBooks?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones