• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official* iPad Thread

Pretty disappointed by the iPad release. The same disappointment I had when the N1 was released. Here, you have two companies (APPL, GOOG), loads of money, brilliant engineers and they release these ho-hum products (iPad, N1, respectively). The iPad is the biggest of the two tragedies. First, have they not learned from their at&t relationship with the iPhone? MicroSIM? That means iPhone users will require TWO data plans! The iPad doesn't come with a camera (for photos or webcam), there are no ports (e.g. HDMI) unless you go out and by their $30 dongle... Steve Jobs spoke of the virtual keyboard as "AMAZING!" and yet they release a wireless one with a clunky block adapter. Brilliant! Not only that, but the iPad attached to the keyboard dock is in a profile orientation, instead of landscape! We still don't know if it can multi-task (which, since it's based off the iPhone OS, probably doesn't). And you spend 20 minutes of your event talking about iWork?!? This must be the month of the dud products: N1 and iPad.

Maybe this will set us up for a February to have great products, like the Zune HD phone, and WinMo7 mobile. After seeing this iPad, I'm actually more excited about the HP Slate PC. At least it has a real wide-screen LCD, not some bogus 1024x768 IPS LCD, which by the way is a huge power drainer. And what's the spec on this Apple A4 chip? 1GHz. I heard it was ARM based. This stupid product can't even run Flash! What happened to the proximity touch sensor that Apple just got their patent approved for? The iPad 1.0 ain't worth the attention. Wait until 2.0 when all of the features you know APPL has will be included.

By the way, for those who have a Kindle, it's officially dead.

Upvote 0
I disagree here, e-ink is the selling point of the kindle, it's far easier on the eyes than a computer screen. That and the ridiculously long battery life. It would be a mistake to try to market this as an e-reader replacement.

That may very well be true, and I don't disagree on the benefits of e-ink. However, at the end of the day, it only matters where the books are. Amazon's business models are not friendly to publishers. There's a reason why it is a huge boon for Apple to announce, what, SIX major publishers, with Random House being the largest and yet in talks with Apple. I mean, this is a huge win for Apple and pawning off the iPad as a viable e-reader. They're offering publishers a price point that they can't refuse, instead of getting robbed over at Amazon! Don't get me wrong, I think the Kindle will still find its way into the hands of some consumers, but when you're talking about the Legions of Apple fanboys, if Amazon is asking me to pay between $260-$490 for the Kindle and I can pay just a little more for an iPad that has more features AND STILL GET THE E-READER & BOOKS... guess where I'm going?

Upvote 0
This has to be one of those products only made for apple fan boys. There's no point to it. It's suppose to be like be like a net book but is more like an over sized iPod Touch. It has no multitoich, can't view sites with flash which is the majority of sites, the key bored is ackward and apple says it's unlocked but uses a micro sim card that only works on AT&T! If you still have an itouch there is no reason for this. It's easier just to use the banes and noble app to read books. If you don't have an itouch a net book is a lot cheaper and you'll have more functionality. I can only see apple fan boys seeing this as a must have.
@craigrn16: you're absolutely right! where is this device going to fit in when they've already a mac and an iphone which can do alot more.
The best place I can think of is,over their neck like an adornment or a BIG clock. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Actually I think the size and form factor and battery life are GREAT. It also happens to roll with an ARM processor. I think it should have been ATOM even if it needed to be a little thicker and have less battery life. BUT since it is ARM...I think Android should be put on it. Or even webOS.

Why?
Because the crippled version of OS X can't multi-task.
Because Flash support is more likely for Android (or webOS) way sooner.
Because it'd be cool...

Ok I'm out of reasons, but those are two very very very good reasons that are really true. Think about the Archos 5...But now think, slimmer with a bigger screen. That is exactly what the iPad is and that is exactly what the iPad competes with.

There's people out there who think it will crush netbooks. WRONG. It is not designed to be a netbook. It uses ARM. Until more linux distros get mature with their support for ARM...Which may never really happen. You aren't going to put a full blown OS on there.

So that leaves the question of which OS to put on a tablet sized MID? I don't think that the crippled version of OS X proved itself valuable for anything other than an iPhone.

Price point is pretty decent too because there's currently nothing else in it's class really except the Archos 5. Which is cheaper and yes has better outputs and other hardware options...BUT lacks the slimness, screen size, and most importantly ... multi-touch.

Upvote 0
Why are we starting an iPAD thread in the Nexus forum, when there is one in the Lounge?

But while this thread is here, my penny's worth is....General fail, not a game-changer, can't multi-task.....so why would somebody want this over a cheaper Netbook?!?

No expandable memory.....

Looks great though & all the Apple fans will buy one. Not sure about the general public though.
@petergdakin: the general public are not that gullible but I can't speak for the iphone fanboy.:thinking:

Upvote 0
I have to disagree, you would probably be using a Moto Razr if Apple never introduced the iphone, iphone forced companies to compete or be left in the dust. Some chose to compete, some chose too sue (cough Nokia).

Yes the iPhone did reinvigorate the smartphone market but it didn't invent it. If the iPhone was never made, something else would have taken its place.

Check this out:
iPhone & LG KE850: separated at birth? -- Engadget

Lg had a complete touchscreen phone called the Prada (UK) released BEFORE the iPhone. Some call it an iPhone clone but doing some research it seemed it was the other way round. Yeah it seems that Apple is the one who ripped off the design.

In any case, had there not been an iPhone, full touchscreen phones would have still evolved (albeit probably at a slower rate) in the US. Also the general smartphone market was already alive and kicking years before the iPhone.

Sure lets give Apple some credit, but lets not get carried away as well.

Upvote 0
Seriously what a waste.... for that price it should have 3ghz 250gig hard drive etc. Who in their right mind would buy this? No usb? And who seriously would think this is better than a netbook? Look at the specs and price difference alone! The 299 netbook vs 1k iTampon comparision should be enough. But for the fanboys, its not. That just proves you fanboys is off your rocker. Anyone who thinks this multi-tasking challenged, archaic slow ass processor, memory-limited , over sized iTouch is better thana netbook despite pure FACT, then here, I'll invent the iCar, stamp an apple logo on it, and sell it for 40k usd, despite the fact you can't turn the wheel and accelerate at the same time, it only has a 1 gallon gas tank, a 5.2hp engine, and call it revolutionary. But hey, ill give it rounded edges and pinch to brake, so its all good. But you fanboys will swear up and down its the best car on the market, even when its compared to mustangs and cameros, and you'll buy it anyway, bc your steve jobs sheep. Have a nice day.
@IOWA; you're perfectly right! even if the ipad was a sanitary pad with a apple logo on it,:eek: the iphone fanboy will still buy in drove.I call them I-sheep.lol':rolleyes:

Upvote 0
this device , like any tablet, is a niche device. Look, you can by a nook or another ereader for about the same, which also cannot be customized, by the way, as Apple products are not made for adding hello kitty wallpapers and such, or you can buy this device, which does it in color, faster, smoother, and does more then the ereaders. this device is for reading books, periodicals, magazines, webpages, photos, drawing, email. Thats it's primary use. No themes, no cameras, yet, but i think it will in next gens. it's not a kids toy. It's not aimed for kids as most Apple products are n't anyway. They are fast, functional, sleek and smooth devices, for people who do not want to tinker. simple as that. There are people who just want to use devices for what they are made for and not re program them, or modify them, or tweak them, or overclock them.

Most people into Android, linux etc etc are not content for such things, it's their nature, Geeks and geekettes. This device is pretty much what i thought it would be. To most geeks, yea it's pretty boreing, but to the people who want to read the paper in the am on the way to work, or browse the web, look at pics sent to them by their kids or grandkids, or a video they did the other day, and then read their books, hey it's golden. Ill say it, its for the old folks...

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
The device is smooth and fast, I actually wanted to like this product. I was looking forward to multitasking though....and it's just a big turn off that it doesn't have it. I mean, if I had a device like this I would definitely want to be able to have my IM program and email running at the same time...or be able to stream music while reading the paper. It's one thing for the iPhone to not have it...but this device is much closer to being a PC (yes Macs are PCs) and I think it's a huge mistake that it doesn't have it. Look around the web, almost every tech site is disappointed with this device and mainly for that reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones