• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Lapdock 100 & 500 Discussion thread

Alrighty, guys. Another cool function discovered for use with the Lapdocks!

Rikomagic MK802 notebook - YouTube

Here's the article:
Motorola Lapdock turns tiny and cheap PCs into notebooks | TG Daily

--Free to the community--
--From Lokifish--
--I'd do this but can't afford it so here it goes--

Completely Remove the dock connector section
Vacuform a replacement insert to hold the MK802 horizontal

OR

Completely Remove the dock connector section
Vacuform a shell to replace dock connector section
Remove the MK802 from it's shell and place it in the new shell

(if any of you do this and make it on a site like hackaday please give credit for the original idea. thanks and happy hacking)

Upvote 0
hi guys,

I want to buy a lapdock 100 for my motorola razr...
but i have a question about it:

can a lapdock 100 support arabic/persian language?

plz explain about it
thanks....

I actually don't know the answer to that, but you can go to the Motorola website and chat with a customer service rep that might be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Upvote 0
Wish us PHOTON users had that problem.

One problem w/the PHOTON-LAPDOCK 500 has been fixed :

Audio now works through the LAPDOCK 500 speakers.

Doubt if we'll see an update to have 100% compatibility w/the PHOTON-LAPDOCK 500 before the ICS upgrade.(Ethernet,VGA,Webcam functionality).

Too bad it's not on clearance like the Lapdock 100, at Verizon stores.

Upvote 0
All the VZW stores in my area have neither one in stock. Only reason I'd be interested again in the 500 is if all functions work w/the PHOTON w/the upcoming ICS/JB update.
Currently,the VGA & ETHERNET ports, along w/the webcam, are inoperable w/the PHOTON 2.3.5/LAPDOCK 500 combination. It's why I sold mine, but, still use the BIONIC LAPDOCK w/the PHOTON on a daily basis.

Upvote 0
All the VZW stores in my area have neither one in stock. Only reason I'd be interested again in the 500 is if all functions work w/the PHOTON w/the upcoming ICS/JB update.
Currently,the VGA & ETHERNET ports, along w/the webcam, are inoperable w/the PHOTON 2.3.5/LAPDOCK 500 combination. It's why I sold mine, but, still use the BIONIC LAPDOCK w/the PHOTON on a daily basis.

KOLIO - were there any modifications needed to use the Bionic lapdock? When I connected my phone to the Bionic lapdock my friend has, it went into webtop mode, but I wasn't able to do anything except access the mobile view.

Upvote 0
Mine does that sometimes. Usually a re-boot or two takes care of that. No modifications are needed for further operation.

Another FYI on the BIONIC LAPDOCK :

If you prefer to use an external peripheral (mouse) instead of the trackpad,or, just want to disable the trackpad,a rapid double-tap on the trackpad indicating light will disable/re-enable the trackpad.
Not sure if this feature is available on the 100/500 models.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I heard that webtop in ICS is changed to tablet mode... and it isn't like before (MAC Like)
what are you say about it?

Granted this was in response to the Atrix but all points still apply. Just replace the word Atrix with Photon. COPYPASTA for a post I made in a thread on the Moto Owners Forum;

"I've mentioned this elsewhere but in order to understand Webtop3.0 features and functionality you have to think of it this way. Webtop3.0 is ICS Tablet Mode with minor changes. If you have ever tried to edit a document on a tablet you get the general idea as to what Webtop3.0 will be like.

Lets compare the original Webtop to Webtop3.0
Original Webtop-

• Locked down, custom version of Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) with Firefox 8
  • Drawbacks- Performance equivalent to a single core Atom 1.2GHz netbook, locked down version of Ubuntu dating back to 2009
  • Not officially supported by Motorola- It has the ability to use desktop applications like OpenOffice and GIMP (think Photoshop)
  • Not officially supported by Motorola- Has the ability to support external NTFS drives and possibly external DVD/CD-ROM drives
  • Not officially supported by Motorola- Has the ability to support a wider range of USB devices like 10/100 adapters and possibly webcams
  • Not officially supported by Motorola- Closer to standard looking desktop and functions
  • Not officially supported by Motorola- The possibility to have all the above unsupported functions and features without unlocking

Webtop3.0-

• Android Tablet like functionality due to Tablet Mode being built into ICS
  • Advantages- Due to it being Android running tablet mode it offers faster performance in many areas. No integration issues with apps due to it simply being your phone on a bigger screen..
  • Drawbacks- Due to it being Android running tablet mode it lacks almost all of the "Not officially supported by Motorola" items listed above. Many Android apps still lack to proper "Tablet Mode" switch so you will end up with a "phone display on big screen". *Loss of the storage space taken up by the original Webtop and in the case of the Atrix2 this is 2GB just sitting there unused.
  • USB Devices support- Ask someone with a Moto that has already received ICS. If their phone doesn't support that USB device then the Atrix will most like not. If their phone supports that USB device this is not a guaranty that the Atrix will.
  • How to get an idea of what you are getting- Install Docs2Go on an ICS tablet and try to view/edit a document or spreadsheet.(Granted the onscreen KB throws off the comparison but will give you the general idea as far as viewing area and UI)

Keeping these things in mind you have a real good idea as to my position on Webtop3.0.

*This comes from Moto owners on devices that have already received ICS."

Upvote 0
Question to those who use the lapdock 100. I just received mine in the mail and I discovered a pretty bad defect. I'm a pretty fast typist, so I tend to press multiple keys at once. But I discovered when I attempt to type the word "know", I get this weird chain of letters that come out that looks like "knuowzo".

For those of you that use the lapdock 100, can you please try and see if you can replicate this problem? Try typing "know" really fast, or press multiple keys together.

Edit: I also discovered that typing "press" really fast ends up as "prewsps" or "prewss". It's quite irritating. I'm hoping it's just a defective unit, as I like this lapdock better than my other original bionic lapdock. The original bionic lapdock did not have this problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones