1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[OFFICIAL] LG G3 Updates/Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JaRN99, Sep 2, 2014.

1. dosei

dosei Member

When using the LG PC Suite the message is your device is up to date, but you will need to go into the options pull down menu and click on "Update Recovery." That's how I updated to 5.0.1 on my Tmobile G3. Buyer beware, I'm not thrilled with the result, even though I didn't not do a hard reset. I'll consider doing that when I have more time.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bolski

bolski Android Enthusiast

Watch out for the WiFi sync bug that still persists. Basically, things that sync like GMail won't do so when connected to WiFi. You have to disconnect and go to your data plan. Verizon and LG have admitted to the bug and state that an update will be released in the future to address this issue.

KOLIO likes this.
  3. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Android Expert

I'm confused about this bug; it sounds like it's only on Verizon, but it doesn't seem to affect all Verizon G3 users. I wonder how they'll be able to troubleshoot & fix that.

4. spitfire1337

spitfire1337 Lurker

I'm one that hasn't experienced it... Yet. Though I was only on Wi-Fi yesterday all day after applying the update. Haven't touched Wi-Fi yet today so not sure if maybe it's after a disconect/reconnect thing.

5. LucienL

LucienL Lurker

I am experiencing the not syncing bug.....I have to go into Gmail and pull down and it will update or sync with what I just did on the computer...hopefully they (Verizon) will work it out in a new update...liking the 5.0.1 though...the notifications are nice on the lock screen.

6. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie

It's mid April and the roll out started in early February, shouldn't all Sprint G3's have received the update by now? I never received the official update, even weeks after accepting zv6. Maybe because my phone was rooted when I had zv4? Anyone else still waiting?

My younger son pushed things forward by accepting the unrootable zv6 for me (grrr) a month or so ago. Though I missed some things from root access, I don't view it as a necessity like I did with previous phones. I figured I'd get zv8 and root it eventually, but with the inadvertent upgrade to zv6 with no zv8 in sight? I finally decided yesterday to use the flash tool to revert back to zv4, root, installed TWRP and flashed a basic (barepop) zv8 rom, so I'm not waiting anymore.

KOLIO likes this.
  7. bolski

bolski Android Enthusiast

Well, decided to bite the bullet and just upgrade to see how it was. So far, not bad, but the WiFi sync bug has hit me. I use a 3rd party app called MailDroid. I can sync just fine with yahoo mail and my ISP provider (via POP3).

On my home network, it won't work unless I'm on LTE. Might be an IPV6 issue. I'll have to dig into the settings later when I have time to see where I can turn this off in my router. I thought I had, but maybe I didn't.

At work, the WiFi seems to be fine with MailDroid. At other WiFi hotspots, it didn't work either. Again, could be the IPV6 issue.

5.1 LP apparently fixes this issue, but not sure when that will be released, if at all. I have heard from other people that LG/Verizon know of this bug and will issue a patch to fix it. Whether that bumps us up to 5.1 or is just a quick fix that keeps us on 5.0.1 (5.0.2 still has the memory leak), let's hope they fix the WiFi and memory leak for this phone.

Otherwise, appears to be working pretty well. Battery life is about the same (I did a FDR before the update) and it seems to be the same.

8. PaveL_2610

PaveL_2610 Lurker

Spmeone know What is the date release that lollipop version will come through FOTA in Lg g3 ?

9. Rock_Strongo

Rock_Strongo Newbie

10. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast

Either way it's taking them way too long to do anything.

I hate this phone and Android more than any electronic device I've ever owned. It is awful now. The wifi notifications bug? Absolutely unacceptable per both the carriers, LG, and Google. How they can leave any bug like this and just do nothing for MONTHS is astounding. I am ready to ditch android altogether, Google can't pick something and just smooth it out, they've gotta screw with it every time. I'm going to switch to either Apple or go back to a god damn flip phone.

11. dubie7006

dubie7006 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with chmodx. I accidentally started the update and there was no way to stop it. The Verizon notification issue blows nuts and there are several other things I'm not liking about this update. I'd love to go back to JB. Ugh. Update can't come soon enough.

12. PattiCakeUS

PattiCakeUS Android Expert

If you haven't already, make sure you do a factory reset & it might smooth out some of the bugs. Lollipop by itself wasn't a bad update (although I know some people hate the colors, but that's a completely different thing) but some of the carriers definitely had some issues with the updates they rolled out. My son has a Verizon LG G3 & I highly recommended that he backup his data & do a factory reset before installing the update, then another factory reset after installing Lollipop. He did these things, & his experience has been good. My daughter-in-law has a Verizon LG G2, she also did factory resets before & after the update & her experience has also been good.

Obviously it's not a magic bullet & it's different for everyone depending on how you use your phone & what apps you use, etc., but starting with a clean slate before updating & doing another factory reset after the update might help if you're having troubles since updating to Lollipop.

Regarding the wifi notifications issue: I read something on another forum & have no experience with it since I'm not on Verizon & not having this issue, but if you're comfortable messing with your router settings**, you may want to look into it. The advice was "Try changing the IPV6 settings in your router to tunnel 6to4. Leave the other settings as is."

Some Verizon users running Lollipop reported that it fixed their wifi notification issue.

**I take no responsibility for it if you screw up your router settings in any way. Do this at your own risk.

13. mistermsk

mistermsk Newbie

14. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

15. JaRN99

JaRN99 Android Enthusiast

Downloading an OTA update on my Verizon G3....anyone know what it might contain??

16. JaRN99

According to Google search it's 5.1.1....I'll verify once it's done.

17. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Android Expert

According to the Phandroid article, they supposedly skipped 5.1 in order to go straight to 6. So very curious what you end up with.

18. JaRN99

Yep....it's 5.1.1.

19. JaRN99

Here's the info.

Attached Files:

20. Haraldh

Haraldh Newbie

Well, I don't see much here so I'm doing my verizon update now. Really? 27 minutes? geez. Unlike the last update I hope this is better. Going into it blindly. HH

21. madmax988

madmax988 Newbie

Anyone downloaded the 35b 5.1.1 update yet? I kind of want to wait for a changelog before I install it, but verizon still hasn't posted one. Does it fix stagefright (at least the mms portion), so I can finally turn auto-download mms back on? group texts are getting really obnoxious with it off.

22. madmax988

madmax988 Newbie

Wanna keep us posted on whether we should update or not? any bugs you encounter or any new features/changes?

23. JaRN99

I really haven't noticed much different. One thing I have noticed is how the individual app pages load in the Play Store. Other than that seems as if most of the changes were under the hood. Wish Verizon would post the list of what was updated in it.

24. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...