1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[OFFICIAL] LG G3 Updates/Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JaRN99, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Klotar

Klotar Well-Known Member

If you have been following the Android 5.0 Lollipop news in general (all devices, not just LG G3), you will be glad that you don't have it yet. There is a serious memory leak in 5.0 and 5.0.1.

5.0.2, which purportedly fixes this, was only released to the Nexus devices on Dec 19, 2014. Any testing that carriers may have been doing has probably been halted.

I too, love to have the latest/greatest OS, but for this, I can wait.

Advertisement

bolski likes this.
  2. baylakedrive

baylakedrive Member

I downloaded 5.0 to my G3 on Monday (UK) and I rolled back to 4.4.2 yesterday. I did not like the upgrade half my apps didn't work. It just didn't feel like Android they seem to be taking away the customisation bit by bit. But hay that's just me.

3. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

I have been using 5.o on my Nexus tablet and my Nexus 4 (No Phone Service) and I have not had any problems with them. The Tablet I am on every night for three or 4 hours and the phone I use in the bedroom at night to listen to music etc.

4. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Sit back and relax. Here in the US, I'd bet it's at least 6 weeks before we see an update to lollipop.

5. Robert7107

Robert7107 Android Enthusiast

6. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

You don't look like your relaxing. (G) This is my first non nexus phone in a few years so I am getting a bit impatient myself. But at least I do have it on some other devices.

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

My speculation is that the dead horse is still dead.

bolski, KOLIO, mikedt and 1 other person like this.
  8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

If only there was, I don't know, like a holiday weekend in the US followed by the normal catching up and down time that every other business in the US is going through now.

Like, say, the new year or something.

Coupled with the US sensitivity to implied contracts and legal liability.

Or the *fact* that Verizon is going to get this LAST.

Or the fact that I've declared the horse dead.

We seem to all think that mod directives are something that we can all sneak the last word in on.

Let me demonstrate that is a hard rule here and let's reopen this after a nice, long chance to breathe in and breathe out, breathe in and...

Thread cleaned for the second time today and temporarily taking a breath. :D

#158 EarlyMon, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    KOLIO likes this.
  9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

Duplicate topics merged.:)

10. bolski

bolski Android Enthusiast

Sorry. Have to revive the dead horse so I can kick it again. Excellent article for you-know-who:

http://www.greenbot.com/article/286...-yet-running-android-lollipop.html#tk.rss_all

LOL!

UPDATE: Per this article, the LP update has been in the smaller countries, as we all know due to one person's consistent whining, but the US is next:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/01/14/lg-g2-android-5-0-lollipop-update-release/

Especially telling (and we've told a certain person this SEVERAL times yet he continues to blame LG) is this part of the article (note what is in bold):

Notice what I highlighted? Carriers in the US have more control. Key word, carriers. Next is the part of the sentence that says "require manufacturers to submit the update for approval before being released to the public."

Repeat, require manufacturers. The Carriers require manufacturers to submit the update, possibly 4-6 weeks for EACH carrier. EACH carrier. Is it sinking in yet?

Basically, don't blame the manufacturer. Blame the carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint). They have more control here in the US than the overseas counterparts. THAT is your bottleneck. STOP blaming LG. It's not just them affected by this.

There is a thing called patience and it IS a virtue.

#160 bolski, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  11. ShaiMere

ShaiMere Newbie

Got my phone finally!!!!! Wondering if I should update to lollipop or not? Any thoughts? Common problems w/ lollipop update? All feedback is welcomed.

12. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

It no longer matters. i just got a G2 a couple weeks ago and i like the UI even better than the one in Lollipop. First time i ever got the comfort of my old skeuomorphic UI back (even the Notes app reminds me of my old iPhone before iOS 7 ruined it) and i no longer need the updated Android. First time in years i can actually navigate the UI without remembering all of Google's gestures, use the stock apps in place of Google's, and can stand the look of the interface. i have to be 100% happy with my devices, and this includes not only stability and performance, but the UI has to be something i can enjoy looking at. so the issue regarding delayed updates, for me at least, is now moot. the G3 is kept as a spare, but i have found no way to put the G2 UI on the G3. i wish i could, as that QHD display would really pop with it. About the most i could get on the G3 was the homescreen launcher theme, using some third party launcher and a G2 icon pack and an XWidget that copied the older Optimus Weather widget, but i couldn't theme the settings menu or the apps themselves so they kept either the partial Material Design (which isn't that bad because it's not flat, but it's not fully there as some things only work in Lollipop) or kept the usual flat design spin (stock LG apps, notification drawer toggles, etc) and since a recent update made my phone unrootable, i can't work around that with root.

13. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast

I saw it's out for AT&T/TMobile.

If anyone has taken the update, has the fully charged audio chirp alert been removed? I've been griping about it for awhile even though it only beeps once. However, this morning(still on 4.4), it started beeping non-stop.

14. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Android Expert

Mine is on Verizon, and as far as i am aware, the only countries with 5.0 are overseas. an unofficial port exists for users of the Sprint variant but that's it as far as i know.

15. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...